Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

· Registered
1983 Celica Supra P Type Manual 80k original
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I added up all the receipts on my first full restoration project back in the late 80s and found when I sold it, that I made $17.85 which came to about 2 cents per hour for my time. That was while I was in college, working a full-time job for part-time wages, i.e. a relative budget build with even a home garage paint job. Now I'd more typically spend $9,000 on a paint job and very few cars are worth enough to "justify" that kind of restoration expense. I still always keep the receipts for each project, but only just in case they are needed to exchange a defective part, invoke a warranty or if a buyer wants to review them. I would NEVER dream of adding them up. I don't want to know.
I do think you are wiser than I am. Ya, this is our hobby. Hey, on some I've had, if you break even on raw expenses (never adding in time) then honestly you do pretty good. Or...sometimes it's good because it just convinces me to keep them and enjoy them because I put the time in so why not!?

· Registered
1984 P-Type
215 Posts
Yes, yes it is. My avatar is my actual car. Now that I've put it away for the season I'll get started on posting a build thread. Mines not finished yet but still derivable and looks pretty good.

I love the retro cassette stereo this past summer. Too bad so many cassettes have gone bad in the last 30 years.
I switched to CD's toward the end of the summer. I hit the local used CD store and started buying 80's and 90's Rock best of albums.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yes, yes it is. My avatar is my actual car. Now that I've put it away for the season I'll get started on posting a build thread. Mines not finished yet but still derivable and looks pretty good.
Well I want to see it! That IS an 80's color and something some rad dude would have done back in the day. Maybe even Rad Dan. In case you haven't seen his stuff: RAD Industries Parts Store

· Registered
1984 P-Type
215 Posts
Retro Sound system 1.0
Shelving Publication Shelf Machine Room

Retro Sound System 2.0
Publication Automotive design Shelving Book Curtain

Music Stax:
Shelf Publication Shelving Bookcase Book

Added this cool AM/FM tuner too. It matches the amp. Vintage 1986, same year as the Realistic cassette deck I scored.
Musical instrument accessory Audio equipment Electronic device Font Cassette deck

Still ran the JVC though. Drove the Cambridge speakers better. Amp was a recycling find and the tuner I got a week later. Geek audio.

· Registered
1984 P-Type
215 Posts
Ha, I didn't even realize that. We parted out an '83 in the spring. Kept anything that was remotely good or could be refinished. 20 years ago I parted out an 82 and too much went to the junk yard. Never again; too rare.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Got a few more things done.

FIRST - I put a short shifter in it with the Shiftgasm (w58bushings.com) shifter-to-tranny bushing and the Cube Speed short shifter. There were a ton of plastic shavings...like plastic sawdust all down in there so it was great to get that all out and cleaned up. I put a paper towel down in there and then was able to get the inner metal ring and the rubber ring (what was left of it) out by lightly pounding a flat screwdriver down in there and then needle nose twisting and prying and cleaning up the edges with a knife. I think vacummed it out, removed the paper towel and then put it in with the JB Weld which went well and was solid as could be a day or so later. The Cube Speed bolted right up and I took it out on a test run before putting the rest back. I learned very quickly that you NEED that rubber boot. The noise from the engine and road without that are pretty loud without that. Tore the rubber boot a little getting it off the old shifter but not too bad. All buttoned back up and it's great. I have not missed a shift at all, not even close and yes, it's MUCH more positive and quicker. BUT...there's something that I'm not loving about it. IDK. Maybe I liked a little slop. Anyway, after doing this one I did the same to my '85 4Runner but kept the original shifter and just changed the lower stick bushing and the round ball bushing. Still made a huge difference on that truck and it too had the plastic shavings from 180k miles of shifting.This video was really helpful:

SECOND - I put a new clutch line in. The master was leaking at the pushrod...inside. I had stuffed a rag up in there. It was time. And since I was doing the master...well you know how it goes...I decided to do the slave and the soft line down by the tranny. I used LuK and other quality products as I like them a lot better than what I have seen come from AutoZone etc. It was pretty easy but my Dad has a lift which made it a lot easier to access down there. For bleeding I tended to rely on the video below...don't pump but press and release (my Dad helped me.) Then, do the paddle alone to get all the air out of the slave. It feels great! Not too bad and I really only took that very low trim piece off below the steering wheel for access. for the upper stud threads I used a wobble head on the ratchet. Overall pretty easy and textbook. Got most everything from Raptor Racing, LCengineering and Drift Motion...plus some DOT3 brake fluid. Feels great! Super solid and quick engaging!

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle brake Gas

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Tell me this isn't pretty much the same as the Cube Speed? IDK. I was happy to get the name brand and maybe there is a difference. The Cube Speed is very nice..everything from the packaging to the product and it has a warranty. The bolts look a little different between the two so maybe they have a little bit of a difference in quality. It's hard to tell and I think so many of these things come from the same factories but I guess it's worth name brand on my baby.

· Registered
1989 Toyota Soarer GT Twin Turbo L
42 Posts
Tell me this isn't pretty much the same as the Cube Speed? IDK. I was happy to get the name brand and maybe there is a difference. The Cube Speed is very nice..everything from the packaging to the product and it has a warranty. The bolts look a little different between the two so maybe they have a little bit of a difference in quality. It's hard to tell and I think so many of these things come from the same factories but I guess it's worth name brand on my baby.

Wow, man, nice avatar. Cru Jones would be proud .

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Working on winter projects and have had it apart for about three weeks:

Detailed entire engine bay

Checked and cleaned most electrical connections

Cleaned and painted valve covers and other details

Cleaned full EGR system (very clogged at intake)

Cleaned full PCV system (inlet very clogged!)

I think that's it. Ready to get it back together and I can now show the engine bay off a bit at shows. I'm also excited to see if I notice any improvement with power having the EGR and PCV fully cleaned. They needed it! Concerned about seal stress that at this point will already be what it is due to that clogged EGR. Considering going to fully synthetic oil knowing it may even make leaks worse but will create less sludge and carbon than the dino which has obviously been run in my car most of it's life. (It only has 78k but I was shocked at the sludge build up.) I'll have to decide on doing seals at some point.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold Auto part

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Font Auto part

Headgear Serveware Snout Whiskers Circle

Wood Auto part Tool Metal Fashion accessory

Audio equipment Motor vehicle Gas Font Auto part

Musical instrument Wood Hardwood Metal Wood stain

Sleeve T-shirt Bag Font Pattern

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Auto part

Automotive tail & brake light Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Forgot a few things:

Cleaned out windshield washer and rad overflow reservoirs

Added a bunch of new hose clamps and checked all vacuum lines

Rewired the connections at the battery

Electrical wiring Electronic component Computer hardware Electronic engineering Electrical supply

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Nice work!

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
Thank you. Yes, cleaning up the engine bay made a huge difference and the valve covers came out pretty well! I can't say I notice much power difference with the PCV and EGR all cleaned out but it does seem to be running smoother.

Some pics of the finished bay:
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Auto part Automotive air manifold

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
beautiful!

are the ignition cable dressing clips available or did you come up with what you have there?
Thank you! It took a few weeks but made a big difference and was a fun winter project. Those spark plug wire clips were on there, came with the car. There is one that screws into a threaded hole in the driver side valve cover. The rest just keep them neatly in order and hang on the wires themselves. I doubt the ones on mine are original but maybe. I can't find those exact ones but one like I have posted below would work nicely with an M4 or M5 bolt from a local hardware store for the attachment and then there are lots of options for the detached ones from cheap to expensive, plastic to alloy etc.:

21 - 37 of 37 Posts