Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Not a big NASCAR fan but the fathers day race in Sonoma was fun to watch. Our own Kasey Kahne from Enumclaw WA won the race - on a road course.
thats good! :thumbsup:
i heard some teams hired different drivers just for road courses.. is that true?

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
This is Fookin Hilarious!! Cam, remember you PMed me friday for help, and I said I was out the door soon on a trip? Well, that trip was to INFINEON, yes I was at the race, yes if F****n ruled, yes, you all really dont get it, Oh this thread ROCKS....There was video of IROC porsches as part of the warmup....I have a pic of my wife "drifting" her wheelchair in Turn 11....Didnt Ayrton Senna start off in stock cars? Didnt Juan Manuel Fangio? Didnt Loeb(Current WRC Dominator) once say racing stock cars was "too hard"?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
This is Fookin Hilarious!! Cam, remember you PMed me friday for help, and I said I was out the door soon on a trip? Well, that trip was to INFINEON, yes I was at the race, yes if F****n ruled, yes, you all really dont get it, Oh this thread ROCKS....There was video of IROC porsches as part of the warmup....I have a pic of my wife "drifting" her wheelchair in Turn 11....Didnt Ayrton Senna start off in stock cars? Didnt Juan Manuel Fangio? Didnt Loeb(Current WRC Dominator) once say racing stock cars was "too hard"?
sabastien loeb did actually say that :sadbanana:

im sure a race like infineon would be a bunch of fun to go too.. just watching nascar on tv is so boring!! :rolleyes:
i think i need to experience a nascar race one day!

·
Registered
577 Posts
i think i need to experience a nascar race one day!
Thats like alot of sporting events actually. I was never a fan of Hockey until I went to a game...what a drunken brawl! It was a blast.

When I lived in Tucson, my roommates girlfriend worked as a sales rep for Kellogs (cereal) and every time Nascar came to Phoenix she would get VIP passes for 4. Kellogs had its own tent with food and beer and we had pit passes as well. It was a blast. We were usually so hammered by the time the race started (and yes, were talking starting drinking at like 10AM, lol) they could have been racing baby buggies around a may pole and we would have cheered.

My wife and I (with a couple of my buddies in tow) would go almost every Saturday night to Tucson Raceway Park and watch "roundy round" racing. My favorites were the mini stocks (celicas always had my attention). Ive been to races regularly at Emerald Speedway (dirt track, cottage grove), Mesa Marin (asphalt high banked, Bakersfield), and TRP...and its always been a fun, family oriented experience, that I completely enjoyed.

It is different seeing it live, thats for sure.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ah. Sorry i just cant imagine anyone wanting to drive in an oval for hours on end at 200+mph. Thats why i like America! Because no one road is the same! So it keeps things interesting. And i dont care so much about American motorsports. I drive a Supra anyway! =) I wouldnt mind having the new IS 300 from Lexus. Rally racing and Drift events are the only thing that can really hold my attention. I just cant stand circuit tracks. No offense to any motorsport guys on the forums! And im glad that they finally let Toyota into NASCAR. Now if the fan base would just be a little more accecpting of minority drivers and girls they'd be set. Sorry couldnt resist a poke at this topic.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have to say that the sanitized 'template' cars of today's NASCAR have made it a bit boring. The only things that let you know a Chevy from a Ford from a Toyota are the stickers. Give me the aero wars of the late sixties/early seventies. The Chevy Lagunas, Ford Torinos, Dodge Chargers. I want to see an end to stupid restrictor plates and what not. The thing that made NASCAR fun to watch was the fact that the cars running looked just like the ones in the showroom. Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday. Don't even get me started on the 'Car of Tomorrow' crapfest that has become NASCAR. I know, I know it is all about the driver and the set up now. BULLCRAP!!!! it is all about the money!!!! Yes, it is fun to go to the event, but I miss when the cars actually looked like cars and the manufacturers actually tried to design a car to win on the track and not settle a bottom line issue...

I will get off the soapbox now...

·
Registered
466 Posts
nascar is boring..
and its all aabout rays millens GENESIS.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Nascar has its' place. No one can argue with the numbers it generates. I have it on in the background when I work in the carport. My attention span dwindles if I sit and try to watch it flag to flag!:32:

IMHO F-1 Rules! 18,000 rpm. Fastest lap times seen in years. 4.5 g-forces in the corners! Best of all there is a 2 hour limit. Oh, I forgot they race in the rain too! Like to see those Nascar guys on rain tires. LOL!

Good times.

Matt

·
Registered
145 Posts
eh this year in motorsports kinda sucks anyways due to the economy. a lot of rally teams did have to pull from the wrc, leaving drivers stuck and forced to drive in a different car :( but next year better be better for all motorsports.

Like to see those Nascar guys on rain tires. LOL!
yes it did actually happened once LOL in japan i believe, they pretty much had to stop the whole race because the drivers couldnt handle the conditions of the rain haha

·
Registered
311 Posts
You guys want real racing watch Formula 1. Thats real racing i have tons of respect for those drivers not to mention Danica Patrick woot woot. :naughty: Wow.

·
Registered
386 Posts
yes it did actually happened once LOL in japan i believe, they pretty much had to stop the whole race because the drivers couldnt handle the conditions of the rain haha
Not to get all top gun on you, but to quote Robert Duvall from 'Days of Thunder'

"You're driving a car with twice the weight on half of the tires" or something to that effect. I do like F1 racing, but there are great differences in the two cars. Stock cars do not generate near the downforce that an F1 car does. They also are racing in a car that weighs nearly twice what the F1 does and the tires are no where near the same width of the F1 tires. Hence in rain, the stock cars tend to hydroplane a lot quicker and easier than the F1 cars. I love watching the F1 cars running in the rain. The rooster tails off of the tires are most impressive.
Speaking of F1 racing, everybody remember this shell commercial?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iItzJc-NHI4

My favorite is the second car from :23 to about :55 Although the 3rd car is pretty hot!

·
Registered
145 Posts
You guys want real racing watch Formula 1. Thats real racing i have tons of respect for those drivers not to mention Danica Patrick woot woot. :naughty: Wow.
eh i believe real racing is rally racing, next is f1. wrc drivers have to go through the hardest and most dangerous stages all around the world for racing. its not just about tarmac wet/dry lap racing like f1, but the best driver in all conditions going as fast as possible on public roads, like wet/dry/mud gravel, wet/dry/icy tarmac. common there's nothing that beats it.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
I grew up watching guys like Dan Gurney win in Nascar AND F1. Im not gonna put ANY series or driver down. Cept anything not settled by Actual Timed Runs......Runs for flame suit :naughty:

·
Registered
341 Posts
I like the "toilet" posts. This thread is getting to the real emotions of the racing enthusiast's!:laugh:

Matt

·
Registered
887 Posts
Not to get all top gun on you, but to quote Robert Duvall from 'Days of Thunder'

"You're driving a car with twice the weight on half of the tires" or something to that effect. I do like F1 racing, but there are great differences in the two cars. Stock cars do not generate near the downforce that an F1 car does. They also are racing in a car that weighs nearly twice what the F1 does and the tires are no where near the same width of the F1 tires. Hence in rain, the stock cars tend to hydroplane a lot quicker and easier than the F1 cars. I love watching the F1 cars running in the rain. The rooster tails off of the tires are most impressive.
Speaking of F1 racing, everybody remember this shell commercial?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iItzJc-NHI4

My favorite is the second car from :23 to about :55 Although the 3rd car is pretty hot!

Actually lighter car + wider tire = more hydroplaning. Physics. Down force might counter act tho?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
To each his own!

My personal preference is road racing - be it stock bodied or open wheeled, but I must agree that Nascar brought motorsports to the general public in this country in a way that no other venue has.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts