Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks;

AChan has requested I get involved so I'm here to ask you all if there is any interested in getting these developed. What you ask: Full Front and Back MK2 Coilovers...very similar to the AE86 Setup from Stance:

At this point in time I can not/will not provide any details as we're still in the discovery stage. I haven't even contacted Stance yet. In case there is any doubt Stance an absolutely top notch reputation for building coilovers.

So...here I am once again doing what I absolutely dispise doing and that's putting up a vote to gauge interest. The poll is only there to determine if people are willing to pay what it would take to get this done. I have no timeline and know if they get done soon the timing is crap with all the other things going on. But the way I look at it: better we have too many things developed for these cars then not enough.

So...please comment/post if you find it necessary.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
George I'm definitley down for a set. I'm assuming they're gonna be around $1500 for a set since the s9 kit is that much so that number can't be too far off.

·
Registered
82 Posts
oh wow.. id be down for this. been looking for a viable option for the suspension on my supras

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
You know I'm down!

With George starting a poll in his section, you know this is serious!

Stance USA is local to me, and said they can start R&D on my car if they get enough SERIOUS interest.

Research, development and production is expected to be 2 to 3 months.

So please only vote if you are willing to pay that amount of money for these.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm in for the rear setup, but if i gotta purchase whole set, then it's a definite maybe!
George, i'ts you AND only you that can make it happen!

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
You are going to need to reinforce the shit out of the top shock mounts and probably the control arm to use rear coilovers like that. The fronts would be nice for people who don't want to mod the stock struts - especially those who want alot of lowering and would need to shorten the struts to avoid bottoming out the shocks.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I'm curious what they will come up with in regards to the rear. If they do come up with something feasible, that doesn't require a massive amount of bracing and reinforcing, I'll be interested.

·
Registered
555 Posts
well even with my car in its unfinished ass status. imma say i woul dbe in for a rear set, since i alread hav gc up front. as stated above it would solely depend on bracin needs for success. georgie, u da man gettin this rollin i sjust what u do!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
**Just spoke with Dave from Stance USA**

In regards to Malloy's question from the other thread.

GR Plus seems like the obvious (or only) choice, but I have 1 concern: spherical bearings. Do they REALLY stiffen up the ride? Do they make noise?

I think most people interested in coilovers here will put them on a street car....so we must consider practical comfort.

I believe this type of setup will offer a full range from: comfortable on the street like Eibach ahd Tokicos, to all out race track badassery. Please educate me if I am mistaken. I would not be interested in a setup that does not offer a reasonably 'comfortable' setting.
Stance's Response:

Our coilovers have a very balance valving which allows it to have a very sporty yet controlled low fatigue ride, feels magical. Suspension is something that you just can't BS about, the min you put on the car, you know if you have something special or some crap.

We will develop the coilovers to suit street/weekend warriors. Which will give a sporty ride yet good performance at the autox and track.
Malloy:

Also, if we go with a spindle type, will it mess with wheel fitments? (both front and rear) I know there are people with wheels that cut it close...will this mess with inner/outer clearance?

I ask, bc I'm about to drop $3k on wheels alone....and I have the fitment dialed in at the extreme level.
Stance:

It'll be a weld on type for the OEM spindle so fitment won't be an issue.
I had some additional questions. I asked if they would be plug and play or would need modifications.

Yes, we can offer our services to the locals for small fee for welding and prepping the coilover to the stock spindle.

For those that are not local can also send the spindles in, however shipping fees will be handled on their end.
But I'm sure you could have them welded by a local shop near you if shipping it to them would be an issue.

If you have any more questions, I can contact them and have the questions answered asap.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Why would you need to strengthen the rear upper shock mount? The rears are most likely going to be just like the AE86's with the spring being separate from the shock so there wouldnt be a need to strengthen the mounts. I doubt you could fit a true coilover in the rear with out a bit of fab work. There just isnt much space back there. Stance is most likely going to use their AE86 stuff and make some changes to it to fit out cars.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I'm in for a complete set as long as its bolt on. I'm might be willing to brace up the rear for real coil overs back there..not seperate shock and spring..but I'm not into " Modding" my exisiting 30 year old parts for these to work..I want new and improved bolt on coilover sweetness !!!

If its like that..$1500...I'm game.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Are those RCA's on the AE86's? If they are, it'd be nice to know if the mkII's will have them too.

·
Registered
861 Posts
this kit should be easy for Stance to make, it`s almost twin to the AE86...how I know? Well I run AE86 coil-overs!!!
They have to make a longer sleeve for the rear, a 1mm smaller in diametre front strut and ma61 strut tower camber plate, thats all!

Oh and I call bs on the rear not strong enough for coil-overs (unless you have rust there already...wich would be bad anyway), have been running them HARD for 4 years now and I still see no damage.

All to say, hope this happens for the mkII and that coil-overs, especially for the rear, are a much needed upgrade.
If I didnt already have coil-overs, i`d bee in!
The price is what coil-overs cost, wich is worth every penny!

Sorry for the thread jacking....just had to put it out there.

·
Super Moderator
7,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You are going to need to reinforce the shit out of the top shock mounts and probably the control arm to use rear coilovers like that. The fronts would be nice for people who don't want to mod the stock struts - especially those who want alot of lowering and would need to shorten the struts to avoid bottoming out the shocks.
Ryan...not sure why you'd think that. This would be seperate shock/spring much like they've done for the AE86.
deadly interest , a real coil-over option is missing on the catalog of performance parts for the mk II
Guido...don't be shy to post this up on the French forums...I know there aren't too many peeps there but it can't hurt :).

Guys there seems to be adequate interest so I will contact Stance in the next couple of days to see what we need to get the ball rolling.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Oh and I call bs on the rear not strong enough for coil-overs (unless you have rust there already...wich would be bad anyway), have been running them HARD for 4 years now and I still see no damage.
Now that what Im talking about..the real deal on the back...Not OEM set up.

·
Registered
509 Posts
im in 100%
i was about to buy an ae86 set and mod it to fit anyway.
T

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
If it's a separate shock and spring, then does it come with an adjustable spring seat or something similar? Otherwise it's really no better than a good spring (dobinson etc.) combined with good, matched shocks.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.