Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally scaped enough dough together to get my SS brake lines, poly bushings,KYB struts, and Ground control coil over adjustable spring put on my 83 supra. What happens!? the F#$%@N coil over spring are not wide enough for the KYB strut inserts!!!!! So I have stock springs and all the other goodness together, The ride is much better although alot louder when turning corners[is this creaking normal?!] I have 425lb springs and hope to save up for another run to the suspension shop, well I hope GC will exchange the springs for a larger diameter. I really love the braking feel now and definetly enjoy the twisties over the stock set up. Anybody else have this problem? I did my home work on this site but did not find any data on proper spring diameter.
Respectfully
Brian G.

·
Registered
15,092 Posts
you prolly got 2in diameter springs instead of 2.5in. the creaking is the bushings. lube them up or wrap the sway bar with teflon tape where the bushings go.
william

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup

Thanks for the reply William, I have sprayed the poly graphite bushings with silicon, I should prob use White lithium grease?

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Something is amiss here....

PolyGRAPHITE bushings should not be squeaking!!!! They are self lubricating & should not squeak at all!!! None of my PST's do this..

Now if you are on PolyURETHANE bushings, then yes, they will squeak & need to be lubed prior to install.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
P-S-T.

http://www.p-s-t.com/

And they do have stuff for RA Celica's. Better yet, THEY have swaybar upgrades for RA Celica's, but they won't work on MA Supra's.

I need to call these guys in the next few days. Need to see what they have for a rear suspension kit for the MKI... And if they have swaybar bushings in the size I need for the MKI.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hey thanks for the post. I didn't know these were available. They look like they will be a lot better than PolyURETHANE bushings.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I don't understand. How can the GC's not fit over the strut inserts? They go inside the strut housing. Do the springs not fit onto the threaded collars? Does the threaded collar fit over the strut housing? Please explain.

Christian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PST

I don't understand. How can the GC's not fit over the strut inserts? They go inside the strut housing. Do the springs not fit onto the threaded collars? Does the threaded collar fit over the strut housing? Please explain.

Christian:
I was wondering about that myself!-I did not install the springs/struts. The shop mngr said that a part of the strut housing extends into the spring and this is where the problem was.

Sqweek-more like a creak, I am not sure if the busings are making the noise or if its the old springs, also the rear sway bar bushings did not fit, not the end links -but the two bracers that attatch to the fram, I may have to jack the car up at my apartment complex to resovle these issues myself, I would like to use the G/C Eibach springs and the left over sway bar bushing set.
P:S PST did sent a grease packet with the bushings. When I have the opportunity to look under my car I will, but I'm a workin for a livin and I have had no time to do a visual-the handling is much improver-although it feels like my frontend is 2 inches higher than before.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Brian Gillespie:
Was wondering what the part number is on your GC's? I checked and mines: kit #8010.01, front spring#0700.250.0325. I have a pair-fronts only- but haven't installed them. Have tockico's-haven't installed the fronts also.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GC Spring numbers

Teng

The numbers on the spring are 110802 and 0700.250.0450, I do not know if the original strut inserts are to large for this spring, I went with the KYB GR2 and they have a wide diameter.
Brian.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Those numbers on the springs (the second set) indicate they are 7 inch springs, with a 2.5 inch inner diameter, at 325 lbs. This is a common spring that GC gives for the coilover kits. I've read the original post over several times, still don't understand what the problem could be, but perhaps because a shop was doing the install for you, not all the correct info was provided you. Could it be the coilover sleeve doesn't fit the strut housing tube ? Some members have mentioned that the threaded sleeve has to be shortened a bit for the big gland nut at the top of the strut housing to tightened down. The KYB insert, or any insert is inside the strut housing so the brand of strut insert has no role in springs not fitting (to my knowledge). You didn't mention any cutting or shortening of the strut housing itself (which requires welding) so my guess is the the threaded coilover sleeve is going to sit atop the stock lower spring perch.
Many have done this. I would talk to the shop guys some more before calling GC.

Don L.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TENG.

Well it figures, I asked for 425lb springs and they sent 325 lb springs! I don't know if what you are saying is wrong or right, I just know I spent good money on coilovers and the knowledgeable shop was not able to adapt thgem to my vehicle! I think I'm going to return the springs and than attempt to find out why the polygraphite bushings creek so damn much when I turn the wheel or go over any road irregularities.
B

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Well, I can say that the polyurethane bushings that came with my Addco swaybars now CREAK like a mofo. I didn't receive instructions or grease from Addco but I did use silicone grease everywhere there was bushing to metal contact. It working for awhile but now it's awful. Passengers ask what the noise is and what's wrong with the car all the time. I'll be trying the teflon tape trick, thanks William.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Hey Brian:

I'm sorry, mis-read the earlier posts. Sounds like you have 450 lb springs in 7 inch length and 2.5 inch inner diameter. It was Tengs posting that listed a 325 lb spring. Sorry for the confusion. Your springs would be a pretty fair initial setup. Hope you get the fitment question answered.

Also, besides greasing up the swaybar bushings, I've had to occasionally dremel the center hole of the middle bushings a bit larger, otherwise when you torque down the U brackets they clamp down on the swaybar too tight and prevent adequate rotation. Lubing and teflon tape is very good ideas too. I would suggest mounting the swaybar, tighten down the center U brackets, initially leave the endlinks disconnected, see if you can move the swaybar up and down with two fingers. If no binding, then hookup endlinks and go. Sometimes I also cut little grooves on inside of bushing so grease can retain a bit longer in there. HTH.

Don L.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
loud mofo

Thanks for the info fella's. I think I'll try the grease technique on mon if I have the time. If any one knows of a shop that is capable of making the GC coil-overs fit in San Diego or there about, I would appreciate the direction. I put the car through a vicious cornering routine last nioght and was very happy with the results, I would love to see/feel what a 425lb coilover spring would do in the same situation as compared to the stock springs-anybody know what the stock spring rate is?

Thanks all for the info, and happy enthusiastic motoring.
Brian.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts