Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Founding Member
6,331 Posts
I don't remember seeing it at any marinas when I had a boat. Remember one of the biggest arguments for using ethanol in the first place was as a replacement for MTBE which was polluting freshwater lakes.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada You have to take this site with a grain of salt and do your own research. They show some listings in nonattainment counties where its actually illegal to sell it so I wouldn't set out on a trip without calling ahead.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So I ended up doing 13 gallons of white vinegar for 12 hours, followed by a hot 2800 PSI pressure wash with a 15* nozzle, then a neutralizing baking soda and water. Then 24 hours with full force air circulation, then isopropyl etoh wash, then 4 quarts of Redcoat sealant. Ran like a Japanese watch after reassembly.

The pressure washing post acid took every bit of crap off quickly and easily...it looked like a new tank inside when finished. I do understand the reservation of water in a fuel tank though.

My pump tested fine outside the car, and in the harness, but definitely wasn't running @ full pressures because the new one primed and fired right away.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
There's also tho that short little rubber hose that connects between the fuel pump and the fuel line that stays submerged. I've had one of those go soft and burst. It has to be now a certain specification SAE 30R10 hose that is designed to be submerged in ethanol. When you get a replacement fuel pump, the hose supplied with it may or may not meet that specification so I'd recommend to ditch whatever comes with the pump unless it specifically says it meets the spec, and instead buy a length of the good stuff online.

I've been following for decades advice given me by an outboard engine mechanic who told me if I wasn't sure that I'd use a whole tank of fuel in one season, to only put in no more than I expected to use and then just add a gallon or two of fresh fuel each time I went out. Plus I add some fuel stabilizer tho he said as long as I bought Top Tier gasoline, it wasn't necessary. Keeping the walls of the tank wetted with the anti-corrosion additives is a good idea. So if you drive the car around often enough, once a month or so, its going to slosh the fuel around the tank and coat the walls. But if you let it sit for months or years at a time, then the chemicals evaporate or run down the sides of the tank eventually leaving the metal unprotected. Another benefit of regular interval driving, even just around the block a few times, is that it keeps the fuel "mixed" so that the ethanol and water don't separate and rust out the bottom of the tank too. And of course making sure to keep the tank sealed up good will help too (mine still makes that whooosh sound when I open it up even if its sat for months).
This small hose was split (at least the outer sheathing) on my car

21 - 23 of 23 Posts