Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
That was dark!
Would have got tickets around here with them.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took it to Tint World, a buddy of mine owns the shop. They kept it all day and used some serious steam on the tint. Definitely helps an old fart like me at night and especially backing up.

· Founding Member
6,750 Posts
I'm not a big fan of window tint either, but here in Texas, I can understand and forgive those who've installed it. If you have to park outside at work for 8 to 10 hours a day, five days a week, its better to have the tint to cut out as much of the ultraviolent light as possible vs just letting the old sun destroy all the organic materials inside the car. Ironically, we have that tint to thank for the Supra even surviving, let alone in such good condition. Had the interior been allowed to bake away in the Florida sun through the 90s, the value would have been so low by about the year 2000, that it would have been sold to a teenager as a cash car and very likely been destroyed. Now that its survived to be a classic car, presumably only exposed to the sun for a few hours a week, then it doesn't need the tint anymore and will look better without it for sure.

· Registered
9 Posts
I'm not a big fan of window tint either, but here in Texas, I can understand and forgive those who've installed it. If you have to park outside at work for 8 to 10 hours a day, five days a week, its better to have the tint to cut out as much of the ultraviolent light as possible vs just letting the old sun destroy all the organic materials inside the car. Ironically, we have that tint to thank for the Supra even surviving, let alone in such good condition. Had the interior been allowed to bake away in the Florida sun through the 90s, the value would have been so low by about the year 2000, that it would have been sold to a teenager as a cash car and very likely been destroyed. Now that its survived to be a classic car, presumably only exposed to the sun for a few hours a week, then it doesn't need the tint anymore and will look better without it for sure.
I put 3M Crystalline on my Tacoma since it sits out on the street in front of my office all day. I believe it is rated to block around 90% UV rays, 60% of solar energy, and it is as clear as having no tint at all! I am especially grateful for it on hot desert trips. More info on the 3M website below.

· Founding Member
6,750 Posts
Thanks. I may check into that clear tint before summer. My office relocated one year ago and we don't have our own parking garage anymore. Last summer I paid $100/month to park in a garage about a half mile walk from our building. My DD is a Jaguar and they have a tendency for the leather dash to come unglued if parked in the heat for extended periods.

· Registered
909 Posts
I 2nd the use of light film for the vehicle to remove the UV rays. I think Llumar's air80 on all the windows would look pretty nice on the vehicle. Very similar to Mercedes, it has a slight blue hue to it, but at 80% light transmission, it too is unnoticeable. I use this film for front windshields to cut the rest of the solar rejection inside of my vehicles, it makes the interiors much cooler having it on the windshield of vehicles with black dashboards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts