Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have the problem when u change gears to reverse does it grind before going into reverse, is a big problem or just a minor one, should i fix it right away?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Mine also does this, have to hold the clutch in for several seconds and go in slowly.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i noticed when i place it in first then quickly put in reverse it does'nt grind, but it is annoying doing it slow

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
As previously stated, there is no synchro on reverse. The grinding occurs when you try to engage the gear while the input shaft is still spinning; it usually takes a couple of seconds for it to stop spinning after you press the clutch. Your trick of engaging first gear stops the input shaft, which is why it doesn't grind when you engage reverse.

FWIW late-model W58's (eg the JZA80 box I'm using) has synchro on reverse, so that's one way to fix the problem. :)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey norbie so how is that 2jz gte on the markII running, ur car must me a fast mutha fu*****, i wish i had the money to do a upgrade like that,

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
damn thas fast if i had i car like that i could shut my friend up with his 2003 mustang gt, are u ganna finished writing about ur car on ur web page the last update was on april,

·
Registered
870 Posts
supra83mkii said:
Do any of you have the problem when u change gears to reverse does it grind before going into reverse, is a big problem or just a minor one, should i fix it right away?
Like others said that's normal but there's a way to quickly stop the spinning input shaft. Just put it in 3rd and barely release the clutch (not all the way out) to where you can feel the clutch drag then you can put it into reverse without any grinding! :)

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
Or just deal with the click click click clunk and know that its a badass getrag and can take the pain, no sweat...

--billyM
3 toyotas with getrags, all grind shifting to rev. I think its manly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts