Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there’s an upcoming “Sport Compact” drag race event on the 18th and we’ve had plans to swap a 2UZ and turbo it, but we are of course behind. We decided to just race the 5ME* that’s in it and see how far we can push it with some nitrous and various simple mods. We started with tearing apart a lot the interior of our 1980 Celica Supra. We still have some miscellaneous things to get out like the stubborn speakers/bolts, sound deadening, and some dash components.

We ran a 17.6 @ 78.8 MPH last summer, so it’ll be interesting to keep progressing that number lower over the summer.

Here’s the gutting video:

*the engine has a 5ME sticker on it...the badge in the engine bay says 4ME. If I’m not mistaken, the 5ME wasn’t added to the Supras until later in 1980. Anyone know what’s up with that? Is that info wrong? It could just be a swap or someone had fun with a sticker.

·
MGSS Afflicted
165 Posts
If it is an 80, then it is a 4M-E if it has the original engine. If you are sure it is a 5M-E, then it is a swap someone before you did. Do I have your car in the worldwide registry?

And by the way, there is no way these were 2800 lbs fully loaded. I'll pull my weight slip out with mine on the trailer and I think it was over 3100

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If it is an 80, then it is a 4M-E if it has the original engine. If you are sure it is a 5M-E, then it is a swap someone before you did. Do I have your car in the worldwide registry?

And by the way, there is no way these were 2800 lbs fully loaded. I'll pull my weight slip out with mine on the trailer and I think it was over 3100
I haven't added it to the registry yet, but I'll look into it!

I don't think that's correct considering the 1/4 mile time and MPH. The motor would have had to make about 30 more horsepower to run a 17.6. Did you weigh just the car itself? I think you'll find your truck and trailer weighs more than you think. We're going to take it to get weighed at some point so we'll know for sure. 😁

·
MGSS Afflicted
165 Posts
facebook.com/groups/firstgenerationsupraowners to join the group exclusively for owners and get your car in the registry. If not interested in joining, post up or PM me a picture of the build plate on the firewall is all I need. We have 240 verified worldwide now including junk yard and previously destroyed cars, and about another 80 I know about but don't have their data. Of that total, a rough guess of less than 200 left running in the world. Makes it a pretty exclusive club

The trailer has been weighed at 1650 lbs empty and was just short of 4800 with the car on it but I can't find the weigh slip now. Maybe with the registration, but I can't find that either lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts