Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know well the options, but I want to hear from some of you guys who have been driving these things around.

1.) What is your setup. (control type, injector size, boost levels, any tampering with the afm?)
2.) How does it perform? Do you have dyno sheets with integrated A/F ratio?
2.5.) How economically does it perform? Have you recorded any mileages? Any rich/lean conditions off-boost?
3.) Were there any major drawbacks with your method?
4.) Total cost of fuel system alone?

If you must know, I have finally broken down and am purchasing a turbo for my blackpra. I am collecting parts for a custom 3" mandrel bent downpipe, oil lines (might just giveup and buy a RabidChimp set...), and looking around for intercooling options. Fuel is only needed up to about 7-10psi. Whatever I can squeeze out safely. Tuning will be done on a dyno.

--BillyM
*gets excited*

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I have stock injectors with about 2 clicks on the AFM. The milage is about the same. I used to get about 230 per tankful now I get about 220 city driving. So far I don't have any drawbacks to my system. Haven't been to the track yet.

·
Registered
794 Posts
295cc injectors, stock fuel pump, cartech FMU set to 60psi. AFM wheel 10 clicks clockwise. SAFC2 set from -45% low throttle to +25% high throttle.

check my website for dyno sheet. It is running rich at low throttle settings.

With 1 step colder plugs gapped at .31 it gets 14mpg (less than 200 miles on a tank). With stock plugs and gap the gas milage is MUCH better. I run stock plugs and gap daily driving and put in the colder plugs when I go to the drags or dyno. I have not run the stock plug with the smaller gap yet. I may try that. It might be a good compromise.

I run 76 or Chevron super only.

·
Founding Member
6,424 Posts
6m-gte with Cartech FMU set to a rate of about 5.5 to 1, and 42psi at atmospheric feeding 210 injectors from Bosche pump rated 25gph at 90psi. One step colder plugs and a MSD6BTM set to about 1.5 to 1, starting at 3psi. Unbelievable driveability on this thing but I haven't dynoed or raced save for a couple autoXs. Mileage anywhere from 22 to 28mpg highway depending on leadfootedness. Passes ASM smog test with flying colors. Motor Toyota shoulda built in the first place but with a proper ECU and injectors of course, not this jury-rigging crap I'm running. Lots of quality problems with MSD garbage and issues with fuel pumps. Final fuel and timing setup cost me about $1100 not including research and development costs. Just go ahead and get Rabid's plumbing. Cost me twice as much to get similar quality made up locally. Avoid MSD products, I'd try Crane next time - solid state digital circuitry as opposed to sensitive analog components in the MSD.

Phil D.

·
Registered
430 Posts
1.) What is your setup. (control type, injector size, boost levels, any tampering with the afm?)

I have S-AFC, 295's, 9psi afm at stock setting

mine put down 233hp/265 torque at the wheels on the dyno, I do have a dyno sheet on the mk2 list photo's section I think it is.

2.5.) How economically does it perform? Have you recorded any mileages? Any rich/lean conditions off-boost?

I am as well running NGK copper plugs one step colder than stock gapped to .32, gas mileage sucks around town, between 12-15mpg, and 26 on the highway with the cruze at 65mph with 4.30 gears in the rear

other then gas mileage it works very well I have static pressure at 40psi with a 4-1 disk in the vortec SFMU.

The reason for the high static pressure is it allows me to tune the car better with the S-AFC. I have no lean conditions throughout the rpm range and in fact in high fuel mode ALL the percentages are negative across the boost range all the way up to 9psi. I have my low throttle all the way down across the rpm range and I have the hi/low fuel setting at 24% throttle due to the cruze control taking the throttle up to that when I accellerate and it causes no lack of fuel in the cylinders.

$250 SAFC
$275 SFMU
$100 Injectors and clips
$125/hr on dyno

If you must know, I have finally broken down and am purchasing a turbo for my blackpra. I am collecting parts for a custom 3" mandrel bent downpipe, oil lines (might just giveup and buy a RabidChimp set...), and looking around for intercooling options. Fuel is only needed up to about 7-10psi. Whatever I can squeeze out safely. Tuning will be done on a dyno.

--BillyM
*gets excited*[/quote]

if you have any further questions please feel free to email me about my setup. I have been running this car since march of 2002 and no problems yet so I guess I am doing something right. also my 6M has never been opened up only to do valve seals...the head has never been off the car.

cya

·
Registered
501 Posts
Don't know if this is much help as I don't have results yet, but:

_HOT_M16 said:
Megasquirt for fuel, 440s off a mk3t, hoping for ~10psi, no afm
Don't know yet. It sure squirts good while cranking! But my motor won't run yet-- ignition problem.

Don't know yet but it *should* run pretty well! very tunable!

Lots of prep work and wiring. A full weekend of assembling the megasquirt, another weekend of wiring (which could be done more easily if stock harness is used). Need an IAT somewhere and coolant temp sensor calibration.

hmm
$200 for megasquirt parts, add maybe $100 if you get someone to assemble it and get a cable made.
$50 in wiring, solder, etc, if planned well
$80 for injectors (new! go to www.surplusparts.com, must pay $50 proc fee tho), using old clips (bad idea i think)
$30 for an IAT, coolant temp sensor and pigtails (pigtails you can get from a yard... they're like $9 otherwise!!)
ought to have a laptop for tuning though not necessary

megasquirt project can really add up quickly if not planned correctly, but otherwise has a good price/perf. ratio if ease of installation isnt key. i definitely spent more on wiring because i just made frequent trips to auto parts stores with overpriced electrical supplies. it also took me a good amount of research and stuff to be confident assembling it and putting it in my car but i really didnt know much about engine managemetn or electronics or anything going into it. a fuel pump might be a necessary next upgrade though maybe not with 440s 'cause the pressure can still be 35-40psi.

cool, man.

aaron g's making me a turbo back downpipe for a pretty good price, if you don't have one lined up already, you might want to talk to him.

if you get a turbo with the stock oil lines, i bet you could get away with cutting them, flaring them *slightly*, bending back the ridge, and hose clamping something to them really tight. i flared mine too much and i think the edge of the metal tube is eating into the hose but i ghettoly tested them with water and compressed air and didn't have any leaks... it's a free set up pretty much. if you didnt wanna do that your best bet would be rabidchimp kit... i tried 5/16" compression fitting on teh stock lines, which leaked, they did for Phil D. as well, and it'll probably be hard to braze a brass fitting on those aluminum lines.

let me know what you find as far as intercooling options go. i was originally going to try a volvo or mk4 intercooler but hte piping seemed like it would just be an awful task so i'm using a mk3. if anyone wants a volvo or mk4 intercooler let me know

although i haven't run mine yet, i do wish i got arp studs and a new head gasket. i also wish the rod/stroke ratio of the 6m wasn't so small and i didn't keep hearing stories about < 100k 6 and 7ms with rod knock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts