Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Continuing on w/ my 1986 MKII tank repair...onto the fuel level sending unit.
This was a one owner car when purchased, but it was parked for 8yrs after running 205K miles. The fuel gauge previously gave erroneus indications, both the display and low-level indicator light. The unit was badly rusted, so I removed the rhoestat cover to inspect the internals & see if it could be salvaged. (I have yet to locate a source for a replacement unit.) Interestingly, the rheostat wiper has a spot where it has completely worn thru. The previous owner must have consistently kept the tank around 3/4 full, causing the increased wear in this one area. I'm not sure how to solve this problem. Has anyone rebuilt one of these units, or found replacement parts to sub into the assembly. Does anyone know the stock rheostat ohms specs for corresponding fuel gauge display levels?

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Have you checked with Mark at Vancouver Toyota in the vendors section for a new sending unit? I had the same problem with my 88 Corolla with the wiper wearing through at just over 200,000 miles on the clock and I replaced the sending unit with a genuine Toyota part.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't checked w/ him yet. I think on an earlier post 8/24/09 - Mark indicated that the sending unit was no longer available.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts