Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As soon asd the snow goes away I will be taking the task of change my fuel filter. I had the tank out so there is little to no pressure in the system(that's why i thought now would be a good time).

Is there anything i should know about before i start this, or is there anything i will run into that the haynes manual doesn't cover?

85 p-type 6m

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Just give yourself a couple hours, and you probably want a friend there to help you as well.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
Well, the easiest way to do it is to pull the engine. Then its not so bad.

Just kidding, well sort of. I'd say this is the single most frustrationg maintenance part to change on the mk2. You will need to get at it from under as well as over so remove the splash guard shield thing on the bottom and attack the threads on the filter with a good penetrating lubricant beforehand. Next time I do mine (which conviently I've put off till when I drop in a 6m) I plan to relocate this sucker to somewhere on the unibody. Good luck and don't wreck any fuel lines!

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
For the bottom line/fitting,try to get a wobbly socket,and about 16-18" of extension,makes short work of it.The top line,is best removed,from underneath,with a box wrench,and some creative hand/arm positioning.
Putting the damn thing back together can be a lesson in futility.The friggin washer/gaskets tend to disapear into the suspension,buy extras!!!
:D

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ack, this does not sound like a walk in the park, oh well, when the snow melts, it's one of my first priorities.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Never tried to replace one while the engine was in it. Luckily i decided to change when the engine was out of the car...doesn't sound like its too much fun!!!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
This job is such a bitch on ramps that I would consider having a Dealer do it next time. Try to break loose the lines before you take the brackets off of the motor, if you have the right tools, and yes it is easy to drop the copper gaskets when putting it back on. Another thing that you should have done on that side of the motor is to replace the hose from the thermostat housing that runs back under there. It never gets replaced until it breaks, and I couldn't even reach it on ramps, so I did have the Dealer do that one when I replaced all my hoses.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
IMO the car should be on stands -- much more room underneath for the job vs. ramps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This job really sucks, trust me. I do mechanic work on aircraft for a living, and it took me 2 hours to change a stinking filter. Make sure that you don't wear watches or rings that can get caught on things and a set of mechanic's gloves are helpful. Hopefully you don't have fat hands... :evil:

·
Registered
351 Posts
It's tricky, but not impossible. Just make sure you get it back together tight or it WILL leak.

·
Registered
71 Posts
if you have the right tools and little but of mechanical apptitude its not that hard, just make sure you have plenty of ratchet extensions, a well lit work area and put the car on jackstands. it also helps to have another set of hands to help with the job.

·
Premium Member
6,112 Posts
:evil: 17MM SOCKETS!! I just did this-Loosen top supply w/17 Socket and some extension-Enough Extension and you can slide rite on this bolt-Go to bottom bolt-I had enough room after disconnecting tranny ground wire to get one socket click on my wrench-Just enough to loosen bolt-Put out fire from Sudden Gas Shower-Kidding-Two bolts that hold filter bracket on block are visible thru Manifold Hoses and such-Got socket heads on Both Those-12MM I think-One towards front has oval hole-after bracket is off, you should have enough slack to put new filter on away from block-This helped me avoid lost washers and such(Except Im such a lousy R&R guy-I just plain forgot them-I did it twice!)Bolt up oval bracket hole first with new filter finger tight and lines oriented properly-Bolt up back hole-Torque up bolts-1 click at a time on bottom-Have a Frosty adult Beverage! Ive done a few of these-Always just scissior/Hydraulic jack-My 2,000 Cents-Have Fun-Mike

·
Registered
109 Posts
when doing ine i had no problems that i could remember except that i forgot to take out the plastic caps in the new fuel filter when trying to put it on that burnt up about ten or fifteen minutes trying to figure out ehy the damn thing wouldnt thread on but i pulled it off again and figured out that i was a dumbass about it but like i said i had no problems i just had to figure out where to slide my hands in that will do some good oh well good luck on it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts