Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited an oil filter wrench from my father that I had never seen anywhere else.
In a garage clean up I lost the darn thing.

I have had bad luck using band style oil filter wrenches on my Celica Supra's.
If the oil filter is over tightened the band doesn't have enough friction to twist the filter.

There are plier type oil filter wrenches which work, but I find that the handles tend to be a little long to get in under the exhaust manifold.
I did some searching and found the style my father had. It is called a handcuff style oil filter wrench.
They are available for a reasonable price and definitely bite into the filter to ensure you can spin it off.

This one fits oil filter diameters from 2.75" to 3.54" (70mm to 90mm). Our filters are 3" (76mm) diameter so this fits really well.

It fits perfectly!

I'm posting this because if I hadn't had one from my father, I would never had known this style existed.
They aren't usually stocked at most auto parts stores, so you may have to search for them.

They are available for anywhere from US$10 to US$ 30

This is a "Boeray Adjustable Oil Filter Wrench Universal Handcuff Style Remover Tool" in Medium size.

Boeray Wrench Reseller

There seem to be a lot of resellers so shop around. The one I bought came from China Delivery was reasonably quick.

I just thought I would make sure people knew this style was out there.

Dale

·
Founding Member
6,552 Posts
They aren't usually stocked at most auto parts stores, so you may have to search for them.
I find its useless to go to a retail store anymore at all. Never have anything I need. Except for fresh groceries, I shop 99% online now. Saves time and gasoline. Cool tool.

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
Cool! I've never seen one of those.

I recently tried one of these bad boys and picked one up. Man do they ever work well! Don't mess up the filter either.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've never seen one of this style either.

I recently tried one of these bad boys and picked one up. Man do they ever work well! Don't mess up the filter either.

Very interesting.
And nice and compact so you can get in without a big hassle.

It looks like this style and the handcuff style both use the leverage of the movement to increase pressure on the filter.
The more you torque, the more gripping power is generated.
As you say, because of the firm grip, the filter doesn't get damaged in the process.

Is there a name to this style? And where did you get it?

·
Super Moderator
8,611 Posts
Best kind are the socket kind that fit over the end of the filter, but unfortunately you need a unique one for each filter. I usually just take mine off and on by hand.

Reactions: 82TURBOSUPRA

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
Well obviously tighten them by hand, but generally if you've tightened them enough by hand, they're too tight to remove by hand after 5000kms of use and countless heat cycles I find. A filter loosening off on its own would be catastrophic.

Dale, Lordco had the one I bought with their specialty tools.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have five cars with completely different placement, so even if I have one like these:

It won't fit on all of them, but does the job ok.
I have used an old timingbelt and a stick, (works well on most of them) and if it's all seized, I have had to chuck a screwdriver through one.. the problem was that I tore open the whole filter, and had to use a chisel on the rim to get it loose anyway.. :p

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
Sandpaper makes these work:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sandpaper makes these work:
You mean scuffing them up with sandpaper or is that a strip of emery glued to the inside of the band?
That's too much work for me. I hire my dog to burp for me, I'm so lazy...

That's actually a pretty good idea if the band wrench is all you have, but the handcuff style I picked up have those teeth that grip really well. It doesn't actually crush the filter, it just gives that little bit of grip that the emery paper gives. Without things like this, but smooth bands just can't get bite.

I agree with everyone about hand tightening the filter is all that's required, but vibrations, or Mr. Lube techs can cause the filters to tighten.

I was dreading the thought of having to punch the filter with a screw driver to twist it off. I've never done it before, and I can just imagine myself and the engine compartment being covered in oil after I'm done with that.

Dale

1 - 9 of 9 Posts