Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the easiest and cheapest way of getting all the parts you need for your conversion is the autowreckers, right? WRONG!!!!! (all my prices are in canadian)i recently went to a well known import wreckers in my area and asked the price of a 7mgte motor,wiring harness and ecu. They wanted 2300$ for it. Ipaid 2200$for my 82, why would i pay more for the motor. I work in a differnet auto wrecker and can buy insurance write offs. after doing little research I found that I can get a whole MKIII for about 500$, thats everything you need plus more! like the hardware for that tiarga top, the five bolt hubs, interior( if you canfind a way to install them). SWEET HUN! well See ya later EH! 8)

·
Founding Member
6,434 Posts
I think its generally accepted common knowledge that the whole is worth less than the sum of the parts. Remember however that these Supras are becoming more and more scarce. In most any metro area, the auctions might see only two or three mk3ts come through each year and the motors are usually just as trashed as the car. This is why Don and Shawn have all but stopped offering the conversions due to availability of suitable donor vehicles. I've been keeping my eye out for a donor car in my area for over a year and had no luck yet. Anyone wanting to do this economically will need to have considerable patience. This probably is not going to be an option for anyone who's just blown a 5m and thinking "well as long as I'm replacing the motor anyway...." Turbocharging a 5m or 6m is probably a quicker means to go turbo for most people because there are far more mk3ts in junkyards with trashed engines that you can scrounge a rebuildable turbo and manifold from.

Phil D

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
MK3s never make it to PYP in Calgary...having said that I have seen one in 10 years. It had the turbo stripped out before it was put in the yard. they strip all the good parts before they release the cars...at least it seems that way.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
to be honest in the past year i've come across 17mkIII with and with out turbos......oh ya winter time is the best time to be looking due to the fact that most people dont know how to drive in the snow.

·
Registered
54 Posts
7mgte in canada

hey guys, :D if you DO come across some reputable way to get a good 7 mgte please e mail me, as i am in the market!!!!!
it either that or the rabid chip guys getting a call for a kit soon.
i am like looking all over, and i of course , i'll do that same!!!! thanks fer my supramen bruthas :rockon:
, jeff thunder bay ontario

oh the supra :hail: ohhh the supra

·
Super Moderator
10,577 Posts
buying a wrecked car from ICBC isn't easy, you may be able to do it through your place of work but most of us don't have that luxery. To buy one you need to be a registered dismantler, rebuilder, or scarily enough, have a used car dealership. The best bet to buy one of these cars in BC for the average joe is to find someone or a shop that can buy from ICBC and work out a deal with them. Many will not be willing to do due to liablity issues.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I know of a place in Lynnwood, Nix99.. I heard they do 7MGTE swaps for like $2500, but you have to swap it for your motor as well. They're toyota lexus recyclers, and they completely rebuild the motor to like new conditions. I'm looking forward to that swap within a year..

·
Administrator
7,186 Posts
Talk to ' Junkie ' here on the forums about that. Its a lot more $ than $2500, but they do a great job :)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Also, don't forget Jeff Tamulis for conversions. He is doing mine right now. Super nice, honest, :patriot: knowledgeable car guy. Soon to be in NC. I have seen the video of the 12 second car, and ridden in it. Downright scary, and it was only hitting about 325HP at the time I rode in it.

And yes, more than $2500.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I think this would really depend on what part of the US you're from. The west coast guys would likely want to go see Don and Shawn at Nix99. And the east coast guys would be knocking on Jeff Tamilus' door.

Sorta makes sense like that...ya know? ;)

___

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yep, Jeff offers a bit more power out of the box for similar money. Since he wants to be a high performance shop guy, the sky is the limit with mods. I am sure Nix does a good job also, not sure he offers/or wants to do an ala cart menu.

Jeff's std package only offers 300HP. :deal:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Don and Shawn were pretty much the originators of the 'we build it for you' 7M-GTE swap. They do a great job and bend over backwards to make the customer happy based on what I've seen.

It's great that Jeff is doing it as well. As Sidman pointed out that helps the east coast guys out.

Btw, I haven't seen any 'standard package' details. Does Jeff have a website?

·
Registered
38 Posts
yea, does anyone kno of how either of these companies can be contacted or get information from? also does anyone know of any other places that do the 7mgte swap? im from the bay area but i would still like to compare prices.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Bonerdude said:
yea, does anyone kno of how either of these companies can be contacted or get information from? also does anyone know of any other places that do the 7mgte swap? im from the bay area but i would still like to compare prices.
PM 'Junkie' for information about the nix99 guys on the west coast.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts