Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I got a good gastank off my parts 83L. Pulled the tank from my 82P, which leaks from the seam (difficult to seal). The connectors and hoses were different, so I pulled the six or seven screws from the cap and switched them over, so now the old cap is in the new tank. The 83L had IN-TANK pump, my 82 has OUT-OF-TANK pump. The tanks APPEAR to be the same size, and aside from the location of the pump, everything seems to be identical (now that I have switched caps). Everything hooked up fine, guage works, etc, no leaks. I CAN NOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME STRAP THE DAMN THING BACK UP!! I tried everything! No matter what happens, I am still about 1/2 to 1 inch short. Is there a trick to it, or are the 82 and 83 tanks a different size? Im going back outside now to beat on it some more, hopefully someone will have some insigt. Thanks!!

-Ken

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE:

Got the tank on, after much cursing. Now the gas guage does not work, it registers under E, but the low-fuel light does not come on. I checked the connections and they seem to be fine. It is the same float/sending unit from the old tank, which worked when I pulled it, so I dont know why it would suddenly not work.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Is it possible that the float arm got bumped out of alignment when you were installing it in the new tank or when you were wrestling the tank into place? It may just be not hitting the right spot on the contact(wrong word)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not familiar with tanks, so Im not sure. It didnt seem that there was any float. There are two "caps" that come off, one has wires coming out of it, the float I assume, which I didnt touch. The other has the fuel lines in it, which is the one I switched. There were two tubes, one large one small, and the large one had a filter/screen on it. That was all that was on there.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I remember a post about a low fuel light and it ended up being the float and the rod it rides on. IIRC there are "pick up points" on the rod and as the float slides up and down it contacts these points sending back the various level readings to the gauge. What had happened was the rod/float had become dirty or worn and wasnt making contact. It is also possible that the rod/float got pushed down a little so it is reading incorrectly.
Or I could be way off...its about 3am and I am taking a break from a wiring project on the car. :roll:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts