Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just payed $170.00 cnd for a 1984 P type 5 speed Supra! :rockon:

-340,000km or 211,000 mi
-car was oilsprayed in all the body panles but still rusted out the hatch and rear pillars
-hood, light popups and covers are all mint, doors are solid ... but ruff.
-undercarrage is perfect!!! A arms are totally covered in oil ect.
-the power steering pump blew out the shaft seal a month before he parked it so the entire engine compartment and undercarrage was ... uummmm ... heavily coated with protectant.
-hadn't started it in 4 months, put on the booster cables and VVROOOMMM! Started right up and idled beautifully. Nice and smooth for the milage. A hint of smoke out the exhaust but not bad at all.

Now for the problems...

He said that he was driving down the road (Im assuming a very rough road...) when the rubber mount on the top of the left front strut ripped out! it banged up the fender and the flare but didn't do any real dammage. This is where it gets interesting? He replaced the strut with a good used unit and when he started the car up he had NO CLUTCH AT ALL! :whutthef:

He never even tried to fix it. I figured it would be a hydraulic problem but the fluid resivior was still full. The pedal feels normal and pumps and springs back up. I put the car in gear and cranked the motor and the clutch was fully engaged and the car learched. I bought it in the dark and havn't got it home yet to look at it but what could cause this?

Is the slave cylinder in a location where it could be knocked off by the busted strut?

Could the "throw out fork" be mashed?

How do the master cylinders act when there on the way out?

I'll pull the tranny if I have to but I was just currious about your ideas first. I have to trailer it home so it might be a while untill I can get a good look at it but either way ... I AM SO PUMPED!!! :flex: :beer: :humpleg:

Finding a parts Supra in Ontario that isn't TOTALLY rusted away is damn near impossible! Getting a running Supra in this good of shape 40 miniuts away for parts car price ... PRICELESS! :bling:

Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just got off the phone with an ex-Supra (he races Celicas with the 22-re now) friend of mine and he said the clutch disk can stick to the flywheel if the car has been siting for a while and there has been a lot moisture around. He told me to put it in reverse and tow it backwards around a field popping the clutch and it should break free after a while.

Anybody ever had this happen to them?

What do you think of the scientific method for freeing the disk?

Anybody???

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
it could just be that the hydrolic lever that pushes the clutch fork has come off the side of the tranny. If thats not attached you won't be able to disengage the clutch. Could be that the throw out bearing and fork have come apart too, they're only held together with metal clips like what hold your brake pads in. From what you said it didn't sound like the car sat before the problem started, I would think it would take some serious down time for the clutch to rust to the flywheel/pressure plate.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update ... and it's great news.

My buddy Dave was right! I got it home on a trailer and bum started it first gear. I held the clutch in and drove down the gravel road lurching the whole car by pumping the gas peddle. I was about to give up after about 20 seconds and pop! The clutch let go of the flywheel, made some distinctive clutch smoke smell, and now works perfectly. I also checked the limited slip diff and it works too. :wink:

You people in sunny Califoria have no idea how harsh an enviroment Canada is for a car. There is a reason why Supras are harder to find up here ... they have all been crushed a long time ago.

Me thinks Me Likes The 5 Speed !

·
Registered
160 Posts
they have much more balls I have to say.

Good job on your find man, wish I could find me a fixer upper in my area for that much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts