Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am put in a tough decision right now,
do I Buy a good Genuine walbro from a reputable dealer, because they are common pumps used by many many people,

or do I buy a Toyota TT pump for nearly 2.5x the cost??

Because there are so many people who have had great success with walbro's, it makes me lean towards doing that, as long as I am buying from a reputable dealer it should not be a knock-off pump. Or do I think about the stories of peoples walbros failing or them getting a knock off pump and having it fail, or whatever the reason.

Or do I just say screw it and drop the coin (2.5 or more times as much as a walbro) on a toyota (aristo) supra tt fuel pump?

One train of thought is buy the walbro, if its genuine then I should be fine and not have anything to worry about. and plus even if it goes bad I can buy another and still be less than a single Aristo pump.

Another is, why even risk it, just drop the coin and be done with it.

I just want some opinions from some other members.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Selected Vehicle: 1997; TOYOTA; SUPRA; 6-2997 3.0L DOHC

DENSO ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP
OES SERVICE PART REPLACEMENT FUEL PUMP - TWIN TURBO 93-98 DEN 951-0014 FUEL PUMP KIT $199.33

CARTER ELEC FUEL PUMP SET
OPTIONAL HIGH PERF 94-98 CTR P74182HP IN TANK PUMP & STRAI $126.07

just some other options I thought I'd throw in...

will

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
should clarify this is for 5mgte...

didnt really want to use just a replacement brand one for the mk4 still more expensive than walbro and not genuine toyota.

after looking into the bosche 044 its looking to be the winner. Only question is can it be mounted in my tank?? It says its an inline pump, and I want to replace my stock one.
More pressure and volume than 255, and not the cost of genuine toyota.

Thanks Dave.

Would still like input.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Why do you recommend that over the 040, which is the equivalent of the walbro Dave? I am not trying to jack Scott's thread, but I am currently looking into upgrading my fuel system for the new engine, and know for a fact I won't go with the walbro, as I bought one a little over a year ago from the Chimp, and it is already starting to act up, plus it's louder then crap.
Also, any reason why the bosch over a stock tt pump? Motor it's going on will be mid 300's for now.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
wablo and the TT pump are about the same flow wise but TT pump is better quality no the bosch is = to TT pump in quality but out flows it in hire psi range

http://www.jayracing.com/index.php?main_page=faq

the 040s have bean known to fail do to there smaller design

I have a wally right now but its external..... any way i will be soon replacing ti with a Bosch

·
Registered
131 Posts
On every Supra i own if i replace anything with the Toyota part i haven't had to go back and change it out a second time. But i have gone threw after market Fuel pumps and Alternators Master Cylinders, and Water Pumps, till i replaced them with real Toyota Parts. Even Break Pads, and Clutches last longer. Experience has proven this to me in spite of wanting to just fix it now. The back order and price of real Toyota parts is worth it.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
On every Supra i own if i replace anything with the Toyota part i haven't had to go back and change it out a second time. But i have gone threw after market Fuel pumps and Alternators Master Cylinders, and Water Pumps, till i replaced them with real Toyota Parts. Even Break Pads, and Clutches last longer. Experience has proven this to me in spite of wanting to just fix it now. The back order and price of real Toyota parts is worth it.
this is not the point here omarty

Scott im using the walboro and it runs great!
no problem and i can here it, but mines in the tank.

·
Premium Member
5,565 Posts
No good for me

Selected Vehicle: 1997; TOYOTA; SUPRA; 6-2997 3.0L DOHC

CARTER ELEC FUEL PUMP SET
OPTIONAL HIGH PERF 94-98 CTR P74182HP IN TANK PUMP & STRAI $126.07
I tried this pump once in a 6m powered mark2 that I used to have, I took it back to NAPA and got my money back three months later. It wouldn't keep pressure up when the fuel level was 1/4 tank or less.
The pump would heat up and slow down and fuel pressure would drop after a few minutes on the road. I would pull over and it had enough to idle but wouldn't pull so I would shut the car down for a few minutes to cool the fp and then it would work again for a few. Worked fine on a full tank.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I tried this pump once in a 6m powered mark2 that I used to have, I took it back to NAPA and got my money back three months later. It wouldn't keep pressure up when the fuel level was 1/4 tank or less.
The pump would heat up and slow down and fuel pressure would drop after a few minutes on the road. I would pull over and it had enough to idle but wouldn't pull so I would shut the car down for a few minutes to cool the fp and then it would work again for a few. Worked fine on a full tank.
Carter can be kinda hit or miss. I woulden't hesitate to go with the denso though...

just threw those up there for referance sake not really suggesting either one specificaly for this app.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I just need some input now, I really want the bosch 044, I just need to know if I can mount it in the tank? anybody know about this??

I have searched google and a couple other forums have posts about people mounting it intank, so I guess it will still work fine.

Edit**
after more reading I have found that the only thing preventing the bosch 044 from being able to mount in tank is the lack of a filter sock....
There are multiple DIY writeups on how to mount one on there so I dont think there will be an issue. I will most likely order up a bosch tonight.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I use a TT factory MK4 FP. Watch out for walbro's...fakes everywhere. Walbro's can tend to leave you hanging a long way from home...ask supraguy31 about his crapping out in vegas and changing it in a parking garage in the middle of the night. Just my 2 cents. good luck with your choice.

also the MK4 pump goes right in...easy install... i ordered mine from champion toyota..ask for the filter/sock and other acc. that goes with it.

·
POTATO
17,252 Posts
Toyota pump <3

I had a Walbro, it was noisy as all hell. I replaced it with an Aristo fuel pump, sooooooo much quieter. Never did test the flows though, but I know I will never go Walbro again.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah the walbro has been pushed out... Now its just between the bosch 044 and aristo pump.

The bosche pump does have a higher flow rate at a higher pressure.

Says it maintains 200 lph at 72.5 psi. Thats damn good. And probably more suitable for an rrfpr setup.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts