Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say someone has lots of power in a small car such as RA29 or TE72.

Said car is fitted with MA60 rear, MA40 1 piece factory driveline, ae86 front suspension and has typical mileage of bazillion.

What would one do to prepare for multiple 200+ mph runs?

Theres always the need for new bearings, seals, grease, etc, but is there things well above and beyond bushings and bearings that can be done to the drivetrain to handle this speed?

p.s. this isn't aerodynamics at all, thats another thread and another day.

Short story on why this thread came about:
I bent my stub/hub axle (83 supra) pulling out of a drive way in a neutral coast of 10mph. If I were to be going 80mph or so and hit a pothole, which I avoid many and know of many, but have hit them, would it rip my wheel completely off? It was barely a bump (felt like a vicious speed bump thats in the shape of a triangle) and since then its been 'ass-wandering' and if that little bump hurt this rear so bad, what else is about to go...Not that I'm really aiming for 200+ mph, but it sure would be nice knowing that when I'm going full speed on a track that a little nick from something won't tear this apart. I installed it per recommended persons on handling power.....so far.....lies!

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
If your anal about it, other than a will, replace everything in the rear suspension would make sense on a car from the 80's with a lot of power.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Why worried about 200+ since I don't think you could even get that high due to engine, tranny gearing, and diff gearing.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Why worried about 200+ since I don't think you could even get that high due to engine, tranny gearing, and diff gearing.
+1

You might want to have Z rated tires also.....and 800+ hp.

Of course the car may fold up like a beer can or lift off the ground at that speed - don't say we didn't warn you!

·
Registered
906 Posts
You will hit a brick wall, called air, at aprox. 165-170mph .... not saying how I know this :D

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
I know what you were meaning Josh, it's alright, a lot of other people on the forum don't understand what you were meaning. I would say that all the drag racing combined with the age of the parts / rear end you have contributed to the failure and the massive pothole pushed it over the edge.

I would meticulously go through the entire rear end.

Replace Bushings and everything first, either going with Aluminum inserts or the hard poly bushings.
I would inspect the differential for wear/play/slack, as well as double check the mounting bolts. Also to actually hit 207mph you'll need a 3.50 rear end of of a 4spd 2wd Toyota Pickup. (coupled with an R-154)
Swing by Toyota and have James show his SpeedCalc program or perhaps it's called GearCalc.
I would have a one piece driveshaft balanced to the n'th degree. Honestly if it were me I'd probably have two different shops check it for balance, WITH fresh U-Joints.
You'll need a stiffer, lower suspension.
Wind resistance goes up as an exponential square, FOUR times the resistance at 140mph as there is at 70, 4 times the resistance at 200 as there is at 100.
Obviously the tires and brakes
Preferably a cage.

A lot of the people here automatically think that you're trolling or making dumbass statments/comments when you say "I want to hit 200mph" It's because they just don't want to hit 200mph.

You WILL need around 750hp to get to the 185+mph range. It's just the laws of physics there, esp. with the horrid aero of the 'Rolla.

I too seriously want to hit 200mph in my Supra, but that's a "Bucket List" goal. I realize what it'll take and I'm willing to wait another 10 or 15 years to make it happen. Hopefully it'll be on the same 7M setup I have now (with larger Injectors, pumps, & turbo).

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'll give you some advice.. when all the lines on the highway are solid about 150.. Don't hit your stock brakes, they wont do much. And when they do dont panic if the rear end comes up and feels super lose. :eek4dance:

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
And just think, that 350Z tapped out at what looks like 350kmph (217mph) and looks like the problem happened around the 320kmph (199mph) mark.

I would love to see an older Toyota go that fast though:eek4dance:. And I know that Rusty is serious enough about it to get it done someday.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not that I really want to go 200mph, just want to know what you guys would worry about if your goal was to go that fast.

Rusty, I get you 100% in your response. btw picking up complete lsd ma70 rear. hope its not 4.30 gears lol

To those who took me kinda serious, thanks! To the rest...I might do it, I might not. Its a thought so far and every single person doubted my car project to ever be completed.

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
I see it ending up something like this... except without being able to walk away from it.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Silver-State-Classic-350Z_57095.htm
Do some research on that. You might just happen to find out that it wasn't mechanical (car) failure, or engine failure, or driver failure. Front right tire blew out @ around 210 to 220 mph. Notice he starts couter steering a bit as he's slowing, then counter steering more, then hard core like 1/4 to 1/3 left turn counter steer, then BAM shit just rolls & rolls & rolls.

That's when a $4000+ roll cage comes in VERY handy, and the HANS neck brace, and the arm restraints and window netting *nods.* Were it not for all that safety gear, the 350 would have been much more of a pancake, and in a LOT more pieces. That car probably had more than 12 points an insane amount of X braces. Re-watch the video and check out the A-Pillar gussets that run the full length, and it's not like 3 or 4 or 5 BIG ones like the drifter boyz do with only 12" or so gussetted. It's a FULL LENGTH gusset, top to bottom of A-Pillar. I'd bet MONEY that the B and possibly C pillar were also gussetted, as well as gussetted X-braces on the doors, and elsewhere.

I also figured out a NICE way around PRO-AM Formula Drift rules about Roll Cages penetrating the firewall. DON'T PENETRATE the firewall... but there's nothing in it about butting a Strut Tower brace to a welded plate on the firewall, that just so happens to have EXCELLENT mounting penetration to the plate on the cabin side of the firewall which is where the interior roll cage terminates *WINK WINK*.

I love rule books and finding loop holes!! Because personally I don't see why Formula Drift guys can have tubular front ends, but PRO-AM guys can't even penetrate the firewall to tie in cages... STuuuuuuPID!. I mean shit man... you'd think they'd want us to be SAFER in the car, not less safe.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts