Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Gauging interest: Making new VSS cables and antenna ferrule

2217 Views 35 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Fritz
I was told recently that these cables tend to go bad and the clips break apart over time, so I thought I would see if anyone would be interested in a new one of these. I'm not taking pre orders I'm just seeing if there is enough of a market for these to be worthwhile. I will be making a new cable along with the clips, these clips can be purchased separately for people who just need those. I will be making these out of the same plastic used on the trim that I am making.

Circuit component Hardware programmer Passive circuit component Gas Electronic engineering
See less See more
Reactions: 2
21 - 36 of 36 Posts
Please let me know if you sell the Ferrule as I need one.
Thanks !
Mark
They are actually done although you may have to source the metal nut that sits on top as I cant find a reliable supplier that is reasonably priced.
They look great, Fritz! Thanks for all your hard work! This is a much needed part!

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
Reactions: 1
Cool! All the small parts make all the difference. Keep 'em coming.
Please let me know if you sell the Ferrule as I need one.
Me too
Quick little update, the antenna ferrule is done but I still have no supplier for the bolt that holds everything together. I can however make the bolts out of a hard plastic that wont strip out, the only con is that it wont be chrome as it is plastic. I can also try chrome plating the top of the bolt but that wont last forever and will increase the cost by quite a bit
Sounds good, Fritz. I guess for now we'll have to use our old nuts! (NO pun intended....yeah, right!)😁
  • Haha
Quick little update, the antenna ferrule is done but I still have no supplier for the bolt that holds everything together. I can however make the bolts out of a hard plastic that wont strip out, the only con is that it wont be chrome as it is plastic. I can also try chrome plating the top of the bolt but that wont last forever and will increase the cost by quite a bit
chrome is overrated
my odometer and tripodometer do not work, so would be interested in this in case that is my issue
my odometer and tripodometer do not work, so would be interested in this in case that is my issue
Could be but also could be a handful of other things would hurt to get a new cable though
Had a problem with leaks on the new piece so I decided it would be best to have the rubber gasket and the ferrule one piece. It fixed the leak and made it more sturdy. The bolt is also almost done, takes a a little longer because its a 2 piece mold. I will also be including 2 bolts so you wont have to worry about breaking one and I will also be including a gift with each order ;)
Update again since I haven't done one in a while. I started making the clips for the cable (3d printing right now) I also started to make the bolt. Does anyone know if there is any drawback having it all one piece? If not does anyone have a rubber grommet they could sell to me that would be in almost perfect shape? Also fixed the little dimple on the prototype that was pictured. Still need to throw some primer on

See less See more
The ferrule needs to be solid in order to stay straight up, even with the clampling force being applied sideway of it mounting surface. The grommet is intentionnally soft to self adjust to imperfections and seal, but thin enough so it does not deform much.
Doing the two parts into one, you will loose the advantage of one of the two, ending with a product that will not furfill it's fonction properly.

my2cents
Quick little update, I was able to get the bolt molded, the plastic one turned out ok but I dont know how long it would last. However I found that the material for molding is capable of holding melted silver, copper and aluminum, this would allow me to have an almost exact replica of the bolt. Which material would you guys be ok with? I can try with some steel also but I don't if my setup can get hot enough to melt it.

See less See more
I had forgotten about the fact that the nut is chrome. I have been telling people that there is no chrome on these cars, but I was wrong. I think the black is fine looking. Go with it.
Just ordered a bunch of similar Lexus and Toyota bolts that might work instead of me making them. Should hopefully arrive soon
Finally arrived! One looks like it will fit. How many people are still interested? I think ill order 10 of them for now

one from my car on the right left one is the new one

Body jewelry Amber Natural material Silver Jewellery
See less See more
21 - 36 of 36 Posts