Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

How much would you be willing to pay for Reproduction Door Seals?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
George,

I think a little time between the hatch glass seal and this would get more people on board at a higher cost. While it doesn't phase me, most of our members are younger and living on a shoestring budget. For many, probably most, buying stuff like this is not something we'll be immediately installing anyway, but rather something we're just accumulating in our parts closet for that future date that we plan or at least hope to restore our Supras. For most people, its hard to pay $200 for something you won't use right away, and especially if you've just bought another gasket around the same price.

If anyone is on the fence about the value of these seals, I bet you probably haven't ever been in a Supra that could go 60+ without a bunch of wind noise or don't remember that far back. I know mine sort of crept up on me little by little over the years as the seals lost their elasticity. The general solution to an old car is to crank up the stereo to mask all the noises that it makes. You probably don't know what its like to shut your door with just a muffled click rather than a bunch of rattling. These new seals would be so nice.

George,

I think a little time between the hatch glass seal and this would get more people on board at a higher cost. While it doesn't phase me, most of our members are younger and living on a shoestring budget. .
For me, just too much going on. I definitely want in on this but with this other group buy and some other $ being thrown into the car... It would be nice if this could be something we could do over the winter. Just to spread out some of these costs

I am interested in this, if a buy occurs I hope it's not for a while.

I may be interested as well (I need to go through my parts closet first to make sure I don't already have a new set of OEM Toyota seals). Does not matter to me when this group buy occurs, but would prefer it to be within the next year.

I think a little time between the hatch glass seal and this would get more people on board at a higher cost. While it doesn't phase me, most of our members are younger and living on a shoestring budget...For most people, its hard to pay $200 for something you won't use right away, and especially if you've just bought another gasket around the same price.
This^^

I would definitely buy a pair.

I don't have a car yet, but grabbing these soft parts as they become available is a Good Thing!

Jim

Discussion starter · #35 ·
I don't think in the near future, here's why: each mold cost $10,000. So with Raptor Racing making $0 on each item and 20 people interested you'll see where "no" is the most likely answer. I can see this being done one day, but in the far future when die hard MK2 owners will be willing to spend a fortune to get it done. I personally don't see 20 of us right now spending $500 each to cover each mold + production costs + shipping + raptor racing profits (which trust me is next to nothing on these projects).

Don't we share this part with the Celica? Granted not a lot of Celica restorers either, but we can dream...

2 Thumbs Up

With you Phil!!

Don't we share this part with the Celica? Granted not a lot of Celica restorers either, but we can dream...

Hey guys,
I'm new to this forum but posting since I see the demand for window seals is pretty decent.
They're not perfect, but if your seals are as bad as mine (literally none) I found by random chance that the trunk seal for a 68 ford galaxie fits in the window channel of my 82 celica (2 door coupe, not supra). I heard mk2 and the celica are similar if not the same, so I wanted to share this tidbit.
Here's the link to the trunk seal on rockauto, one trunk seal is PLENTY for both doors!
Here's a pic of a strip installed on mine as a test. It probably wont stop a pressure washer but it stops the rattle, and minimizes wind noise! Its solid too, the little strip stays on on the freeway with the windows down. Hope this helps!!!
Window Hood Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Vehicle door

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive mirror

Sky Cloud Car Plant Vehicle

Interesting
I have a 68 Galaxie and had leftover from sealing my trunk lid up, so figured I'd give it a shot. It just so happened to fit snug! I'm ordering another full one so I can do the full door, I'll post the after here so you all can see how it goes. That is, unless someone buys the celica first since it's for sale. I'll keep you all posted!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.