Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i could REALLY use some help on this one..
Ok, after removing the fuel injectors and cleaning them all up, i reinstalled them (new washers, new gaskets, new o rings) and put the intake manifold back together.
now, the engine turns over STRONG but wont start.
we loosened the banjo bolt for the fuel rail, and turned the key on, and fuel sprayed out (dumb way to test it, i know) but, we know it's getting fuel now.

When i first bought this car, we discovered the fuel pump was bad. So we replaced it with an OEM toyota fuel pump for an 83 celicasupra.
The new fuel pump is working properly, but when we replaced it, there was a white wire which we got to from the small circular access hole in the trunk for the fuel system. That white wire was supposedly the power wire for the fuel pump, it was not getting power. We bypassed that wire by running a test wire from the battery to the pump...
The car turns over great but won't run.
I have the relay for the EFI system right here in my hands, i'm thinking of purchasing a new one, but i just have no clue why the car won't start.

Thanks so much everyone.
-Josh

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
There is a grounding wire with 3 or 4 wires attached to a copper terminal that bolts to the intake manifold where the 2 halves bolt together. I would be willing to bet you missed that when you put it back together. It happens alot. It will never start without that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OMG! YOURE RIGHT! i took that wire set off, i know what you're talking about, my dad put the car back together for me, cuz i had to work, but i bet he missed it! i'll go check!
THANKS!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, i just checked it, and it's on there, the same spot it was before, but there's 5 wires going to it. We painted the manifolds with hi temp paint...that couldn't cause a bad ground could it??...
-Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Sorry I was wrong about the wire count, I guessed :) Paint shouldnt be a problem, I have wrinkle paint on my upper intake manifold and it works fine. Maybe the cold start injector is not firing, I cant think of anything else off the top of my head.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, i'll go check that out.
THANKS AGAIN man
i wasn't trying to be rude or nothin about the wire count :p i was just tellin how many were really there...
Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, i just did a resistance check on the cold start injector:
4.2 ohms. it says to be between 50-70 or 70-90.
it's 4.2.
it gets power when the engine is cranking, i checked that also....so...that means the Cold Start Injector's bad?

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
do you hear the injectors firing when you turn the engine over? its a clicking sound. also, did you check for spark? if there was no power to the fuel pump then there is a relay or fuse thats bad somewhere and it may be affecting other things. check the relay and see if its working. if not then replace it. there is a diagram on the relay. the 2 pins for the line with a coil drawn there, connect one to + and the other to ground. it should click. if not its bad.
william

1 - 8 of 8 Posts