Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 86 was in need of some front ball joints. The dealer wanted to replace the whole control arm for over $200 bucks each. I got some replacement moog joints but they seem to be a little sloppy. Do you guys think it would be okay weld them in place?

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
The ball joints were not designed to be replaced on our cars... Many people have had the same issue as yourself. I will likely get new LCAs when the time comes. Check Rockauto to see if they have them still.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
people have replaces them. search, theres a write up on it. its a pita. and not all aftermarket ball joints fit correctly for the very reason donn said, toyota designed it so the whole control arm would have to be replaced.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well a little tack welding has the joints solid. Only time will tell. Donn, Rock auto doesn't have them but if they did shipping here would be pricey. They wanted 60 bucks to ship ball joints. US. ouch

·
Registered
448 Posts
cant weld

Well a little tack welding has the joints solid. Only time will tell. Donn, Rock auto doesn't have them but if they did shipping here would be pricey. They wanted 60 bucks to ship ball joints. US. ouch
i wouldnt weld for any reason,,,there are there is teflon in the bj that would melt and if an inspector seen it they would fail that forsure....i put moog bjs in my car no problem.....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Carlos for the link. I read it but never found out if tack welding solved anyones problems for good. Hopefully its solved, but only driving will decide.:laugh: My joints were Moog. One was snug and the other loose. Welded them both. Last resort I'll just have to get the new ones.

·
Premium Member
3,676 Posts
I recently ran across this problem when replacing the ball joints on my Supra.

Spicer and Moog PN K9085

I first ordered a pair of Spicers...the joints were different.

Ordered another set of Spicers...got strut rod bushings in the ball joint boxes

Ordered Moog from Carquest...got two different joints.

Here's some pictures of the one that DIDN'T fit in my car.

Here's pictures of the one's that installed correctly

Like I said...I received one of each at different orders. Figured visual pictures should help. The second ball joint is the OE type...nearly identical to the ones I hammered out of the control arms. Hope this helps everyone with future ball joint sourcing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well... actually, there IS an OEM code for lower ball joints..
I've found one for my Celica GT-R AA63 (she's a junior sister of Celica Supra, but 200 kg lighter and with 130hp 4A-GE). And the code is 43308-12030. Though some sources name it as Daihatsu OEM code, anyway they are the same as Daihatsu is Toyota.
Here is an application list for Lemforder (some hell-knows-where-coming-from aftermarket parts manufacturer). (Sorry, it's some info is in russian, but application models are clear)
http://www.elcats.ru/fullinfo.asp?flag=117575804&pid=047036E8
It may fit Celica Supra, I think, but... there might be a more special code for them.
And I don't remember how I found the OEM number... it was some google magic with Spicer and Moog numbers.

Edit: A website of one good parts supplier shows that Toyota has a tie rod or something. Maybe it is a bug, but pay attention when you order parts by numbers!

·
Premium Member
3,676 Posts
Celica ball joints will not work in a Supra...the Supra ball joints have larger studs so the steering arms don't fit a Celica arm. I know this...I just tried to put Celica steering arms on my Supra...had to have the steering arms reamed to fit the Supra ball joint. Than the damn steering arms didn't play nice with RCAs (caused the control arm to hit the brake rotor)...all in a days work I guess!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ouch! Damn... Thanks for the info...

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
ball joint question

yeah so i read that getting the ball joint is a pita and what not and i noticed that 935 sells aftermarket ones and mine are all dead so i wanted to buy some from 935 but i cant even get mine off..... i got the knuckle that goes to the tie rod off and everthing but how to do i get the actual ball joint off? i dont really see any more retaining clips or anything so im kinda confused on how to remove these and put in the new ones?

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
I didnt have problems replacing them on my cressida. I bought 2 of them off rock auto for like 8 bucks each clearence. I took the lower control arms off and went to my local garage and asked them if he could press out my old ones and press me in the new ones. he did it no problem. but he had the ball joint press to do it. charged my 30 bucks labor.

the new ball joints have a little clip that keeps them from moving if they did come unpressed. was easy.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
some one one here posted their method. basically, he used an old round jack stand, heated up the control arm with a torch, place the bottom of the ball joint in the top of the old jack stand and hammered the old ball joint out. then put the new ball joint in the freezer, heat the control arm again, and it should drop in place. let everything come back to normal temp and you should be good. a few guys have mentioned that aftermarket ball joints dont fit 100%, some fit better then others, but its probably a good idea to put a few tac welds on the ball joint just in case. thats what i plan to do when i change mine. or you could just take it to a shop and let them do it.

·
Premium Member
3,676 Posts
some one one here posted their method. basically, he used an old round jack stand, heated up the control arm with a torch, place the bottom of the ball joint in the top of the old jack stand and hammered the old ball joint out. then put the new ball joint in the freezer, heat the control arm again, and it should drop in place. let everything come back to normal temp and you should be good. a few guys have mentioned that aftermarket ball joints dont fit 100%, some fit better then others, but its probably a good idea to put a few tac welds on the ball joint just in case. thats what i plan to do when i change mine. or you could just take it to a shop and let them do it.
They really only require a large hammer to get out and the aforementioned hammer and a beat up socket...but you have to use authority! No press required...and if you take it to a shop this method will most likely be used (if they know what they're doing)

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
FWIW the ball joints that I have in stock have not been tested.

I can't take a control arm off of the cars that I have here. If someone wants to send me a spare control arm for testing, I'll trade it for a free ball joint (1 side).

I show 5 pieces in stock.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
They really only require a large hammer to get out and the aforementioned hammer and a beat up socket...but you have to use authority! No press required...and if you take it to a shop this method will most likely be used (if they know what they're doing)
+1 on this one mark, isnt rocket science, be smarter than the hammer...

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
yeah im on really good terms with the guys at les schwab so they just pressed it out with a couple huge sockets and a good technique hahahaha and they said they would install them for free for me to cause they dont trust me haha its great and little hit for the future gonna need to order two from our friendly supra parts dealer aka 935motorsports and i will test them for you and tell ya how they are once i install mine

1 - 20 of 22 Posts