Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got the chance to drive a second gen MR2 Turbo today, and MAN was it QUICK!!! It REALLY pushed me back into the seat when I gunned the gas. The car was a 5 speed with the following mods: Blow-off valve, exhaust, HKS racing clutch; I believe that to be all of the preformance mods though. Anyhow, this was my first time driving stick, but I DID NOT stall the car a single time. Not bad eh? I did miss a gear or two though. The car did need some work, mainly with 3rd gear slipping a bit; furthermore, the rear bumper had a dent in it (not too big though). The guy wanted $2,700, but the biggest deterrent was the mileage at 156,000. Car ran decently, but throughout the test-drive all I could think of was how much I missed my 82 Celica Supra. Granted, it wasn't the fastest car but I just missed the driving feel of my Supra. So I am going to save my money up a bit more, and by spring I should be able to find myself at least a somewhat pristine Mk2 Supra. I miss you baby:sadsmilie

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Thats not bad of a deal for a turbo mr2 even in that condition and mileage. The plus side of the high mileage is its probably been rebuilt at sometime. I drove a stock turbo mr2 other then an exhaust and I was so dissapointed on how slow it was. My mk3 on 10psi was quicker. If I was in your situation, I would take the mr2 over the mk2. Its faster, better handling and a larger aftermarket.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats not bad of a deal for a turbo mr2 even in that condition and mileage. The plus side of the high mileage is its probably been rebuilt at sometime. I drove a stock turbo mr2 other then an exhaust and I was so dissapointed on how slow it was. My mk3 on 10psi was quicker. If I was in your situation, I would take the mr2 over the mk2. Its faster, better handling and a larger aftermarket.
It really isn't a bad deal at all. The car was never rebuilt though. The turbo was replaced with a used one. The car wasn't in too bad of shape though, but I would rather save up a bit more and find one with fewer miles and in better condition overall. The interior was just OK too. I have been seriously thinking about getting a mk3 supra as well. Just the notorious BHG woes scare me a bit, but if I can find one with the headgasket already replaced then I might have something there then. It is just hard for me to devote much time looking around for school since my college's semester still going on. Only have another 3 weeks and then I will be able to devote more time to car shopping. It is just not the best time right now, but the SW20 MR2 is a SICK car though.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
you will regret buying a piggy . i do . the only good thing about a mkIII is the drivetrain. i wish i could do the swap and junk the piggy. i miss driving my MKII. i miss it allot!!!!hold out. get what you love. dont settle for third or fourth best.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you will regret buying a piggy . i do . the only good thing about a mkIII is the drivetrain. i wish i could do the swap and junk the piggy. i miss driving my MKII. i miss it allot!!!!hold out. get what you love. dont settle for third or fourth best.
I feel what you are saying. I would rather wait a few more months and have the $7,000 or so to buy a really nice SW20 Turbo or MK2 Supra that is in nicer shape then get something that I am not feeling 100%. When I drove my MK2 Supra for the first time I KNEW I had to have it, but with the SW20 Turbo I drove I didn't have the same MUST HAVE feeling like I did with the MK2 Supra. Maybe it was mainly because of the just OKAY shape of the car?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts