Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im getting from alot of pple that supra's arnt really great at turns. what and how much would it cost for new strut braces ans springs/shocks and anti roll bars lowering what am i looking at spending on upgrades herte

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
wingnut said:
im getting from alot of pple that supra's arnt really great at turns.
who said that :?
wingnut said:
what and how much would it cost for new strut braces ans springs/shocks and anti roll bars lowering what am i looking at spending on upgrades herte
Have you tried looking in the suspension section? Im sure there is more than enough info there to answer this question :wink:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
wingnut said:
im getting from alot of pple that supra's arnt really great at turns. what and how much would it cost for new strut braces ans springs/shocks and anti roll bars lowering what am i looking at spending on upgrades herte
They don't know what the hell they're talking about.

MkIIs are great GTs.

·
Registered
13,123 Posts
...get hip waders and umbrella....

Guys the B.S. is flying in here. I think I found the source... Yes, whoever made that comment, seems to be coming straight from their mouth...

--BillyM

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
naw it was just some freinds of mine in town. i didnt know there was a suspoesion forum sorry

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
4 wheel independent suspension tuned by Lotus w/LSD and thats not good enough? Do these friends drive Honduhs? :lol:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Supra is great as a GT car. It can't out corner the cornering cars (MR2, NSX, Rx7) and can't out straitline the straitline cars (70 454 Chevelle SS comes to mind), but it Can out corner the straitline cars and outrun the cornering cars. In short, it is a great mix of both (as a good GT car should be)

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Well said, Sparky.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
yep, thats exactly why I've always liked supras. They're a wonderful compramise between a high reving, light little corner carver (like an AE86) and a traditional muscle car. Muscle cars have too much of a torque bias for my taste, too much heft and crappy handling, but light little screamers are too torqueless and don't have enough mass for my own comfort (a little bit more mass makes a car more stable in slides, less twitchy and they hold up a little better in accidents). Supra, just right! :D

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
my friend just took me for a ride in his dads 85... damn, what a nice car, such a perfect GT car, fast enough to get in trouble, stylish enough to get looks, and tight enough to handle almost everything youd want to do on the streets.

this car is mint, got an hks (i think) turbo kit, from days gone by, and a nice tight suspension with some 8 spoke watanabes.
now i know what a mkII should be, in my eyes.

it was a great drive, we dusted a couple older camaros and a late 80s 5.0, then chased a couple of friends in subaru WRXs up a nice twisy hill (groat road, for those of you who know the city).

i cant wait to get mine running so i can tag along next time :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
um no i have no freinds that drive honda's. drive mostly nissans or older scobies one freind of mine has a 91 t bird with a 5.0 and it has some balls in teh corners

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
:werd: I definitly agree, Supras are a great combo of both but the suspension CAN be tightened up a bit with shocks, bars and braces and made to handle better in the twisties

·
Registered
118 Posts
Handling

I've noticied a major improvement with the mods listed in my sig. I made the front strut brace in about 10 minutes with some steel pipe, and cut semi-circles out of 1/4" plate. The WAS a requirement to "customize" :p: the underside of the hood for clearance, but I doubt my Supra will be attending Pebble Beach any time soon.

Dogstar - yes I know (SC)groat road. Friend of mine flipped his TR6 off the centre rail going down there back in late 80's.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
groats fun, as long as you take it in moderation, lol

its gotten worse/better, depending how you look at it.
not sure how, but they seem to have tightened it up somehow.
i think to discourage sport bikers, but it doesnt work, cause now they see it as a challenge.

·
Registered
80 Posts
When I lived in Jacksonville, Florida, there was this hairpin turn on a back road on the way to work. Every day I would push it a little harder as long as there was no other traffic around. Howling tires, white knuckles on steering wheel, seat belts holding me in, I finally chickened out. The 1982 Supra P Type never let me down, and this was while I was running the original Dunlops.

S

·
0 Posts
We can outrun an nsx? haha ya this question is just kind of silly. Get some suspension mods like the ones you mentioned or find more in the suspension forum and I'm sure you will be both more than satisfied and be able to out corner your friends. Now if you were trying to build some kind of race purpose car then you may have to think more.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts