Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so heres my problem.. One day my 5mge started to sputter if i would go into the gas quick. it would run fine if took off slowly. it also would sometimes not start right away but most of the time it started fine. then it got to the point where it wouldnt start at all.. i then took it to a shop close to home and they said it was my maf. so i buy a new maf and it still wont start.. now i thiking its the fuel pump? Im only 18 and have never heard of a problem like this so any advise is appreciated. thanks

·
POTATO
17,232 Posts
mk2s don't have MAFs, we have AFMs

there is a yellow single pin connector near the AFM, jump that out with a paperclip, turn the key to ON, and listen to the intake side of engine for gas going through return.

·
Registered
166 Posts
yeah i would point towards fuel on this one in most cases if you had an ignition problem it would not cause the car to sputter it would just run or not or miss see if you can check fuel pressure and i would definitely start with a fuel filter they arent fun to change but far from impossible

-Justin-

·
Registered
356 Posts
check your timing. make sure the indicators on the cam gears line up with the indicators on the rear timing cover when the crank pulley is at 0 degrees.
i just had the same kinda issue and this was the problem. try advancing your distributor timing, if it starts/runs any better, your belt might have slipped a cog or two on the crank, retarding your cams.

·
Registered
607 Posts
mine did the same thing on my 82 and it was the fuel filter. I have rust in my tank so before the fuel pump I put a filter on and then I have that one after. So I change that one every 4th oil change

1 - 7 of 7 Posts