Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! As the owner of the Thermactor Cressida network (www.thermactor.com and www.thermactor.com/forum) and of the ToyotaCressida.com domain, I must say that I love this forum. I don't find any of the SupraForums moronic element to be present here. And, I have noticed that this forum has a lot of activity!
That brings me to a point. I think that it would be a good investment on the behalf of this forum to migrate to vBulletin and have its own, specific forum domain name; like celicasupraforum.com or something like that, so it could have maximum speed by not being detracted from by visitors to the regular site. A great hosting provider that I have found is www.dot5hosting.com ; they have inexpensive plans with a lot of space, and, more importantly, A LOT of bandwidth available. That is perfect for a forum.

I would have had a vBulletin forum for Cressida owners myself by now, if there was enough interest, but alas, as of yet the best I can do on the forum is 20 posts per day, and that doesn't justify the cost. This forum, however, as I see, buzzes with activity and is in very good spirits.

Anyhow, no matter what the administrative team decides to do with this forum, I'm looking to be able to contribute positively to this forum myself.

Regards, Thermactor

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Hey Thermactor, welcome to the boards. I also really enjoy this board. But I believe our community is small and the forum doesn't really need it's own domain name. How will the new domain name be a benifit to us(or Mike Malloy)? It also brings in another cost factor, wouldn't it cost more than leaving it on cs.com? I'm guessing mike has to pay for the domain name, and bandwidth used for cs.com. This change may detract some of the cs.com bandwidth costs, but will also add the csforum.com domain registration, maybe even a monthly fee, AND bandwidth costs.... Where is the advantage? I have also found that speed is not a problem here. Access times are at an average for me. Besides, if you don't want to wait, you shouldn't be on the internet. :)

I also like the idea of a newbie discovering the FAQ before he/she discovers the forum. If he were to come in through the front door(cs.com), hes more likely to find what he's looking for in the FAQ.

Just my .02 cents(Canadian cents)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Andrew said:
This change may detract some of the cs.com bandwidth costs, but will also add the csforum.com domain registration, maybe even a monthly fee, AND bandwidth costs.... Where is the advantage? I have also found that speed is not a problem here. Access times are at an average for me. Besides, if you don't want to wait, you shouldn't be on the internet. :)
Ten bucks a month and no extra bandwidth fee, fast load times, and an initial vBulletin setup fee that I'm sure people would be willing to help-out with. :)

But anyway, these suggestions aren't so I have a better experience here, it's for everyone on the boards. But, they were just suggestions, to be taken for what they were worth.

I appreciate your viewpoint, however.

·
Administrator
7,186 Posts
Thanks for the kind words! I think this forum works fine, and its free. What is the advantage to vBulletin? I know its a 'better' forum, but will it really bring much more value? I thought it over many times, but I really coundnt justify paying for it when it add minimal value. I do not want to have attachments, thats for sure.

Also, the mk2 community has been spread all over the place for the last few years. By adding a forum to cs.com, I wanted most mk1/mk2 to come to 1 place for discussion. It seems like its working out, my fingers are still crossed ;)

Welcome to our humble troll free club :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts