Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Recently made it down to the SASCA autocross on the 13th down just north of san antonio and had an absolute blast running the car around cones, even though i wasn't anywhere near competitive. The folks there gave me a lot of slack as far as classing as it was my first time, putting me in H-street, even though my car definitely doesn't qualify for H-street in the slightest, but now that i've been doing some research my car should sit somewhere in the street touring class quite nicely. Im on stock 14x7 rims with 215/65r14 BFG ATs right now, and that set of tires is almost 4 years old at time of this writing, even though the treadwear barely shows i've used them given how aggressive a tread those are, but im already looking at upgrading to better tires and 15 or 16 inch rims for next year, as it'll be my first full season of autocross and i want to be at least a little bit competitive. Im looking for advice on little upgrades and things i can do to help up my times while not sliding out of street touring class. here's what my car has so far:
  • Dobinson 1 inch Lowering springs front and rear, from that group buy a few years back. the rear is still kinda tall for my tastes, but its lower than stock, and a lot stiffer

KYB AGX adjustables all 4 corners, i had the parts saved up after planning to install them on my old mk2 supra, but they fit on my celica gt with a little bit of coersion.

EBC greenstuff pads up front, centek ceramic drum pads in back, though Im about to have a van axle at my disposal, so those will probably get replaced with something generic until i can get a set for the van in.

Braided steel lines all over the car; everytime a brake component fails i just replace the line at the same point and at this point its all stainless lines.

T3 upper strut perches, as i snapped a bolt for one of the original ones while doing a recent suspension job and couldn't find anyone that stocked original spec perches anyway.

2.25 inch cat back exhaust, hoping to add headers to that soon and a hi-flow cat.

and lastly hopefully either 15x8 or 16x8 rims wrapped in a performance all season tire by next spring
what can i add to this and not slide into street prepared classes? strut top bars have been on my radar, as well as a stiffer front antisway bar and possibly one of those nice shiny new T3 panhard bars, but i know i can't do both antisways or that puts me in prepared class. any advice from people using this chassis in autocross?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Tires are going to be your biggest gain in time and fun over anything else. Focusing on a good set of 200 treadwear tires should be top of the list for sure.

As for other upgrades the brake lines I would say get quickly as well as a good set of pads. A bigger front swaybar will be a big help as well. The exhaust probably wont gain you a lot but having something that sounds more spirited helps the mental side of things.

All that said, seat time is what you should focus on more than anything else you do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advice! everything except the tires and sway bar i've actually already done; i kinda built this car to be a canyon carver and just happened to make a really fun autocross car in the process! Im working on getting more seat time; im going to be running again this weekend in san antonio and im looking forward to seeing how i stack up now that im not 100% green

1 - 3 of 3 Posts