Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to swap my 85mph speedo guage cluster for one with the 135mph speedo. I know to get it out of the celica GTS but what do I have to do to make it read right? Do i need the gear out of the tranny or can I just plug and play?

·
Registered
127 Posts
My friend got a gauge cluster for me from the junkyard but it came off of an 84-85 Celica. Everything reads correctly but the RPMs. It's not registering correctly because it came off of a 4 cylinder. You're better off getting one from a Supra.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I did the celica gauge cluster swap (got tired of waiting for an undamaged 84-85) You will need to swap the tach module. Just remove the thirty odd screws from the back and housing then unscrew and remove the celi and the supra fits right in. This is also a good time to replace/upgrade the gauge cluster bulbs (perhaps blue 8) ) As for the reading accuracy I got lucky. Mine reads accurate(sorta :roll: ) I also have 245/60s on the back and these throw off the reading by [email protected] In city traffic I have tested it and found it is just the wheels throughing it off. The yellow/redline is different but I dont use them anyway :wink: I drive by ear mainly. If you have any questions let me know.
-Wil

·
Registered
127 Posts
So you're telling me that there's still hope of my tach working without having to find a whole new cluster? Yay! How difficult/easy is it to swap the module? I still have my old gauge cluster sitting around and would like to have a working tach again. :D

·
Registered
793 Posts
My 82 has the 130mph stock :)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Just the unbeliveable number of screws :!: in several different sizes. Once those are out it is just two screws to swap the modules. Once I had them out I noticed that the numbers stamped on the housing are just 1 digit apart. 645 versus 644 or something.
-Wil

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks for the info Dean. I took apart my old gauge cluster today and it was pretty easy. Now tomorrow I'll have to take the "real" gauge cluster out from the car. Oh and I think I'll make the gauge cluster blue as well.

About the RPM module, is that plug and play? I think all I see are some screws holding it in place. Will it work properly by just screwing it in and replacing the old module? Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
229 Posts
OK, a 'little' off-topic here - but does anyone know what the max kph display is on the digital dashes? I always assumed that it would be 999kph (yae-ha! - wait 'till I get the 1JZ in!), but as I think about it, I'm not so sure.

- Justin
JZA-61 in progress
without speed or boost-cut defenders for the moment - so limmited to 180kph by the ecu.

·
Registered
153 Posts
JZA-61 said:
OK, a 'little' off-topic here - but does anyone know what the max kph display is on the digital dashes? I always assumed that it would be 999kph (yae-ha! - wait 'till I get the 1JZ in!), but as I think about it, I'm not so sure.

- Justin
JZA-61 in progress
without speed or boost-cut defenders for the moment - so limmited to 180kph by the ecu.
Justin,

I've had mine showing 210kph and it didn't seem like it was going to stop anytime soon. :twisted:

The car still had heaps in it but I wasn't willing to go any faster than that, was running on old suspension at the time.

·
Super Moderator
10,577 Posts
guess you'll just have to find out. But I'm guessing the guage will keep going long after your car hits its max speed. I like the digital gauges, no obvious speed limits, and great for trips across the border (in NA at least) as it can switch back and forth between kmph and mph

1 - 14 of 14 Posts