Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. today has not been a good day...

It's raining, and walk out to my car at 5 am to go to walmart... (whats the crazy looks for? Doesn't everyone go to Walmart at 5am? :wink: ) Unlock my door, open it and slide into the puddle thats supposed to be my driver seat. :mad: So I sit there for a minute ( I figured a few seconds longer wouldn;t hurt..I was already wet), and waited for the drip to his me... and hit me it did...

So here's the question...

Anyone know of a good product to reseal your windshield, or how much it would cost a glass shop to reseal it?

·
Registered
517 Posts
A long time ago I had bought a supra that had it,s windshield replaced!
It was not done properly by the Glass shop the previous owner had the work done.
I had seen a bit of a gap but did not take it seriously!
Later with time water leaked,thus rusting around the frame.
Not one bodyshop in Vancouver wanted to do the work properly(cuting and puting new metal)blowing me off or telling me it would cost 10'000 dollars.
One bodyshop said it would take a great deal of craftmanship that nobody does anymore.
I had rememberd "working at a bodyshop"before how the Glass guy worked when
he removed the windsheild, He use a razor knife to cut the seal and scraping all the metal around the frame. In one case a body man used a air powered wheel sander to sand the remaining silicone, cause he was frustrated with the slow work :shock:
Why the long reply? Just make sure the work on your car is done properly
Cause on my old car I ended up getting an inexperience bodyshop that lied about knowing how.
I ended paying $1300 and rust that began creaping back out.
again.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Bob, black rtv sealant should do the trick, or, if you pull the windshield(almost impossible without breaking it!), you can clean the track up and use butyl tape for sealing it into the frame.
DZone is right, ya gotta watch them folks who install windshields very carefully, cuz they like to use screwdrivers and razor blades to remove the old sealant, and that usually means taking it down to bare metal in certain spots. If you really want the job done right, I'd suggest you pull the window yourself (or have them just pull the window out, then come back later to reinstall), clean the whole track without scraping, then have the shop come in and drop a new windshield in.
Of course, this sounds a bit overkill for just a leak, but if it's leaking and you live in a salty area(road salt/ocean breeze), chances are you've got salt down in that crack and over the next year it will rust.
It sucks, don't it? I've had more vehicles with rust around the windshield than most, of course being from Hawaii, everyone there gets it sooner or later...

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
theres lots of scraping to be done if you want to do it right. Last time I did a windshield I ended up cleaning the the stuff down to the metal then sanding and repainting the ridge. I did this to fix a leak as well, but in that case the leak was at the top of the windshield so I didn;t remove the windshield, just gutted all of the urethane in the ridge. Black urethane is what is used to hold windshields in place. In my case using it to try and fill the leaks from a botched windshield install was futile. After many attempts and tons of ureathane pilling on, I gutted all of the sealant out of the top of the windshield, primed and painted the ridge then resealed it with urethane (this time putting the trim clips in BEFORE the urethane (the cause of my original problem on the previous winshield install). It never leaked after that and I was able to fix a bit of minor rust in there while I was there.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
my 82 ptype is like that right now, :cry: both corners acually. i was a little affraid to yank it out. but now i have a spare windshield from my parts supra. :D i can cut out the old (chipped anyway), and put in the new. 8) im just so worried about frame as you were, my 15 y/o cousin pulled out the one from the parts car.. w/ a razor knife and 45min later was out.. now next: replace the one in my 82. Goodluck to you. :wink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts