Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Let me know if this isn’t the spot for this post.

Just got an 88T and I have a few questions.

1. What oil pressure should she be running?

2. What does the dipstick look like? This sounds dumb but the guy wasn’t really the best at maintenance and I am afraid he put the wrong stick in. The one I have is like a coated cable instead of flat metal stick and it has a yellow finger pull.

3. What’s stock boost? 6lbs?

4. What type of play if any should the turbo have?

5. Finally can ayone think of why after I get on her hard she would stall out when I push in the clutch to slow down? ( I am in the process of checking the fuel filter and plugs. Any other ideas?)

If I should look elsewhere for the questions to be answered let me know and I will gladly do so.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
1. my eperience w/ my 2 mk3's, they idle around 20 and hit about 40 above 2500rpms

2. It's right. The dipstick is yellow handled, and looks like a speedo cable.

3. 5.5-7psi...depends

4. It's normal for it to have some play. It should do no more than slightly wiggle (maybe about 1/16" max?)

5. Sounds like a vacuum leak of some sorts. On my 87, I had the egr pipe loose on the egr valve, and it was sucking in air. Did the same thing you describe.

This q shoulda probly went into 5/6/7mgte section.

Christian

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Josh, those cracked intake pipes should explain the stalling problem.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok,

It does have the right dipstick.

The stalling problem was a small vaccum hose under the intake pipe that came unplugged.

the oil pressure should runa bout 20lbs at idle and around 40 at 2-3 k RPM.

I havent checked the play better yet but she is running only 5 lbs of boost...

Thanks for the answers

·
Premium Member
5,572 Posts
7mgte is a low pressure/high volume oiler. Took awhile to get used to seeing pressure sitting down around 20 or so on my 91T, but that is normal.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Snake2715 said:
1. What oil pressure should she be running?
'88 TSRM states:
@ idle speed - 4.3 psi or more
@ 3000 rpm - 36-71 psi

Snake2715 said:
3. What’s stock boost? 6lbs?
'88 TSRM states:
MT - 5.5-7.5 psi
AT - 4.8-6.0 psi

HTH

·
BIG BOSS HOSS
4,460 Posts
4SFED said:
7mgte is a low pressure/high volume oiler. Took awhile to get used to seeing pressure sitting down around 20 or so on my 91T, but that is normal.
It's the exact same pump that a 85+ 5mge has execpt for the casting and pickup tube.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys this info is helping me out. I haven’t had a chance to get it compression checked. I am hopefully going to get that part ironed out this weekend.

I am going to adjust the valves and get everything in perfect order before I pull it.

I live in the country and have no problem taking it for a spin without worry of any cops so I figure I might as well get it tuned a little before I drop her in my car.....

....Plus this gives me more time to pick up other essentials.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts