Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 83 celica supra and for a while my gas gauge is not working properly. Most of the time it would stay empty, the highest the gauge ever gone is half tank and a few minutes later back to empty. Has anyone had this problem? What do I need to do to solve this problem? HELP? :? :?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Most likely, it's the sending unit in the gas tank. Although I haven't done this on a Supra, I'd assume its the same process. Just drop the fuel tank and remove the unit where the wires run into the tank. Replace with a new one...
You may get lucky like I did with my old '78 Ford LTD and just plug the connector back into the sending unit! Nothin' like driving around in your first vehicle for several months without a fuel gauge, only to find one day while washing the car that this wire looks like it could fit that connector!!! DOH!!! :oops:

·
Super Moderator
8,356 Posts
Take the sender out of the gas tank (under the plate in the trunk by the spare tire) and pry the square cover off. Then take some steel wool or similar and clean all the windings off. Reassemble and see if that helps. Also make sure the swiper makes good contact with the coil.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts