Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

[Gauging Interet] MK2 Griffin Drop in Radiator Group Buy

14K views 52 replies 22 participants last post by  RaptorRacing 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys;

As you're all aware Griffin rads for some time, I haven't fully "advertised" it yet as it's not very convenient for me to sell them but is doable. Griffin has 2 rads for the MK2:

1) The original one that Scotty and Roger helped develop over 5 years ago - I sell this one for $495 shipped (price increasing soon)
2) The one that Phil from Adrenaline did for his Group buys, there were some changes to the end tanks and added provisions for a temp sensor and petcock valve. This one now wholesale for well over $550 which means retail would be MUCH higher.

Currently design number one has no provisions for the temp probe and the only way for me to have them added is to build 15 of them. Otherwise I can still sell them for $495 + shipping (roughly $525) but they will NOT have any provisions for temp probes.

So I'm here to ask if there is any SERIOUS interest in a run of Rad #1 with the temp probe bung and petcock valve.

To try to answer most of your questions before they are asked:

1) 2008 Group Buy Pricing was $425 shipped, I have to crunch some numbers but I probably can't do it for less than $475 shipped for US Customers/$500 shipped for Canadians.
2) Right now I have no idea if these will be stamped with Griffin on the top or not
3) Yes the Adrenaline fan kit will work with this
4) No I will not entertain any requests to change any design on this rad. If this is something you feel passionate about please feel free to get this done. I have no idea why but they simply do not want to produce the Rad produced in the last group buy by Adrenaline, they said it's just too expensive to make so I will be sticking to the original designed rad.

Yes there are cheaper ways to get this done, but if you want the convenience of a drop in rad as far as I know this is it. I will need at least 15 people, if I don't get them then I can still sell at the above mentioned price but they will NOT include the bung/valve. This really isn't anything I'm dyign to add to my catalog so not willing to put in tons of money to get this going, if there is no interest there is no interest...no harm no foul. I have a few other big projects I need to save my money for so it's 15 or nothing unfortunately.

Please keep in mind, this group buy's main purpose isn't to save you money, it's to develop a product that is not available for below $500. If the group buy doesn't go through and you desperately want a drop in rad with the temp bung then be prepared to spend over $600.

I have also talked to Phil from Adrenaline about having some fan kits available but before I finalized that and we figure out if he will sell them or me I need to know if I'm going to get this group buy going.

Expressed Interest:

1) 1982 Dragon
2) 8055m44n
3) G-Force
4) Malloy
5) 82supra
6) kdsii
7) Guido
8) ScorpMatt
9) eightysixxmkii
10) Tara

See less See more
#9 ·
I'm up for one.

#11 ·
I'm up for one. My 83 is going to need better cooling once she's running. If you get the 15 people, how soon will you need deposits/payments?

#14 ·
It will be payments, deposits is too much hassle and it will be withing the next month. We have 10 people know but using the 50% drop out rate I'm not confident it will go through. Either way I will start the talks with Griffin and probably post the group buy for late March with the payment deadline to be first week of April.

#13 ·
Tara might want one. I already converter my car over to mk3 spec radiators.

#16 ·
I can do payments, that'll probably work best for me to get this going. The stock radiator on the red 86 is long overdue. 233k miles and still running okay ish.

#19 · (Edited)
George, isn't the top tank design gonna be different than pictured? The one in the pic has Phil's revised top tank. I got one of new old ones and could post up pics if you like. Or you could post up a pic of Roger's car.

*edit*

Here is the original top tank design:

#22 · (Edited)
Hey Guys;

I just wanted to give you guys an update on this, I've actually been working my but off on this initiative. For some time I've been looking for another manufacturer. I don't have any issues with Griffin per say...just always looking for better. I found a manufacturer of VERY HIGH Quality Rads in New York State and this is the route I'm going to go and here is why:

• 100% Made in USA
  • 100% Aluminum
  • NO EPOXY - Griffin Epoxies their Rads
  • Entirely Tig Welded
  • Furnace Brazed High Efficiency Cores
  • Billet Filler Necks

They have already drawn up a MK2 Rad on CAD for me and sent me 3D rendering of it, you can see it for yourself here. Just click anywhere in the PDF to activate the 3D features. These guys are ready to go and I just have a couple of more admin items to finish off before I move forward with these.

The rads will be as stated 100% aluminum, have provisions for a temp sensor and have a petcock valve. I'm shooting for $475 shipped(USA) but it might go up $20. Believe me for a Drop in No Customization Required, Tig Welded Aluminum Rad in short runs its really hard to get better.

I strongly believe this is a better route vs. Griffin, mainly because they are not epoxied but also because EVERYTHING is made local to me so easier to control quality. This is a great company that builds quality and doesn't use any cheap overseas parts in their products.

I will also be getting them to design a fan shroud kit using High Quality SPAL fans, I don't have a CAD drawing of it but here is an example of their work:

The shroud kit with 2 low profile SPAL fans will go for about $295 shipped, but again exact pricing will be stated when I start the group buy.

The group buy will be limited to only 10 rads and will be a first pay first on the list basis. I will be posting up the group buy up by the weekend unless I still have some admin stuff to take care of. It will take 30days at least from the time the group buy ends so I will collect deposits of $250 for the rads or $400 for a rad and shroud. After the first group buy if there is any interest I can entertain another one if there is interest.

At this point in time there is no need to asked to be added/removed from the list...if you're interested look out for the GB next week but in the mean time let me know if you have any questions.

#25 ·
These are single core rads Alex.

:zzzzz: can't get it to work...:p Edit: worked after adobe update

These look nice, and better quality is always a plus
Hahaha...fixed. Thanks for pointing that out as there area lot of sicko's here...wouldn't want them licking my pdf.:eek4dance:

#29 ·
Alex, a dual core rad increase the price to levels that I'm sure people won't pay. Outside a group buy it would price the rad into the $600 range and necessitate the need for a new shroud with low profile fans as for the most part a dual core rad will add another 1" in thickness...so add another $300 for the shroud.

If you can find me 10 guys who want to spend near $900 for a rad and shroud let me know. Please note, the price I'm quoting is an estimate for low run of made in the USA; DIRECT fit Rads. For the guy that doesn't mind fabricating there are PLENTY of ways to install a dual core rad in a MK2 relatively cheaply. Also for the guy that doesn't mind overseas rads they can get it done even cheaper but overseas Rads are NOT something I want to sell so won't get done by me.

So the question I have for you; with so many people with over 500HP running single core rads without issues why do you feel the need for this? Just playing the devils advocate buddy, you have already paid good money for a rad haven't used it but are convinced it's no good for you. I'd just think you have better things to do with your time and money...maybe I'm wrong.

George, looks good. But will this fit Phil's electric fan shroud kit... just bought it hoping to go with Griffin as it fits. :ugh: My stock rad is pretty worn.
Phils fans are a direct bolt on to OEM and Griffin so it will fit those 2 AND the this rad too.

ok i know im not in the top 10 but add me to the list for a Rad + fan kit.
No worries...there is no top of the list. I think we have enough interest for me to attempt the group buy.

#31 ·
George,
I'm glad that you sourced another manufacturer, for reasons I won't get into here, but also due to the number of ppl who (years after the fact) had issues with leaking Griffins shortly after they got them. I only ever dealt with one warranty however. The welded setup is the way to go. I had looked into getting an offshore factory to produce them, but given the time needed to organize the easy bake oven, I decided my time was better served on other projects.
If I can be of any help with this, LMK. I have detailed drawings on hand that may be useful as you move forward.
Don't forget to preheat the oven to 425. :)

#32 ·
Apparently I can't say this enough. It doesn't matter how the rad is made, if its an all aluminum rad and its attached to the car like the stock one is, you're going to run into long term corosion and leak problems. Aluminum rads have to be electically isolated from the chassis or they will slowly eat away from the inside due to a chemical process called Galvanic Corrosion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion).

Whatever you guys do, modify the upper mounting tab system so there is no metal on metal contact between the chassis and rad. Rubber mats on the mounting tabs with some kind of plastic retainer instead of bolts, or use rubber washers and grommets, etc. And anyone who has a Griffen rad currently would be well advised to modify theirs in this fashion too if you want it to last.

I have an expensive ass mk3 Fluidyne alum rad in my mk2, and the previous owner of it obviously wasn't aware of this and it has 5 holes in it now that can't be fixed.

#34 ·
Sounds good Alex...good luck man!!

For everyone else here is a link to the new 3D drawing with the twin 12 SPAL fans. If the 3D doesn't work for you just download it and open it outside your browser.

Seamus, you have mail..as always your insight into all matter is greatly appreciated. Making a set of rubber "gaskets" with non metallic hardware is pretty easy and I'm more than willing offer this as an option. Will take me a couple of days to look into this.

I don't have a Rad anywhere near me...can someone do me a couple of favours:

• Try to find out the bolt size/thread pattern of needed
  • I need an relatively accurate trace of the mounting tabs. If someone can trace them and get me dimensions that would be GREATLY appreciated. I can then offer these to those who buy these, the Griffin or any other aluminum rad. Yes as Seamus said we can just use rubber washers but for shits and giggles I'd love to see the cost on rubber "gasket" for this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.