Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey just a quick question. My pal has an 84. states that it governs out at 5200 rpm in 5th only. Is this a normal thing. The car now has a 6m if it matters?
Later
Mark

·
Registered
310 Posts
What do u mean exactly.

·
Super Moderator
8,416 Posts
There are no speed governers in Mk2. That is unless you count the lack of further hp to accelerate the car any more (i.e. the aerodynamic brick wall).

·
Registered
310 Posts
What type of pipping does yo buddy have on his mk2. IF stock it might be restrictive on the top. That just my unproffessional opinion.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't know exactly. In every other gear the car can redline.... in 5th 5200 rpm is the limit??? It stumped me.!
Later
Mark

·
Registered
123 Posts
What diff does he have? I'd probably assume he's hitting the aerodynamic brick wall. My Celica does that about 175-180kph, and hasn't reached the redline in fifth which it can do in 4th.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sounds like you have hit the top speed of the car. How fast is 5200RPM in 5th gear, anyway? I also have never heard of a limiter on the MkII. To my knowledge most cars are drag limited to their top speed, not red line limited. If you add more power the car will go faster. You just need to think about the brakes, suspension, and aerodynamics as you add power though. :D

·
Registered
790 Posts
Really? What diff is it? I've gotten mine (85 P-type) up to about 5600 in 5th when I had the 4.30 in it (haven't had a chance to make a high speed run since I put the 4.10 in)

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
If it has the 6M computer it is speed goverend, pretty low too I think like 115 or 105. I thnk the fix is to use the 5M computer. But something seems funny you should be going alot faster than the governor by the time you hit 5200 in 5th gear. What speed is that around? Does it have the correct size tires? Are you sure its a governor and not the drag limited top speed of the car?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Jesus, I wish I had a road nearby where I could drive as fast as you folks do without getting a ticket! I've never even redlined in 4th!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
There has got to be a 2 lane country road somewhere that cops dont even bother with because theres so little traffic. I never do this kind of thing on the interstate theres cops everywhere.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I remember reading on the Yahoo list a while back that if you were to get ahold of a 6M ECU that there is a little pink wire somewhere that is the speed limiter, snip it and it's gone. I'm not sure about any side effects to doing that though.....

·
Registered
96 Posts
hmmmm no governors on mk2's? then why does my car have one? also do all the mk2's say made in japan on the little tag they have inside the engine bay on the firewall?

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
Jesus, I wish I had a road nearby where I could drive as fast as you folks do without getting a ticket! I've never even redlined in 4th!
I bet you live in Quebec with me :sadbanana:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts