Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I got my first Celica Supra a little over a year ago. She is a garage queen and does very well at the local shows. It still impresses me the attention that this car gets. I am in Austin, TX but this car came from Virginia. The previous owner was a member of this forum. It is rust-free and still has it's original paint on all surfaces, except for the headlight covers. 52,xxx miles. I am getting ready to repair the AC system as this is mandatory in TX and almost year-round. It also has a problem with no heat. The parts availability for the car is an area of serious concern, especially when dealing with automatic air-conditioning components. Originally, the car was delivered to the first buyer who bought the dealer-installed sunroof. Talk about never-to-be-found parts. I have rebuilt the top and don't plan on opening it. It is the car's Achilles heel. If it ever breaks......... Love the car as well as the way it drives. Cheers

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
You are lucky, Phil knows them inside out.
I'm sure he can give you good advise.

Which member was it?

Welcome!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keith Keller was the previous owner from 2007-2017. I am not aware of his forum member name.

I am looking forward to some good forum teamwork.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

What work do you need to do on the AC system? I just took mine out of my '82 and still have all the parts minus the EPR and the suction pipe that goes in front of the radiator. If you need anything, let me know.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Welcome to Supras. There are several of us in the local area. I took my after market sunroof out too. You are right about it getting attention at shows. In my area the hot rods get the most attention but I get enough to make it satisfying. When you get your ac running let me know how you did it. I tried to convert mine to 134a and have never had it working for very long, but I only drive it every so often.

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Going through the owners manual page by page is a great way to learn the features and option on the '82.

Having the factory repair manuals (TSRM) Toyota Service Repair Manuals is a bit tricky since for the '82 model all the manuals are separates compared to the Big Green Books for the other years...

1982 Celica TSRM # 36150

1982 Celica Supra Chassis & Body Supplement # 36147

1982 Celica Supra Electrical Wiring Diagram # 98955

1982 5M-GE Emission Control Manual # 36143

1982 Toyota Maintenance Procedures various models incl Celica Supra # 36144

1981 5M-GE Engine Repair Manual # 36145

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
For A/C I prefer R12 over R134a as our factory system was set up for R12...

Generally an intact A/C system that doesn't blow cold enough usually only requires a can or 2 of Oil Conditioner 2oz of oil with 2 oz of R12...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate the welcome! Celicasupra.com is a great find. I was fortunate to have received a full set of factory manuals with the car. The manuals are fantastic. Easy to read and easy to follow. They compare to the engineering in this car. Lots of good stuff. I have rebuilt the clutch master and slave and everything came apart and went together without drama, sweet.

My a/c system has mostly suffered from time and lack of use. I would guess it has been decades since the A/c has been operated. I know the previous 2 owners had inoperative a/c and never had the system worked on. I am replacing the compressor with a new unit, replacing all seals, Schroeder inserts, coil, evap, expansion valve, you name it. My heat problem is a different story. It lies in a problem with the auto a/c system that I have not diagnosed, yet. I appreciate letting me know about the parts that were removed awaiting to the rescue of another.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts