Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, it was a tough decision to start drilling into my Supras well maintained body, but it became apparent to me that to be more competitive in autocross, I would need some aero aids (at least that's what everyone was telling me). So, here I have my first versions of a front splitter, made of 1/4" Aluminite (an aluminum wall board material, honeycombed center, sandwiched), and the rear spoiler made of 1/4" abs plastic, 10" tall, limit of the rules. Still just testing for benefits now, will get around to painting the splitter black later, and possibly trimming the rear spoiler too. Maybe won't need all 10" height. Sorry for the ugliness. For now I'm looking for purposefull, later for pretty. Tested the car at autocross with just the front splitter, seemed to turn better, less understeer. Not dramatic, but noticeable. I'm hoping the rear spoiler will add some stability in high speed sweepers. Big thanks to Frank C. for idea/design of the front splitter. He used abs plastic for his, which I think is better for daily use, but mine is mostly autocross duty, and extends out to far edge of the bumper, so it won't see normal street usage. Can't wait for the next autox to try this out.

Don L.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Good thing they are functional, cause I would say, RICER! I've never seen anyone with this kind of mod. Let us know how it performs. I don't think I've seen the specs on your wheels? Post some info in the wheels section if you have not.

Is it still gonna be a street car? If so, I suggest keeping the parts off unless you're on the track.

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha, call me a Ricer... at 53 y.o., all it means to me is dinner time :)

Yeah, the car is track only, but I've designed the splitter to come off with wing nuts, and the rear spoiler comes off with 3 screws. Car is street legal, and I will tune the motor on the streets, but would never drive on the streets with that stuff on. Heck, I'm not sure I can get outa my driveway with the front splitter.

Wheels are 15x10 Work Equip, -13mm offset, 275/35-15 Hoosier A6 tires.

Don L.

·
Super Moderator
10,344 Posts
Interesting, I'm curious how beneficial this will be. I've never felt I reached high enough speeds to worry much about aero, but our venues are usually pretty tight and I rarely get out of 2nd gear.

Not to get off topic but how has the car been with the new power from the itbs and SDS? You catching up to those pesky beemers yet?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Those things look serious! They should definately help in the aero department. When's the next test date? I don't think candlestick is the best test site, maybe stockton. Hopefully I'll have my car running and tuned before the divisional. I would like to see how you mounted the spoiler. I had a similar idea with abs, but it was only about 3 inches high, then I chickened out and didn't want to drill holes in my hatch. Went with the little lip on the stock wing instead.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think the splitter looks great! And i'm glad to hear that you can feel at least a little difference in a competitive environment. I did a splitter a few months ago, mainly because I was looking for a more agressive look. I hope to take more advantage of it when I get off the stock suspension. And of course those wheels you have are seriously bad ass.

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think the splitter looks great! And i'm glad to hear that you can feel at least a little difference in a competitive environment. I did a splitter a few months ago, mainly because I was looking for a more agressive look. I hope to take more advantage of it when I get off the stock suspension. And of course those wheels you have are seriously bad ass.

Gosh, everyone else's splitter looks soooo much better than mine! I really need to paint and detail up the front end. The splitter hangs about 4" above the ground, so I can clear large rocks, newspapers, maybe a coke can, but it's not everyday survival worthy. I really like the better "planted" effect on the front end in autox turns. We tend to overdrive the car in turns (resultant understeer), but the car seems more tolerant of aggressive corner entry now.

The rear spoiler is a whole different story. Visually, it's not my favorite either. Almost a Nascar appearance to me, but if it works (and I expect it will), then I will trim and shape it a little to help the look. I also am bothered by not being able to see behind me too well. The abs block half the view out the back. Might go to smoked plexiglass or acrylic to test.
The rear spoiler is attached to the hatch via 3 nutserts installed on the deck. Hated to drill, and bought a used hatch just to practice the install, then drilled mine.

As for the ITBs and SDS system, I'd say the car is at least competitive with the Nat. Champ E46 BMW in DSP. Specs on paper put us well behind, but the San Diego Tour this year had us within 1/2 sec in raw time on some laps. Pretty good for a hilly course. The car's success will hinge on the handling development, thus the aero aids. Frank's 6m with ITBs will easily have 25+ hp on me, so I can gauge my progress on his times too. I might squeeze
180 hp/190ft-lbs out of my engine, but not much more. The ITBs helped my torque more than I expected.

Frank, still got some stablilizer rods for the splitter? If the right length, I could use a few!

Don

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How does that spoiler affect the view out the back window? By the way nice do it yourself solutions for track use.
Pretty much the bottom half of the rear view is gone. Unless you are being followed by a lifted 4x4, you might not know what's behind you. My options include lowering the height of the spoiler, or changing to a see-thru type material. One of the issues is that th rear spoiler has to bend slightly, going from side to side, can't be straight across. The rear of our hatches are slightly curved and I was trying to match that.

Anyway, at our speeds at autox turns of 35-45 mph, I'm expecting to get the rear end to stay more planted, since the tru-trac needs both rear tires to be on the ground to work well.
2 weeks till next autox, we'll see.

Don L.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts