Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

How much would you be willing to pay for Reproduction Door Seals?

[Gauging Interest] MK2 Reproduction Upper Door Seals Group Buy

17K views 41 replies 28 participants last post by  CelicaSupra_Denmark 
#1 · (Edited)
The rear glass seal found here is set to start very shortly so it's time to move onto the next project. When we sent out the hatch glass seal we also sent out a pair of window seals...for those that need visual queues here is what I'm talking about:

I'd like to see how much interest this is in this and the success of the accuracy of the hatch glass seal voting will determine if I'm going to go ahead with this project. I've received a rough quote but as always this could change and there are many other factors that can affect pricing such as shipping, import fees etc.

I will be making driver and passenger but will be selling this as a pair, the logistics of being stuck with excessive stock for one side is just not something I want to deal with right now. I might offer the option of purchasing one side only but the pricing will be more than per unit than buying them in pairs.

As always please vote honestly, I know I can't control that be feel the need to always remind ya'll of that :badger:

I also think I need to clarify why I'm using these sort of voting options, those of you who know me know it's NOT to squeeze the most dollars out of everyone. It's too determine if the project is even worth it, if everyone is only willing to pay $180 and my total cost ends up being more than I expected then in the end it's not worth my time making this part. Sorry...felt I just needed to clarify that!

See less See more
#2 ·
Glad to see another hard to find part coming into production, I will definitely take one no matter the cost. The heat of the desert here has saved my supra from the horrors of rust, but has not been kind to my plastic and rubber parts. Thanks again for all your hard work and dedication George.

#10 ·
When you say set what all pieces are you reffering to? I know there's the hatch seal and the upper and lower door seals...but last I saw, you could still purchase the door seals?

#13 ·
I'm refering to upper door seals ONLY, nothing about the hatch or any other seal. Upper door seals have been long discontinued, something I 100% confirmed with Mark from Vancouver Toyota last week.

I'll take a set. How many have to order to get this done.
More than we have now is all I can say, plus all things are pointing to these costing more than my lowest point in the vote. Final pricing will more than likely be higher than $200 which eliminates well over 50% of the votes. It sucks REALLY bad but we are just too small of a market and if we need things done unfortunately it's going to cost more than most other vehicles.

I'll keep this vote up here anyway as ideally this wouldn't start until the hatch seals were produced and delivered to the end customer.

#22 ·
George,

I think a little time between the hatch glass seal and this would get more people on board at a higher cost. While it doesn't phase me, most of our members are younger and living on a shoestring budget. For many, probably most, buying stuff like this is not something we'll be immediately installing anyway, but rather something we're just accumulating in our parts closet for that future date that we plan or at least hope to restore our Supras. For most people, its hard to pay $200 for something you won't use right away, and especially if you've just bought another gasket around the same price.

If anyone is on the fence about the value of these seals, I bet you probably haven't ever been in a Supra that could go 60+ without a bunch of wind noise or don't remember that far back. I know mine sort of crept up on me little by little over the years as the seals lost their elasticity. The general solution to an old car is to crank up the stereo to mask all the noises that it makes. You probably don't know what its like to shut your door with just a muffled click rather than a bunch of rattling. These new seals would be so nice.

#24 ·
George,

I think a little time between the hatch glass seal and this would get more people on board at a higher cost. While it doesn't phase me, most of our members are younger and living on a shoestring budget. .
For me, just too much going on. I definitely want in on this but with this other group buy and some other $ being thrown into the car... It would be nice if this could be something we could do over the winter. Just to spread out some of these costs

#26 ·
I may be interested as well (I need to go through my parts closet first to make sure I don't already have a new set of OEM Toyota seals). Does not matter to me when this group buy occurs, but would prefer it to be within the next year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.