Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

How much would you be willing to pay for Reproduction Hatch Glass Seals

[Gauging Interest] MK2 Reproduction Rubber Hatch GLASS Seals

26K views 68 replies 22 participants last post by  RaptorRacing 
#1 ·
Some of you may remember the thread started to gauge interest in Reproduction Rubber Hatch Glass Seals, we are getting close to have a prototype done and it's really time to seperate the men from the mice to see who has serious interest in this. Just so there is no confusion this is NOT for the 85+ Spoiler Trim...I will be posting a separate group buy on this VERY soon. It's also NOT for the hatch to body seal...this is for:

I have some very rough pricing but there is still some logistics that need to be firgured out: shipping, import fees, packaging etc. I need to figure out if this is a worthwhile venture so as always I'm here to ask you the community if you are interested.

This is a SERIOUS gauging interest thread, I know I've said it in the past but REALLY mean it this time: if I see you vote and you don't participate I'll figure out a way to hurt you...BAD. You >:buttkick: < Me. By voting and not participating you're really wasting everyones time: mine, the manufacturer's, those replying to the thread etc. I know I'm asking a lot but please remember this is meant to gauge if you will PAY money for this and not simply want it added to a catalog to look at. Now that I've killed that point to death some details.

I have received a rough quote, which means the next step is to produce the mold, produce the prototype and ship it to me for test fitting...which ideally means shipping to Seamus for test fitting as he's the most anal SOB with this stuff and has been my "go to guy" for this stuff lately. Once Seamus is happy with the prototype I'm 100% sure EVERYONE will be happy with the prototype...the next step is production which takes about 4 to 6 weeks to produce and get in my hands.

In order to see if this is feasible for me I need to know what people would be willing to pay...NOT so I can determine my max profit on this product but to figure out if it's even doable. Let me explain a little further, from my rough calculations I don't think I can do this for less than $160. Now if only 40 people chine in and are only willing to pay $160 this project will more than likely stop dead in it's tracks because that means I'm fronting a LOT of money. However, if 30 people chime in that are willing to pay $220 then it's a lot more viable. If this goes through I plan on purchasing enough units to stock too so this WILL be available after but expect pricing to go up 15-25% after the initial run.

You ALL know that I will do whatever it takes to keep the costs down, but not at the expense of future projects. I have spent the greater part of 2012 and early 2013 trying to develop new products and reproduce discontinued product for the MK2...believe me that is not cheap to do and that is where ALL my company's profits go. So this is it guys, I really think we can get a lot done with this company IF we are happy with their quality. Believe me I've check and received quotes from many company's in North America and some of these parts are just waaaay too expensive to reproduce here for our tiny market.

So...please vote and if possible when you do please also copy paste the below and post up how many you'd want as I know that some expressed interest in multiple units. Before voting PLEASE note that just because you vote that you are willing to pay $200+ that doesn't mean that is what the pricing will be. The vote is simply there to determine the max you would pay IF we had to charge that max...if I could sell for $160 AND make what I need off them it's only to everyone's benefit that I charge that. Personally for me, if someone else was reproducing these and it was my ONLY way of getting them I would pay what I had to as I plan on keeping my MK2 forever and don't' need to constantly worry about water getting in where it's not suppose to.

Depending on where you are in the world this product went from just over $100 to well over $200 from Toyota, sometimes its very easy to compete with Toyota pricing. Sometimes when you building dozens and not thousands it's virtually impossible.

Product Interest

George - 3 units

See less See more
#3 ·
This is a test of the Celicasupra.com reply to Group Buy thread function. This is only a test.

Ha ha, I'm in for a set man. Mine was reused since the local Toyota dealer doesn't carry them and I can't find anywhere else that has them. So definitely gonna need a new seal eventually. And while I only have one car, you can put me down for two as I may soon have two hatches. Have to see how this Carbon Fiber thing will work out..

Thanks for your hard work on projects like these George. It really makes a difference when small companies are able to step up and tighten the slack that has been left by the manufacturer/aftermarket. These cars and their owners need all the support that they can get, and you sir, do an excellent job of providing much needed products and services to the community. So again, I thank you.

#9 ·
Thanks guys, keep those votes coming. If I may add: for those planning on buying more than 1 there would obviously be a price break but it obviously all depends on numbers. IF you voted and you (like myself) plan on buying more than one can you please just post up as it will help me gauge a little better....as it stands I obviuosly need a LOT more interest in order to get this going.

#10 ·
2 sets for me

#12 ·
Hey guys, just so everyone knows, this seal is the 85/86 style. HOWEVER, it is the ideal seal for all years to run imo, and in the opinion of of many others. This seal will fit any year hatch and glass. The 82-84 style seals have a recess in them on the top to fit 8 pieces of black plastic coated trim. This trim is most likely unavailable, and a bit of a pain to refinish. The solid later seals are easier to deal with and maintain, they don't trap water, dirt and provide more corners for algae to grow in like the early seals do (well at least here that happens lol). Personally I prefer the clean simple look of the later seal too.

Hopefully there are enough people ready to buy one very soon to make this happen. We will all certainly need these for the long haul!

#22 ·
No biggie. I'll buy one at whatever cost. I was just saying I would buy two at the right price. This group buy is a big deal to me as well. If buying more than one gets us a shot at more products then I will do what I can at the moment. Looking forward to the sale. Thanks for all your hard work.
Tim

#24 ·
As long as people don't back out this will work, unfortunately for me this is one of those products where I must put money down first...a LOT of it. I can't expect people to pre-pay when I have no finite way of determining when the product will be done. I have to take a gamble on this one, but if it fails it means I'm out a few grand and will not be trying to produce any other seals like this without FULL desposits where the customer waits months for the product.

I'm going to send in the deposit on Monday morning, from there it will take about 4-6 weeks to have a sample. The more numbers I crunch the more I can't see this going for $160 + shipping but also don't see it going as high as $220+ shipping either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.