Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well, I've read mixed reviews on doing this, but it seems like everyone says something different, so I'm going to go ahead and give it a try.

Tomorrow I'll be changing out my oil for Redline Synthetic 10w40. The engine has ~45,000 miles on it, and no leaks to be seen anywhere. So we shall see what happens. If it developes a bad leak, I will switch back real quick. I'll be sure to let everyone know what happens, as it seems (from searching) that there is little or no one experienced in actually running synthetic.

Any last words for me before I do this? It cost me a mere $36, so.....

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
At 45,000 miles, your engine should still be in excellent condition with only minimal wear and tear so switching to synthetic should be to your advantage. I wouldn't worry about the possibility of leaks developing since you still have low mileage on your engine.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
as it seems (from searching) that there is little or no one experienced in actually running synthetic.

Not so! I've been using and studying synthetic lubricants since 1976.
8)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave A. said:
Not so! I've been using and studying synthetic lubricants since 1976. 8)
good to hear! you've been doing it for so long that it must be alright :wink: . Any advice?

·
Registered
591 Posts
my 5m had 125K miles when i went to synthetic. i didn't go directly to it tho i used a synthetic blend first then went full synthetic and my now 135K 5m has no leaks.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I have been using Redline 10/40 since 26k miles now at over 100k with Amsoil oil filters. Redline is local to me so alot cheaper than online. I'm sold on sythetics lower temps and protection.

Recently found quite an oil pressure loss when using 10/30 thanks to the rocket scientists at Jiffy Lube got an oil change when I wanted a coolant flush :(

I use Amsoil 0w30 and filter in my Truck.

If you need oil or filters contact Dave A he is a Amsoil dealer and highly recommended.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
don't worry. many of us run syn. and if u develop a leak u can
always get a new engine lol. u could easily change back if u
get lots of bad leaks but i'd try to change seals if possible cause
syn's so much better (lower wear). Also, if u don't do much wot then try
5 or 10w30 for a little mileage and power improvement.

StanS

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
If you don't mind spending a few extra dollars, go with Amsoil series 2000 0W-30 in your low mileage 5MGE. Don't let the viscosity rating scare you! The 0W-30 has exceptional shear stability, superb flow characteristics, all combined with a good blend of additives and can help improve your MPG by one or two points. Be sure to use an oil filter that is designed for synthetic lube as well! The anti-drainback valves in Amsoil oil filters are designed specifically for use with synthetic lube and are made from a silicone elastomer which is more resistant to leakdown than the material used in conventional oil filter anti-drainback valves. 8)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
got the synth in..... no leaks yet. the oil pressure rides up WAY higher now though!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mobile 1 Synthetic and Mobil 1 oil filters all the way. I've been using it on my Camry since 60k and it has 128k now. Runs greats.

I'm not putting it on my 164k Supra until I'm ready to deal with leaks.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW running Redline 10w40 with the carquest top of the line oil filter (same as Napa Gold, etc). cause it was what they had. plus i've heard plenty of good stuff about Redline, and didn't want to bother with having to online purchase my oil.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have been using w20-50 Penziod and at 3000miles oil change, I noticed that it lost almost on quart of oil(oil pressure was high too, all the way to the end of 3rd bar on highway). When I use it w20-50 with lucas oil stabilizer, There is no oil lost (at lease I cant tell the different when I checked the oil).
thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,577 Posts
The reason high milage engines develop leaks is because the seals and rubber in them get used to the dyno oil. The synthetic doesn't make them swell so much so they shrink a little. The solution is simple, add a can of seal swell with every oil change. Its an additive that keeps your seals from shrinking. Or just buy Mobil 1s synthetic for high milage engines. Its just their regular synthetic with the seal swell already added. Its available in 10w 30 as well. We recently switched my wifes corolla with 170,000 kms on it to synthetic. This motor is actually pretty beat, it been abused badley before we got it. Low compression, bad blow by etc. Anyways, we're on our second oil change of synthetic now and no leaks, and it actually burns less oil then it did before.

·
Registered
54 Posts
my sythn experience

my last supra leaked like a sieve when running synthetic and i ran everything from 5w30 in the winter to 15-40 in the summer thats the specs as per toyotas "MKII" supra book.also my oil pressure dropped some but thats no suprise considering the viscosity is so much lower, and that doent mean oils not getting around, it probably getting around probably better than it was.
ans it stands to reason that is nay areas are slightly oil starved what synthetic that is getting there will be doing a better jobs and not breaking down.
you may get leaks due to the nature of the seals which i have hear shrink when exposed to synthetic but from what ive heard here on this board seems few probs.
i am not running my supra in the winter so i THINK ( not sure)will stick to mineral oil and change more frequently. As to the the getting more mileage issue i am leery at those claims.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I claim to be the worlds most experienced user of seal sweller added to M1.
My last mk2 leaked like sieve. STP brand is a BEST BUY. Better than most and as good as best expensive brand (??? Brothers) i could find.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I used Castrol Full Synthetic 10W-30 with no leaks (172,000 miles). From now on, I think I will use a Synthetic Blend from Mobil, just to be safe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts