Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully this will turn some eyebrows :naughty:

Gauging interest in a carbon fiber Eurospec hatch spoiler (whale tail)

It weighs a ton, especially when wet as the original rubber absorbs moisture. I know I could mould it in polyurethane, as essentially it's like a BIG whisker; however, to pour, the mould itself would be very pricey (~$1000) and the material cost to produce equal to if not more than carbon fiber.

Made in carbon fiber and composite rubber would reduce the weight by 80% and could be done more cost effectively by vaccum bagging.

I'm thinking cf upper wing, rubber supports against the body:

I might even add a go-pro mount to it... any comments, questions or concerns? :confused:

You might ask, where's the prototype? When did you want it...I just took it off the car today. :sarcasm:

How much? That depends...perfection comes with a price. I'd like to make it affordable and not create a ton of extra work for me, I'm just a 'one dragon' show.

When could they be ready? Depends if there's interest. I will be able to devote my time fully to a project come September.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
You can count me in on the whale tail.. I want this to happen BAD! Is this the larger whale tail, or medium sized one?

Also down for the upper wing, but want to see a whale tail before this! Lol

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Come to think about it, is that a Foha? Can't tell from pics as they do look alike..

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You called it, FOHA made in Austria, Europe. Not sure I'd want it any bigger, not sure with louvers, but this looks to be about the right size IMO.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know i've never even seen one in person so it would be tough for me to commit, but i like where your head is at.
Right on G, you know when the time comes, I got you covered. Since it hasn't been done before (at least not to my knowledge) I couldn't ask for any kind of commitment before even a prototype is made. Luckily I have a great model to work with so I don't have to start from scratch.

You can count me in on the whale tail.. I want this to happen BAD! Is this the larger whale tail, or medium sized one?

Also down for the upper wing, but want to see a whale tail before this! Lol
I'll be making one prototype (at least). The sunshade is on my 'to do' list. Thanks for chiming in, first come first served...

·
Registered
504 Posts
I too might be interested once the prototype is complete. As much as I like CF, I would want it to match the gloss sunshade on my 84. I think it would complement my blue paint very well. Thanks for doing these and let the community know how its going.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^ nice shot :thumbsup:

Thanks for doing these and let the community know how its going.
A couple days in we have a preform (not a prototype), just something to use for planning the process

...it's one thing to make a 'one-off', another thing to plan a run (seems like there's interest)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^ sizzlin' :cool:

If complete, what would pricing be at? There's definitely interest!
I'd like to bring it in at around 269 euros :sarcasm: ...we'll see, still a ways to go yet - just got the initial mould made:

If it works, then after some tweaking on the prototype, it'll have to be done all over again :rolleyes:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mockup:

....still rough around the edges, needs trimming. I was experimenting with kapton film to colour match my wheels and pinstripe.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
How's fitment? Looking good! Three-piece Vestatec will stay off for this.. How's it mounted? Double sided tape, screws?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Must keep carbon fiber away from paint... (that's why I have a spare hatch) :naughty:

Thanks 86, this one will have both bolts and stuck on with double sided VHB tape like the original. I've decided it'll replace the spoiler on our track car, lightening the load by ~20lbs. It was overdesigned - 3 layers cf, 2 layers fiberglass and foam core. Mistakes were made, but each new project has its learning curve. This was a challenge. There were no natural mating surfaces, such as a hatch or hood and the surfaces are all curved. It required a precision of moulding I hadn't done before but fitment is great, better than expected for a trial. Just tweaking it in the vacuum bag by 1/8 inch can throw it off and the footings still need to be contoured. I'm planning to do something a little different next time. This particular model of spoiler was never designed to be moulded in carbon fiber...I might as well be making airplane wings. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts
Customers are lining up.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
New moulds...

new materials...

n

new design...

The wing will be made with fiberglass reinforced unidirectional carbon fiber (plus foam core), the footings will be poured polyurethane.
I don't want to have to drill holes, hopefully VHB tape will do the trick...we'll see after the first born :sarcasm:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts