Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, anyone insuring through Hagerty?? I recently found out they will insure my car in Canada as a classic for far less than half (more like almost a quarter) of what I pay for through my current insurer.

just trying to get some thoughts, opinions, etc... and hopefully from some Canadians as to how this company is to deal with (claims, etc...)

thanks!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I'd be intrigued to know this as well...will be following this thread with interest...

Thanks for posting...

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Ya I was curious about this when I saw a commercial on TV. I thought it was just the US...
Hopefully Canada... it's worth calling about to get a rate. I pay too much even with combined discounts etc.
Then again it's my age and gender lol.

·
Registered
182 Posts
In BC we don't even have a choice. Insurance corporation of British Columbia is a provincial entity and the only insurance provider. We also pay the highest rates in Canada. I guess they can charge whatever they want if they're the only show in town. Sorry for the threadjack

·
Super Moderator
7,286 Posts

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
they also have a "tuner" coverage, i tried to go with them, but my driving record is quite a mess. :sadsmilie so they refused my application.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have had Hargety insurance on my 70 Cuda for almost 8 years now. Current coverage for loss is $140k, and annual cost is under $900. No mileage limits. Great customer service! Hope this helps some of you.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
^^ Cool. I was skeptical about collector car insurance because of mileage limits... old owner of my car had that (old guy) and he had a limit
I just have regular insurance on it since it is my summer dd
And that sucks about BC insurance... I never knew that.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Interesting that they use agreed value coverage with no appraisal required. I had to have one to get into Silver Wheels. To my knowledge, simply the best coverage for the least price, the cost actually went down this year.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
for Canadians... they quoted me as low as $180/yr for barebones coverage and up to $358/yr will ALL options taken... $358/yr is basically 3.5 months of coverage with my current insurance so I think I'll give them a try, someone also mentioned Lant's to me so I'm guessing either one will do... I'll have to get a quote from Lant's.

Funny thing is that after asking my agent why I had another increase she told me that, because my car was too "old now" it would be difficult to find parts to fix it if I was ever in an accident and had to submit a claim... I told her that sounded like BS because I'm able to find anything on the internet... lol.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I've had Hagerty's Insurance on my Supra since the restoration. My cost is less than $250 per year for full coverage, which also includes a reasonable amount of spare parts. They were great to deal with during the signup but I don't have any experience with claims (thank goodness). The primary concern expressed by the salesperson was that the Supra was not a daily driver and would not be used as a daily driver if any of my family’s primary vehicles failed. This was handled just through a conversation and pics of my car in different stages of the restore. All-in-all, a very simple online signup process.

The company is a huge supporter of the classic car market and will even assist in finding parts should you have a claim; although they'll never beat this forum for that. I would say if you are eligible for Hagerty's Insurance it is worth looking into.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was all excited to jump on the hagerty band wagon, only to my bad fortune that they require you to have 10 years driving experience,, I'm assuming that's liscensed experience.. being 23 leaves me under the cutoff.. just a heads up for any youngsters looking to get in on it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm with hagerty, so far it's been great, no restrictions at all.
I can put unlimited miles on it, any hour of the day. Now I am 31, you need ten years experience apparently. I have two other cars plated all year round. I also have an az liscence never been in an accident. It's got 7000 in coverage for 180 per year.
Million liability, comprehensive and collision. So for 255 I plate my supra and insure it all year long. Any other questions?

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
I'm with hagerty, so far it's been great, no restrictions at all.
I can put unlimited miles on it, any hour of the day. Now I am 31, you need ten years experience apparently. I have two other cars plated all year round. I also have an az liscence never been in an accident. It's got 7000 in coverage for 180 per year.
Million liability, comprehensive and collision. So for 255 I plate my supra and insure it all year long. Any other questions?
I've heard this several times, and want to believe it... but their webstie says other wise. Do you have a specific plan with them?

http://www.hagerty.ca/Collector-car-insurance/Do-I-qualify

Usage

Hagerty provides coverage for collector vehicles that are used on a limited basis — e.g. club functions, exhibitions, organized meets, tours and limited pleasure driving.
Storage

Collector vehicles must be stored in an enclosed and secure structure when not in use. Qualifying storage locations include private residential garages, private pole buildings or barns and rental storage units.
Driver eligibility and driving history

Generally, one or two minor traffic violations or accidents are acceptable. We are not able to offer coverage to drivers with a serious infraction within the past 3 years, such as an alcohol-related offence, reckless driving or an excessive speed violation.* Applicants and household drivers must have 10 or more years of driving experience. All household driving records are subject to review by an underwriter.
Regular-use vehicles

All household members with a valid driver’s licence must have a regular-use vehicle for daily driving. Motorcycles and public transportation are not considered regular use vehicles for our program. Applicants must also maintain regular-use insurance in his or her own name.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Thanks for heads up. I wish I could sign up... still gotta get hosed now cause im young lol

·
Registered
147 Posts
i didn't read the posts above BUT i have haggerty and have them on two of my cars a 67 vw bug modded and my 86 celicasupra. the supra is 154yr for 8k coverage unlimited mileage they are great never any problems with them. my bug is more since its covered for 12k and its modded, with real porsche fuchs 16in wheels bored/stroked motor etc etc and its around 375 for both of them including the 25 dollar charge haggerty gives you.

Scott

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1982 Dragon, how old are you??

The supra as far as I know does not qualify as a collector car, which is probably why the car is allowed unlimited mileage, if the car was say an early 70s Celica I can see them being more fussy with mileage.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts