Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel pump on my XX, 83, is whirring (I cant spell).
Is it meant to? Or is it on its last legs?
Can it be reconditioned? Or better to get a new one?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Came across this dead thread when "searching" for the same problem of whining or whirling sound from fuel pump - very high pitched and noticeable. Happend to me on my 85. Then went away. Couple of days later on way to work, went into failure mode - at least that's what I think. AAA towed it home. Anyone have any experience in this type of failure - noises first and then failure?

·
Founding Member
6,423 Posts
Yes. BTDT. Stick with a Toyota brand pump tho. I've had that happen many times with so-called "high-performance" aftermarket pumps.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Agreed here.... Stay w/ a Toyota pump if you are still on a stock motor.

<------- Waiting for his A/C Delco FP to die, hopefully it's going to last for awhile before it happens.

(Reason for the above story... Was on his way home from the Supras Invade Las Vegas event (SILV). Fuel pump crapped out in Northern California, specifically Yreka. Nearest Toyota Dealer was 35 miles back to the south in Redding. Wanted to get home & did NOT want to wait around for part to be delivered. Took what was the only thing available in town).

·
Registered
605 Posts
I had the same problem with my car, but it went away after I change the fuel thank mine was pretty rusted in the inside and the small filter inside the fuel tank was full of sand side pices of rust that wouln't let the gas pass to the engine. After I change that the sound went way. i don't think you have problems with your car but just wanted to share how hard was for me to figure out why was the pump making so much noises.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
If you need to change the original fuel pump, it is also time to change out the fuel filter on the side of the engine block as well. BTDT.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yup, my (napa) fuel pump crapped out on me a week ago. Thought it was the starter so got a new one from Toyota (of course) for $169 without core exchange; nope that wasn't the fix. The (toyota) intank-fuel pump was next for $296, then the filter for $24 which did solve the problem.
moral of story-go with toyota

-When purchasing the fuel pump, the parts guy let me view the computer which shows a TSRM-like diagram that can zoom in/out to specific parts...anyhow, the list of fuel pump showed 3. I recall the parts guy pointing out that 84-85 (ending in sept 85) model had a specific pump part number while the 86 (mk2) a different.

here are the parts number I got: From TOYOTA
intank fuel pump- 23220-16084 $23.91 w/tax
intank fuel filter- 23217-16042 $296.27
starter remanufactured-28100-45050-84 $169.92

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks

Hey guys thanks for the info i have been having this same prob for going on six months now lol i changed the fuel filter not to bad with snap-on swivels a huge ass extension and ingersol rand titanium impact lol but any how it didnt change the sound or running of my car so i appreciate this it bothers the piss out of my friends im used to it now

1 - 9 of 9 Posts