Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Which Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gauging Interest - Jim King MK2 AC Retrofit Kit

24K views 77 replies 28 participants last post by  RaptorRacing 
#1 ·
Folks;

since Jim can't post a POLL I'm posting this on his behalf...he will be running this group buy. Any and all questions (with the exception of Canadian Shipping) will go through him and here is the text he gave me:

Features:
o Supports R134a
o Fits either 5M or 7M motor
o Support for 1J/2J motor
o All new parts. It replaces all parts from the firewall evaporator connectors to compressor.
o Most all replacement parts are easily available.
o Engineered for durability, safety and future serviceability.

What you get
o Brand new compressor (5M or 7M configuration only)
o For 1J/2J compressors, possibility of a premium rebuilt NipponDenso with external warranty.
o All new hard and soft lines, o-rings and a squirt bottle of Nylog for o-ring sealing
o Inline AC filter.
o High / Low pressure automatic cut off switch.
o Spal low profile fan
o Custom Multi-pass parallel flow condenser

Price
o $950US which includes shipping in the lower 48.
o Possibility for Canadian Shipments will go through George(Raptor Racing). Extra fees will apply.

Spare Parts for any existing kit
o Condenser: $115 + shipping
o New Seltec Compressor $250 + shipping

Production Schedule
I can only say that this project would be completed this summer. I’m guessing sometime in August. So you’ll get to enjoy 2-3 months of AC comfort.
Then when it rains, you will have the fastest defogger.

Notes
The price went up for various reasons. Several AC parts suppliers and fabricators I used before are no longer in business.
Plus I have to outsource a good amount of this.

1/2JZ support. The factory mount points are very specific, which might require the end user to have some welding done.
I might require a test subject to prefit a set of lines so I can get the correct lines made.

I do not have pricing yet on premium rebuilt 2JZ compressors. Note, these will have a warranty. I’m guessing at least $250.

Improvements since last kit
o Revised drier bracket.
o All lines welded (not brazed)
o Improved mating connector between evaporator and EPR.

Voting options
o 5/6M
o 7M
o 1JZ / 2JZ

Your vote is public. Only vote if you are going to proceed with the buy.

See less See more
#5 ·
so the 2j kit comes with a compressor as well? i should know in the next week or so if i can pop on a kit now or not.

#6 ·
In for a 7m kit. I am super excited thanks jim!

question:

What items need to be re-used? I currently have everything removed in the engine bay. mounts, brackets, switches, EPR all that stuff... the only thing left from my stock system is the evaporator (which will be replaced) and the engine bay harness.

It would be nice to know the items I need to track down to complete the install. what about things like mounting brackets, the EPR, line clips/spacers, OEM sensors etc.?

#7 · (Edited)
Consolidated answers to posted questions
What items need to be re-used? [snip...]
Existing items required:
  • Temperature sensor at AC condenser (black thing)
  • EPR valve (which the kit contains replacement O-rings if one wants to rebuilt it)
  • Thermostatic valve connection that goes to the EPR
  • Factory AC compressor engine mounting bracket
  • Power feed to AC compressor (one wire setup)
  • Lower condenser mounting bolt/bushing setup
  • Power feed to old AC condenser fan (not sure why one remove it...)
  • AC relay (back by the washer bottle)

Evaporator
If your evaporator connections has been open for any period of time, either replace the evaporator or have it cleaned and pressure tested.
Leaky evaporators can be a real pita to diagnose leaking systems.

2J Compressor
I've allotted $250 for a premium rebuilt 2J compressor. If the price is more, the 1/2J kit price will reflect this.
2J kits also allow a no-compressor option. Tentative price reduction would be $250.

#11 ·
New OEM might be more challenging since the last GB. If you have to get aftermarket, I'd suggest investigating Four Seasons products.

If you are taking apart your dash for the evap core replacement, re-seal all the plastic ducting with flexible adhesive and add new foam seals. My re-seal is in progress with industrial grade foam seals. It will outlast the car.

#15 ·
so any idea when youll start accepting payments for the kits? lol

#18 ·
J motor compressors
Courtesy of Mark@Vancouver, he suggested Denso aftermarket replacement compressors for the J motors.
A quick search reveals a brand new MKIV compressor in the low $300's.

This is a really good price plus a direct warranty to you. I cannot see any customer value in my offering a compressor for the J kits.

Additionally, there might be a way to use standard AC hose connections on the compressor. There's some Denso compressor adapters,
that if they work, the end user won't have to fabricate anything. The parts themselves are $50.

So this would put the J kits around $750 + shipping.

Request
Lastly, if anyone has a J motor installed, and the compressor is still installed, I could use some pics and measurements.
PM me if you do.

#19 ·
I got my remaned 2j compressor for my gs300 for $155 shipped with 1 year warranty. so far its working great. still have the 2j compressor that was on it origionally, it needs a shaft seal, but the shaft seal i found on rock auto is not correct, even though its the part number listed for gs300's, sc300's, mk4's, etc... if i can find a proper shaft seal for a good price, id fix this compressor. it was a very slow leak, and it worked great otherwise. it is sealed shut with the top plate from the remaned unit so it should stay good tll i can get the correct seal.

#20 ·
Jim, my 2jz swapped car has a so-so working A/c system, i managed to make the hoses using the JZ OEM compressor end fittings and the OEM MKII condenser ends, only had an issue before and had to send the hoses out to get crimped again, but still have a slow leak but last the whole season, but thats another story, tell me what measurements you need.

#24 ·
Just to be clear, it's a complete replacement from firewall to compressor. From your description, it sounds like you have a time capsule MK2. :D

Vent temps are roughly the same as an R12 car.

I have two MK2's, one with R12 and the other with this kit. Both average about 40F vent temperature with 85F outside temp and average humidity.

A few have reported the R134a kit vent temps as low as 36F.

#26 ·
I am interested in one but I already have the compressor and if I am reading the posts correctly a 5m kit does not have the option to exclude the compressor. is that correct? If I can use my existing compressor will the OEM compressor hose connections still work? Also will the fan connect to the old bracket?

#29 ·
What are the differences between the 5M and 7M kits? I would imagine that I have a mixed bag of 5M and 7M oem a/c parts on my car now (but not fabricated and hooked up to run) as it is an original 5M equipped car that now has a 7M swapped in.

#31 · (Edited)
So are these 7M kits specifically designed for MK2 owners who originally had 5M's but now have 7M's swapped in? I understand that these will directly bolt on to the motor, but will it bolt on to the original MK2 lines going in through the firewall? Lastly, would it be wise to purchase a new evaporator? Any suggestions on brands for this (I assume this is no longer available via Toyota). Thanks in advance for clarifying this for me.

#32 ·
The kit includes everything starting from the firewall to the compressor. All you retain is the EPR valve (mounted on passenger strut tower), and the front temp sensor.

I do not have experience with the aftermarket evaporators. The definition of OE quality is much different than it used to be.
If I bought an aftermarket, I would have it pressure tested by an AC shop to avoid the re-install cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.