Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all new to the 7mgte. If I want to have that loud WOOSHING sound when I let off my gas when boosting, do I need an aftermarket blow off valve or is it the wastegate? And please gimme some pointers on brands and part #s. Thanks

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes maybe william can help me, but I thought I would ask the whole community. Lot of times that way I can get advice on brands, P/Ns and such. There is always a time that you are new at something, asking questions helps get awnsers and more knowledge. Didnt think that I could search this one directly because its not really important. :thumbsup: Thanks

·
Registered
402 Posts
the woosh sound your thinking of is probably the blow off valve dude lol :laugh: and if you have the money the best sounding one is the HKS SSQV :zzzzz: (in the range of 300$-500$ depending on whats included)
but there are cheaper versions but cheaper price means cheaper quality...
check this video out of a supra with one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgOWqv66ED0

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
An important thing you should know is that the more noise it is making, the less air it is letting out. That means its not doing what it is designed to do very well and also risking compressor surge and screwing up your turbo....But if thats worth it to you for a cool wooshing sound, go right ahead and get a cheap ebay bov and a attachment that makes the exit hole smaller. Smaller hole, louder noise. Think about whistling. Take a huge breath (boost the turbo makes) open your mouth all the way and let out...hear much noise?? no, cause it was released well.
Do the same except pucker like ur gonna whistle..takes much longer to relieve pressure but sure makes a cool sound.

See what Im getting at.

·
Registered
313 Posts
You need an aftermarket BOV to make that bitchin' whistle.I personally like the HKS super sequential blowoff valve (ssqv)

·
Registered
5,448 Posts

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
An important thing you should know is that the more noise it is making, the less air it is letting out. That means its not doing what it is designed to do very well and also risking compressor surge and screwing up your turbo....But if thats worth it to you for a cool wooshing sound, go right ahead and get a cheap ebay bov and a attachment that makes the exit hole smaller. Smaller hole, louder noise. Think about whistling. Take a huge breath (boost the turbo makes) open your mouth all the way and let out...hear much noise?? no, cause it was released well.
Do the same except pucker like ur gonna whistle..takes much longer to relieve pressure but sure makes a cool sound.

See what Im getting at.
You stole my comparison method! Lol. Keep preaching the good word!

You have a MAF'd car, get a good recirc BOV (I suggest the Bosch) and focus on the 40000 other problems you're going to have with the swap. You keep dawdling on stupid shit like BOV's, you're never going to get it done.

--BillyM

·
Registered
102 Posts
have you ever looked at the stock one? or vented it to atmosphere and plugged the recirc hose? its really loud. so does that mean the stock one is letting less air out? risking compressor surge? also the HKS makes less noise then a stock bypass valve when you remove the insert, the insert also does not impede airflow its just 3 small fins going with the airflow that create the noise. i run 19 psi and i only get very small amounts of surge around the 1-2 psi when the car is cold and the turbo isn't even spooled.

See what Im getting at.

·
Registered
102 Posts
And I should probably add, if your 7m is maf based then a vta (vent to atmosphere) bov will skew the maf readings, as it will have measured all that air coming in and calculate the fuel for it. This means the car will run somewhat rich when it vents, but with a wideband you can keep an eye on what its doing.

and if the 7m is map based then you will have no problems.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow gotta slew of raging responses. Thanks people for your wise words of turboness. I am just making conversation while I wait on my :censored: wiring :censored: harness!!!!:32::32::32::34::dead hors:dead hors:ugly_08: I think that I will probably make that decision later on when my engine is in but still wise words of turboness I wanted. :thumbsup:
:mk2_vroom

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
basically I am gathering up all my information and parts until my harness comes back. I have already relocated the dipstick tube and installed a new 5m pump and the 5m oil pan, I have a dual friction centerforce clutch and pressure plate w/ bearings, Spearco clone intercooler, my tach adapter, my oil filter relocation kit,my flywheel has been resurfaced,my rabidchimp downpipe 3", and today I removed all the A/C shit, wow so much more room. FUCKYEAH!!!!!! sorry I m feeling crazy today:naughty::new_mofug

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
OK to the people that gave me stupid advice! :bs: A HKS ssqv Blow Off Valve is not going to cause damage to your turbo. I talked to HKS, NOPI, and mk3 and mk4 owners and they seconded my motion that it actually increases the life of your turbo tenfold. ALSO it sounds fukin cool. OH yeah my wiring harness arrived this week...getting close.

·
Registered
515 Posts
OK to the people that gave me stupid advice! :bs: A HKS ssqv Blow Off Valve is not going to cause damage to your turbo. Whoever made that up is a dumb ass.
Take it easy first of all, and research how all BOVs work before you bash on the people helping you, not everyone was talking about the ssqv.
But sure, the HKS ssqv wont restrict air flow, but that's also why you pay 5 bills for it. For the more economically priced BOVs, restriction of the air flow creates the sound. A larger diameter outlet will make a "woosh" sound, and a smaller diameter outlet will produce a "tsss" or whistle sound.

I personally wouldn't vent to atmosphere with our MAFs anyway. Releasing that metered air to atmosphere is going to enrich your mixture at every shift, etc. But that wouldn't be the worse thing you could do to the car, if you like the sound it makes, do it! You will be the one hearing it the most.

I like the way dose pipes sound honestly, and even though they're terrible for your turbo (at least it is debated to be), I want to run it that way for the sound. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCUwIsSf5UQ&feature=related

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm not bashing, sorry If I came off the wrong way. im just excited I was right about something! hasent happened offen since I started the swap.send me PMs, I think that my wife is getting me one for christmas (HKS SSQV)!! YEAA! but I'm not sure just think she is. How do you fix the bogging? How do you modify the stock ECU 7mgte because that is what I have...? I want it to run great...how do I make sure? The new SSQV's are $305 for the kit and they automatically ajust to your boost....so??? Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
OK to the people that gave me stupid advice! :bs: A HKS ssqv Blow Off Valve is not going to cause damage to your turbo. Whoever made that up is a dumb ass. I talked to HKS, NOPI, and mk3 and mk4 owners and they seconded my motion that it actually increases the life of your turbo tenfold. ALSO it sounds fukin cool. OH yeah my wiring harness arrived this week...getting close.
You're missing the point that these guys have been trying to enlighten you with - it's not the BOV itself that will damage your turbo. And it's not necessarily your turbo that will be damaged. In your case, the fact that in order for you to get your cool noise that you're wanting, you will need to vent the BOV to the atmosphere and not recirculate your already metered air back into your intake is where the problems come in. That's where the harm is on a MAF-based fuel injection system and a vented BOV. That's measured air that you're venting out to get your cool noise!! So your ECU is being told by your AFM that it measured so much air passing through here and in turn the ECU tells your injectors to inject a certain amount of fuel in for the perfect A/F mixture for to make you go fast. That mixture is no longer correct. You will be bogging and stuttering as you sound cool.
So - Get rid of your stock MAF-based EFI control system and go to a speed-density type EFI control and you won't have to worry about the A/F mixture messing you up when you want your cool noise. Even better, in the process you also get rid of your restrictive AFM and you can hear your turbo spooling up so loud it sounds like the whine of a turboprop jetengine when you're accelerating. I don't have anything but a short six inch pipe between my intake filter and the turbocharger on my SDS controlled Mark2 which I put together a few years ago. No restrictive AFM at all.
On my other 7mgte built by Shawn and Don C, they stayed with the factory Mark3 EFI and wiring harness (like yours, I assume), so on that car I replaced the stock Toyota BOV with a Bosch BOV and it is recirculated back into the intake like you will do if you if you know what's good for your Supra.
Do your fucking homework and watch who you call dumbass.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts