Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rebuilt 5mge in a 4runner with about 450Km on motor. After working out timing and getting it running smoothly it developed a weird problem. It would drive smoothly for about 5 min., then without warning the CE light comes on and the engine dies. It may or may not start back up and if it does, it'll drive for about 1 more minute before dying again. Sometimes it'll lunge and cough before dying.. like it's getting intermittent fuel. So here's the weird part: my buddy has the idea to switch around the "fuel-return-to-tank lines" ie, the line returning from the fuel rail that connects to the short hard-line bolted to the block (i'm assuming the bit of hard-line slows the fuel flow) and the line coming out the other side of the "bit of hard-line" that returns to the tank. We switched the lines on the "bit of hard-line" and she fired right up. Drove for a week like that, just cherry. Then yesterday she started lunging and dying again. The fuel filter is brand new but i swapped it for my old one this morning. After blowing through both filters i noticed the new filter had noticeably more resistance than the old one. Has anyone heard of a defective, new fuel filter?? Anyways i threw the old filter in and she's driving mint again. My worry is that i havn't fixed the problem and the motor could die again at any time... seemingly without cause.

Another thought: i took off the TPS at one point to swap it to a different intake, but decided to just change the throttle body and bolted the tps back on. Could i have messed with the TPS in some way? would that cause my problem? It's a 3-pin TPS though and the tsrm only explains the 4-pin.

Any thoughts? Thanks!!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts