Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Quick question: Does anyone know the diameter of the front swaybar for the MKII Supra? Is it the same among all years (82-86)? I ask because I want to order the polygraphite front end kit from P-S-T.com but they need to know front sway bar diameter. Thanks for any help :)

Kurt

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Still have the original front bar from the factory???

25mm then. That's what you need to tell PST (I ordered the front bushing kit from them a year ago).

They were the same diameter from 82 - 86. No changes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, Thanks Chris! Yes I still have the original from the factory (i.e., stock) sway bar. Are you suggesting I should order one of those from them also? I think they said I can get one cheaper if I order it along with the front end kit.... or maybe that was for the strut bar... I'll figure it out. Thanks again! :)

Kurt

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Kurt,

Don't bother ordering the "front bar" that PST sells. I've seen it in the mail catalogs that PST sends to me. These guys need to get their act together sometimes..... The front bar that PST sells (can't remember the name & I just looked at my catalog last week) is actually a strut bar upgrade for the RA Celica. And that upgraded bar is the same diameter as the stock MA Supra factory bar.

Just save some $$$$$ and just order the front bushing kit (and the rear CAB kit also).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Chris,
Thanks for the help! What is the "rear CAB" you refer to? I forget what CAB stands for (it IS an acronym isn't it?)
By the way, what did you think of the bushing kits, do they feel pretty good? How are they now after a year's time? What did you use for the rest of your suspension (springs/shocks/struts)?
Greyfalcon and I are about to purchase 2 sets of the bushing kits and we came across this question of Sway bar diameter. By the way how did you come up with 25mm? I can't find a number in my TSRM, Haynes, or internet! Talk to you later...

Kurt

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Kurt,

"Rear CAB": Rear Control Arm Bushings. :oops:

I got the numbers for the original sway bar size diameters from the various 1982 magazine write-ups, when the MKII's came out & all of the usual magazines of the day were doing the new model/test drives on them. From there, I also have copies of the 1982 - 1985 Toyota New Model Press Release's (thanks to Archie Bowles), and nothing is mentioned about any suspension changes. I also have a few magazine articles from the same period (84 , 85), and again, no changes to the suspension. So yes, you won't find the sway bar diameters listed in the Haynes, TSRM, or the Chilton's manuals. Or the Owners Manual. The Internet, you kind of have to poke around....

As of right now (1 year later), the suspension pretty much feels the same, as it did when I first changed over everything. Still have the stock springs and swaybars (didn't lower the car or upgrade to the Addco's). Basically about all I did, was put in the new PST bushings, installed a slightly used set of Tokico Illumina's (the CORRECT ones for the MKII), that I purchased from Don Lew, did a 4 wheel alignment, and installed the front/rear Cusco STB's. Just recently, I reset the Illumina's to "summertime driving mode" (stiffened them up from the #3 setting to #4 on all 4 corners), and the car feels stiffer again. It will probably be even more harsh, when I put the 16" Compomotive's back in "sometime" next month, if not sooner.

Last year, I made the big change from DEAD OE suspension bushings (w/ about 265K miles), DEAD Tokico HP shocks/struts that had about 125K miles on them, and NO STB's..... to all of the new stuff.... Yep, big difference!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts