Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have your attention:

This is the rear end of the Mk0 Toyota Supra, the Toyota 2000GT

This is the only Toyota 2000GT in Canada. The owner of the Richmond Toyota car dealership bought it.

I was in taking pictures of it when a mechanic walks up to me and asks if I like it. After I wipe the drool off of my face, he said that he is the only mechanic allowed to touch it. I asked him how he was qualified to do this and he said that he was the oldest mechanic on staff! Take that you young bucks. There are advantages to being old!

He has driven this babe! :shocked!: He said that it doesn't have power brakes and that with 4 wheel disks you really have to stand on the brakes to bring it down from 150mph.

Apparently the owner, Christian Chia, takes it vintage car racing and plans to race it next year in Trois Rivieres.

It has been resprayed. It was bought in Maine at a dealer who has 10 more of these including 2 Shelby prepared 2000GTs. This car was originally from California.

The owner paid US$177,000 for it. I don't mind getting ripped off by their parts prices so much when I can see what he's buying with the profits.

For those who want to go see it, it's at:

Open Road Toyota
13251 Smallwood Place,
Richmond, BC Canada

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
You young bucks need to respect your history. :wink: With the 2000GT you can clearly see its influence on the mk1, mk2, and mk4 Supras.. along with the Nissan 240Z, 260Z, and 350Z.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
I think a real influence on the Z cars, espaecially the 240, was the Ferarri Daytona. Compare the two.

The 2000GT might have had a little influence.

They did put a one of a kind rag top in the Bond film "You only live twice".

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I've got a link to the specs on my Toyota Sports Cars Website, just follow the link in my sig and click on the 2000gt on the first page.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
HP: 150.1 at 6600rpm
Top Speep 128 mph (the mechanic never brought it down from 150)
0-60 10 sec
1/4 mile 16.6 sec

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
wow... id think a 2400 pound car with nice low gears and 150 horsepower could accelerate a lot better than that.

hell, our cars weigh 3000 pounds, have 145-160 horses and run as fast or faster.

maybe its something funky in the gearing i saw, or the tester was ordered not to beat the car too hard??

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
don't forget thats a 150 1960s hp. Probably doesn't account for accesories. I think the gearing was a little on the tall side too.

I read the whole history on the 2000gt. It was in an issue of SCC a little while ago, but I read an online one too. I belive the way it went, Nissan hired a brit to design the 240 for them. I think it was the same guy who styled the jag that the 2000 and 240 looks so similar too. The project fell apart after much design had been done. Nissan offloaded it and Toyota bought it. They finished it with the help of that same Brit I belive. Then Nissan decided they wanted to finish their 240 project as well and continued to work on what they had before. Something like that anyways. My point is both the 240z and 2000gt where initially designed by the same guy, who either patterened it after the jag or was the same guy who designed the similar jag.

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
oh and thanks for posting the pics dale! I have some of my own I've been meaning to post for ions but never got around to it. Yours turned out better in the crappy lighting in there anyways

·
Registered
216 Posts
HP: 150.1 at 6600rpm
Top Speep 128 mph (the mechanic never brought it down from 150)
0-60 10 sec
1/4 mile 16.6 sec
Well, despite the fact he said 150mph. Since the car is in Canada, and everything here is in Km/h, it could be that was what he was refering to.

But damn, is that a beautiful car. Almost worth a ferry trip to go see it. =)

·
Premium Member
8,377 Posts
For you SF Bay Area members the Blackhawk Behring Auto Museum has had in the past a white 2000GT as part of their collection.

Its worth a trip to the San Ramon Valley to look at the collection!!

·
Heroic Autobot
705 Posts
Gorgeous! Simply gorgeous!

·
Registered
Hot Wheels
535 Posts
Love the pictures, I have been a fan of this car for the longest time
but have never seen one in real life, I do however have a few magazines with the 2000gt, like Road and Track/International Sport Car/ SCC ect..
I also have a few links in my website with pictures of the Carol Shelby and others. The 2000gt was to expensive to build compared to the 240Z.
Thats "one" reason the 240Z took off, and the 2000gt fell behind. :roll:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmmm, quite the pedigree

The designer was Count Albrecht von Goertz a naturalized American. Apparently he designed the BMW 507 and later was on the design team that did the Porsche 911.

The car was built by Yamaha for Toyota.

A top speed of 130 sounds a lot more realistic. The other interesting topic is that Steve, the mechanic I talked to said that the car did not have power assisted brakes. SupraWes's site mentions servo assist.

Steve said that at some point in it's past the car had had mirrors on the door rather than the front fenders, so maybe the servo was removed by a previous owner.

In the flesh, it has just gorgeous lines. There is something to look at from every angle.

It certainly puts the Supra with a straight six engine and long nose, short tail into perspective. I may not be able to own a 2000GT, but I guess we all are carrying on it's heritage.

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
excellent photos! Wish I lived closer to see this classic beauty.

Years ago, a dealer out on Long Island NY had one in collection and displayed it at his Toyota showroom. I never did make the trip out there either - maybe someday I'll cross paths with a 2000 GT.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Greg,

Check out this Toyota/Hyundai Dealership in Maine

http://www.primemotors.com/exotic.htm

I believe that this is the place that the Canada car came from. Judging from the photo of 6 2000GTs, I think that this would be quite the place to go see. Notice, that the 2 Shelby American 2000GT race cars are here.

They are located at:

788-792 Portland Road US Route 1 Saco, Maine 04072
Phones: (207) 282-6161 1-800-244-6132

Oh sigh.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I wish I still had the toy model and box of a Toyota 3000GT. It said on the box "Official James Bond car." and it went on to say the first James Bond movie was not an Aston Martin.. but a Toyota.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts