Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,540 Posts
Chasin' Jason

When can I get one? I'd also like to order another pair of TeK hood stoppers.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I made these prototypes for the na crowd and was simply gauging interest. It could resurface at some point, but truthfully I'm not holding my breath. But if there's something you like amir, I will do my best to accommodate. :mm_emthup

·
Registered
266 Posts
Chimpy blanket

Just added to the system: kapton tape carbon fiber Chimpy intake wrap...

Heat resistant to 250*C (500*F) and down to - 250*C (-400*F), this is used in aerospace applications.

I can actually hold my hand on the Chimpy above the header when the car is hot. :cool:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Testing, testing, 1, 2, 3...

I tested the air temps at the throttle body (where it counts)

Outside temperature: 24*C (75*F)
Humidity: 80%
Wind speed: 10kmh

Engine cold (air temperature) 24*C

Took it for 15 minutes of a combination of city & hwy driving

Engine bay temperature 50*C (that's what is being sucked in thru an unshielded open element air filter)

Intake reading at throttle body after driving: 32*C. That's 36% colder!

Since the readings were even lower than at afm (test conducted previously), I could conclude the kcf blanket was keeping the Chimpy cold enough to cool the incoming air. The system working effectively at startup, I now wanted to test it at heat soak.

I let the car sit 10 minutes with the hood closed until the temperature at the throttle body had stabilized at 52*C, then I repeated the course.

The intake temperature had reduced to 36*C - that's still 32% colder than at heat soak. Once stopped, at idle, I could see the temperature reading climbing again. Perhaps I could still find a way to claim an extra few percent somehow... :wtf:

The polyimide film silicone adhesive has no problem adhering to itself and the carbon fiber fabric underneath. The cf fabric acts as perfect insulation.

I liked it so much I added another component to the system to match:

A CS.com exclusive - Drop-in dry carbon fiber Kapton® polyimide film wrapped afm cover:

I vacuum fused the film to the epoxy layer in the prototype, but it can also be made without.

I'll be conducting more tests soon...stay tuned :mk2_vroom

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
Now,you are on to something very important!
I temped my AFM and it is NOT a happy AFM.
Been thinking about this mod for a long time,Greg.
The hot soak/under hood temps are fiendishly high,even in "cool" weather!
131* at the AFM when I popped the hood,right away!OK,46C. Outside: 80*=26C. STUPID!
The entire underhood is bathed in heat off of the radiator.
What about the underhood temperatures for the guys in Las Vegas?:eekfacepalm:
Gotta have the A/C runnin'.
SHEESH! http://www.wunderground.com/us/nv/las-vegas

·
Registered
266 Posts
Good to hear from you Dave :thumbsup:

Though high, 131*F at the afm is not that unusual. That's 55*C. My underhood temps average 50-52*C (122-125*F) with the cf cooling panel installed.
It's no wonder we experience power loss from heat soak. I love having that little extra pep on demand.

Throttle response, acceleration and fuel efficiency are improved with this system (no holes, no special tools req'd, 20 minutes to complete install)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Well, curiosity got the better of me, so I removed the film from the afm cover:

I used foam board on the bottom with Kapton tape to insulate and seal the afm:

...I needs a new Jason, any others?

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
I will need a donor AFM to experiment with.
I'm thinking shrink wrap with a foam inner liner and then the CF wrap.
Look at what happens to a plastic Coke bottle under the heat from a heat gun.
Also,a box to house the AFM from heat.
I want to do some testing as well.
I do have a heat probe for my Craftsman VOM...
Maybe a round box,the size of the original air box or the cone filter.
Just seal it up.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I like that you want to experiment, but hey, I saved you the hassle, hehe. Foam insulation could be injected into the cover to completely encapsulate the afm now that the epoxy has hardened, but since it is sealed with a ~1cm gap between the afm & cover and cf doesn't transfer heat well, it otta be stellar. When the hood is closed, Jason (the air filter heat shield) is mated to direct the air flow to the intake

·
Registered
266 Posts
Several tests were conducted over the course of the day. I won't bore you with the details, but some results were interesting:

Test 1 (with complete cool air system installed)

Starting (base) temperature 24*C

After 1/2 hour driving (mostly highway) 39*C

Hand on Chimpy above the header (after 3 minutes stopped) 50*C

Engine stopped (at heat soak) 52*

Not being absolutely sure that the temperature probe was centered in the throttle body, I pulled the system components off and checked internal temps at different locations:

that can't be right, double check

seems plausible considering other readings

testing Chimpy temps under Kcf blanket

Ok, so it's cooler, but by how much...a regular setup was required, so system components were removed for further testing

Test 2 - (with cooling system removed)

After 15 minutes driving 42*C

temperature rises quickly pulling in hot air (after 3 min idle) 64*

at heat soak 67*C (152* F)

Final test to see if temperature can be decreased with system reinstalled

Test 3

Reading @ 5:40pm 67*C (begin reinstall)

System installed 17 minutes later (5:57) 53*C

After 3 kms driving 48*C

returned to base 3 kms (at 6:21) 48*C

temperatures rising (at 6:25) 61*

at heat soak (6:40) 67*C (152*F)

Discussion of results:

The 'Supra Simple' cool air system maintained cooler engine operating temperatures especially during highway driving. It also helped reduce engine temperatures at idle and lowered heat soak temperatures. Once heat soaked, the engine temperatures remained consistent. The system is designed to insulate and with higher temps, heat was retained. However, a notable improvement in performance and fuel efficiency is observed with the 'Supra Simple' cool air system installed. Lower engine temperatures will help prolong oil viscosity, engine life and potentially avoid the dreaded BHG. Highly recommended for na applications :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
Well done with great pix. That's gotta be a valid,scienticic approach to this issue.
Temping B-4 and after and during!
The engine compartment is bathed in heat coming off of the radiator,all of the time.
Insulating the intake system from that heat is a true benefit.
Not to mention that the intake system is just above the exhaust header!
I used a non-contact temperature tool and got some very high readings off of the AFM(And everything else in there).
The alloy intake pipes look cool,but it picks up a lot of heat just from the header.
Then,you are not feeding the engine with cool air and it's downstream from the incoming air temp sensor inside the AFM!
One answer is to insulate the whole thing from underhood temperatures: from the air filter to the throttle body.

Yeah,I covered up(insulated) my purdy Chimpy intake tube.
http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t345/ddd228/temporary_11.jpg~original

·
Registered
266 Posts
^ I saw that too...I say use what works. :thumbsup:

The problem has been cosmetics. Not for everyone, but in my case, the Kapton tape goes pretty well with my wheels and pinstripe

Following tests, I have adapted the system using a 'half-chimpy' insulator directly above the header. It's a compomise which gives the aesthetic and provides a heat shield. I also wanted a way for heat to escape. Then I had an idea using my shoulder pack...a Kcf sleeve:

Easily removed or mounted, it fits like a glove between Mitch's solid mount strut bar and Chimpy. The hood closes. Another section could be added to cover the plenum. Heat soak be damned :new_uklia (for offroad use only)

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
If you are going through all of this to lower intake temps, it may also be beneficial to bypass the throttle body heater lines. Even though it only runs through the top of the throttle body, it is still 180+ degree coolant running though the tube.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Good point, esp. now that it's a header shield, top end exposed:

It was only 9*C in the throttle body on a 24*C day with the full wrap (after 1/2 hour highway driving). The bypass would def help on hot days, while cooler temps may become problematic. The half-wrap should help to moderate cooler intake temps after warmup...it will be done, cheers :thumbsup:

·
Registered
266 Posts
If you are going through all of this to lower intake temps, it may also be beneficial to bypass the throttle body heater lines. Even though it only runs through the top of the throttle body, it is still 180+ degree coolant running though the tube.
Modified. I can insulate it more but it'll do for now.

I don't want to isolate it completely, living along the coast can have interesting weather.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Follow up to the intake bypass...every little bit helps. The temperature gauge doesn't rise as quickly.

As a header shield, the blanket is working great but does not help with inevitable heat soak. When parked, the wrapped cold pack provides just enough cooling to bring the Chimpy down to body temps ~38*C (~100*F). The shielding is safe from heat and the gelpack is made for hot/cold. I keep it in a beer fridge in the garage and drop it on between short trips to get that "morning fresh" feeling :p

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
I agee! Even in open loop in cool weather,I can feel the torque difference.
I may do the throttle body coolant by pass NEXT year.
I want to run an inline valve to allow or bypass the TB.
It may be complex, but SO smart.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts