Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Photos I took yesterday from the Gumball 3000 Rally launch - San Francisco to Miami: http://www.internetmediastudio.com/gumball/

Want to know what the Gumball Rally is? More info here: http://www.gumball3000.com Put on by Maximillion Cooper, it's the modern day Cannonball Run - 3000 miles long. Last years event was from New York to Los Angeles.

Roughly 150 cars entered, from Ferraris and Lamborghinis to Mini Coopers and Chevy Avalanche Trucks. There's even a Kenworth diesel truck entered this year. They are supposed to arrive in Miami on April 22nd.

We took my friend Mike's 300ZX twin turbo, and were in the middle of the pack of cars from S.F. to Sacramento on I-80, and then we turned onto I-5 south and came home. We had fun chasing a Lamborghini Murcielago from downtown S.F. to the Goldengate bridge...in and out of traffic. He was impossible to keep up with, and once we got to the Golden Gate - he was GONE.

We saw 5 or 6 cars already pulled over by the CHP on I-80, only about 1/2 way to Sacramento - and unfortunately the Koenigsegg (pictured here: http://www.internetmediastudio.com/gumball/pages/P1010172.htm ) had already broken down just minutes outside of San Francisco. A flat bed truck was backing up to it as we were driving by. According to what we were told, there are only 12 Koenigseggs in the world. This particular one was flown to California from Europe, in a cargo plane and the owner had high hopes of getting to run it up to 230 mph or so out in the Nevada desert someplace. Hopefully they got it fixed.

Stopped at a gas station just off I-80 and this Lamborghini Jalpa http://www.internetmediastudio.com/gumball/pages/P1010074.htm pulled in also with some sort of smoke coming from the engine compartment - didn't smell very good either.

We had a good time. Hope you like the photos.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Dammit!! We need some cool shit like that on the East Coast. You damn Left Coasters get all the fun!! ;)

Seriously... looks like a blast!

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Supra Bob said:
Dammit!! We need some cool shit like that on the East Coast. You damn Left Coasters get all the fun!! ;)

Seriously... looks like a blast!
Bob,

Last years event began in New York, and ended in Los Angeles. This year it started in San Francisco and ends in Miami. You east coasters haven't been left out :D

·
Super Moderator
8,362 Posts
Another reminder that my bank account is wayyyyy too small :cry: The new Viper looks pretty menacing in black. Haven't seen one yet in person surprisingly.

·
Registered
791 Posts
What? No Mk II Supras? Bah!

Damn, if I knew it was today, I woulda driven up to SF just to take a million pics of them cars! Oh well, at least you got some, and they look really good too! Thanks for sharing!

Bob, you can come out of your corner now...

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Flyin' Hawaiian said:
What? No Mk II Supras? Bah!

Damn, if I knew it was today, I woulda driven up to SF just to take a million pics of them cars! Oh well, at least you got some, and they look really good too! Thanks for sharing!

Bob, you can come out of your corner now...
I've been following the Gumball for a while now, and I knew when the next event would be. After the parade lap around the city, they left SF at like 7:30pm or so...and believe me, when the cars got out on the city streets, they vanished every which way....each one thinking he/she knew the fastest way to get to the Golden Gate Bridge and out of town.

We were right there in the middle of it, and it was just insanity....cars dicing in out of traffic at ballistic speeds. When the cars got onto I-80 towards Sacramento...they really opened up. Even in heavy traffic, it was like watching a Formula One race. Just amazing.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Heh... LMK if the owner of that car is giving try-outs for the co-pilot position... I'll even bring the badge and code lights...

·
Administrator
7,186 Posts
I already secured that position ;) bmracing/remus-usa will be representing baby. We couldnt muster up the presidents '03 SL500 with 20" HREs tho :(

Supra Bob said:
Heh... LMK if the owner of that car is giving try-outs for the co-pilot position... I'll even bring the badge and code lights...

·
Super Moderator
8,362 Posts

·
Heroic Autobot
705 Posts
LOL, I wish I could be in it next year...

"...but we do like variety – nationalities, cars, ages, professions. It is often just who catches our eye."

So...does a MK II count as variety, or do I need to get an AMC Pacer racer put together?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Awesome pictures, I think the most expensive speeding ticket ever given was in one of the first gumball runs. If I remember correctly it was for doing 195 in a 65 and passing on the right shoulder. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $159,000 fine. Some day I'll do that...... some day...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts