Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spent several days in L.A. and was successful in shipping back several needed parts for my cars, engines, tranny, wheels, etc. AND, while there I managed to find a company , that is specializing in importing Japanese engines, and trannies direct from Japan. He does not get any 22R motors as he tells me they only have the 20R motors, and he says he gets a few 5m motors, but everything else he says he has and gets regularly. And when I was there I saw plenty , maybe 50 motors, and more than that in transmissions. AND, he imports all Japanese motors, nissan, Mistubishi, Toyota etc. He is and older Japanese man, and he cleans them up, and sells them direct to the public. DHX shipping is / was (they are moving about 10 miles west) just down the street. He says most motors have about 35 thou on them, due to some kind of emission control limits that are enforced in Japan. I was pretty impressed w/ his inventory. He says he will crate, and drop at local shipping companies, (for a fee I assume). Most of his engines are around 500.00 I understand.

"So for all you engine swappers / Here is the info: Mark Nonobe
M & P Trade Co.
Gardena, CA.
Toll free 1-888-874-7888
310-537-8898

·
Registered
659 Posts
why do you think that moonpie, it is true that they junk cars with less than 30k on them and less than 5 years old due to smog, emmission requirements in japan....I know because I was stationed there in 90-92 and bought a "junked" 88 honda accord car from salvage yard with only 20,000 kilometers on it and was in perfect/mint condition.

·
Registered
244 Posts
i bought a japan engine from a similer company for my 93 camry. they put in writting it was 40k or less. it was shipped on a pallet and shrink wrapped. it was very clean. after i installed the engine i was amazed at the differance in power and great milage.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
that is only a myth once the old guys join they will explain it better
do a yahoo search for 30,000 miles jdm myth

·
Registered
809 Posts
You can get lucky. The 6m in my car is amazingly fresh and clean. May not have been 30k, but whoever got the local engine importer to do the work lucked out. The whole motor is smooth, clean, and strong, although I have a slight bit of oil consumption over the long haul. No idea how long it's been in the car. It is definitely a better deal to inspect and check over a newer motor than to rebuild an old, tired one--in terms of time, money, and trouble. But I would agree that these motors can have unknown problems, understandably.

I have spoken to a Japanese guy who teaches Japanese at a local high school, and he confirmed what we've heard about the onerous tax and fee rates on cars that would seem relatively new to us. I don't know if it's a pollution thing or a stimulus program, but they make it expensive to keep higher mileage cars. Hasn't member Rosso ever commented on this issue?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
It isn't a 35k Myth.

It isn't a 35k Law.

Could be less than, could be more than. Yes it is expensive to keep the mileage going over there. People usually ditch the engines long before they are dead.

Treat it like a core. Inspect it. Fix it. Run it.

I would personally rather grab an engine out of a junk yard car, But 6m won't be found here.

I guess it depends on the situation.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
If your still in the L.A area looking for that 22R try hitting up these guys in North Hollywood, CA. I have bought a few 6MGE's from them in the past.
They are right off the 170 fwy on Sherman Way and Laurel Canyon (818) 756-5333

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Bought 2 6mge's. Both had good compression (180-186psi) but they burnt oil thru worn valve guides. (Put in new valve seals which helped somewhat).

·
Registered
659 Posts
it is an emissions deal in japan, know that from being there in early 90s and talking to guys still in military over there now. several motors from japan bought by local military here and like early post, very clean, ran great with zero problems. my 2 cents.

·
Registered
906 Posts
30k miles is a marketing ploy. That is the average, for all engine in THAT BATCH, as per say.

Reality = they are salvage yards, similar to the U.S.A. While in the Bus. "18 years" I had the opportunity, to watch a video, specificaly about Japanese auto wrecking. MOST of those engines, come from wrecked cars, just like here.

We did a study, of our inventory once, just for giggles .... OUR avergae, was 17,000 miles, of in stock engines.

Now, add in ...... 30k miles, of Downtown Tokyo driving, fewer oil changes than we average ... as they charge a weeeee bit more than the local Jiffy lube for oil, and do the calculations on wear and tear.

Then, figure your basic 5/6m from japan, has probably been sitting on the shelf for 15-25 years now, gaskets and seals are junk.

As for the "laws" They are all B.S.

The issue is, they charge more, to tag older cars, to keep newer, more fuel efficient, and emmissions friendly cars on the road. Enough more, it's often cheaper, to purchase and "maintain" that newer car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts