Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

H4 Headlights

4K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  thor20 
#1 ·
Has anyone purchased those "h4 lenses and bulbs that replace our dim sealed headlights. I've seen them all over ebay and I was wondering if it was worth it . I've seen them from $24.99-$69.99.
Thanx,
Brian

#5 ·
Hey All,

I am lucky that in Australia we did not get the sealed beams as headlights... They must be a bugger to change.

My whole family have changed our headlight bulbs to Phillips Blue Vision or Clear Vision (can't remember. My brother is the one who changed it) in both the main headlight and fog lights. They are an improvement in lighting up the road.

That is my 2 cents :oops:

Cheers.

#7 ·
I got nailed running my old 4Runner (Mike's) thru state inspection with Hella E-Codes several years ago. The guy noticed the lense pattern, said they didnt say DOT on them, and failed me. I drove home, swapped the sealed beams back in, and got reinspected. Of course the Hellas went right back in when I returned home. That was the only trouble I had with them - I never had an oncoming policeman pull me over... I run 55/100W bulbs, so they are virtually indistinguishable from the sealed beams in low beam mode. But the high beams kick major butt! Always fun to "light somebody up" when they cut me off - especially with the 4Runner sitting so high up.

It isn't hard to swap the headlights on a mk2, so run the E-Codes until its time for DMV inspection.

#9 ·
well, we never have inspections in michigan, I could rip off just about everything excepts headlights and my seatbelts and get away with it. Not that I'd want to, but the point remains :) I figure once I graduate in two months, with my full ride to college, that'll leave me some money to fix my rustbomb supra :) I'm going with the engine dress, the lights, the stereo, paintjob, alla the good stuff. Now to hop over into the tire section and find cheap custom rims...Joy.

#10 ·
This would be the one i would purchase if i purschased them from www.raylights.com. Just wondering

5¼" x 7¼" (200mm) H4 Large Rectangular

Prices are for two lamps and two bulbs
These are European E-Code Lamps

Pair with 78155 60/55 (Standard) $78.34
Pair with 78158 100/55 $86.12
Pair with 78159 100/80 $86.70
Pair with 78150 60/55 Xenon $91.88
Pair with 78159Y 110/85 Yellow Star $101.

#11 ·
I'll second the Neolites from ClassicGarage.com + we get 10% more off with the "supragroup" discount code.

#12 ·
i dont have a pair in any supra yet. but got a pair from jcwhitney in the 4x4 90/110. mwebber likes em when im behind him :roll: there nice and bright so i can see the mudholes comming way before i hit em!

on a side note. any one see a projector style h-4 kit? i know i saw one a while back.....

#13 ·
I got some Hella lamps from Classicgarage.com (used the discount on the FAQ) about 2 years ago... very easy to install. Probably the 2nd easiest thing I've done, other than the Lewitz strut bar :)

I also put in some 80/100 watt bulbs in... very bright :twisted:
It made a huge difference at night... I could see much clearer, and blind the crap outta people who like to drive with thier own ricer brights on. I recommend getting the super white bulbs, without that blue tint coming out.

Only downside is that the pattern tends to put a tad more light on the driver side, since they are Euro lights. But hasn't bothered many motorists that I could tell. The Supra lamp brackets face the lamp kinda down, unlike SUVs.

And the law? I've never had probs. But here in Oklahoma, we don't even have inspections anymore... really gross exhausts are common :(

#14 ·
In a drunken e-bay spree I got some H4 lights for my 83 P-type :oops: (and some other random items). They are Diamond brand head lamps. They are just some shoddy plastic lights that came with some no name bulbs, but they are bright as hell (a lot better then stock) and they were pretty cheap. However, had I been sober I wouldn't have bought them...

The dangers of 24/7 bidding. :D

#15 ·
I bought a set of replacement lights from eurolights.com and I'm very happy with them. They are alot brighter than the stock lights and the high beams are great. I am using Hella 55/60W Xenon premium plus 50% bulbs in them that I purchased through Susquehanna Motor Sports(http://catalog.com/susq/hella/bulbs.htm). They don't have the blue look like some of the bulbs that try to look like HID but they are noticibly brighter than standard H4's. Also the lenses are made of glass and not plastic. The beam pattern I believe is European spec.

#16 ·
superneatdave said:
well, we never have inspections in michigan, I could rip off just about everything excepts headlights and my seatbelts and get away with it. Not that I'd want to, but the point remains :) I figure once I graduate in two months, with my full ride to college, that'll leave me some money to fix my rustbomb supra :) I'm going with the engine dress, the lights, the stereo, paintjob, alla the good stuff. Now to hop over into the tire section and find cheap custom rims...Joy.
Dave, I have run Hella H4's on 2 Supras over the past 4 years here in the Michigan and have never had any trouble with cops, etc. I highly recommend them. By the way, where are you going to school?

#17 ·
Hello,

i like to put some HID lo/hi beam in one of my Supra but have to think about headlight !
I know most of headlight found on ebay are just crap, but maybe those called "projector" with lens are better for my project ?

#18 ·
#19 ·
I have to agree but if it's dont right (and I've seen it done) it makes a huge difference in how well you see. The Ebay kits suck you can get better piece by looking around and getting components that work properly. My brother just did a set for my mom's miata and it's awesome. No terrible glare like those kits too. But it was a bit more than the ebay kits

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.