Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Celica Supra
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car was driving fine then I started it a few days ago and brakes are super hard. Assuming brake booster went out. Local parts stores can’t seem to find it anywhere. Any recommendations on where to get one would be appreciated as well as if this could be from something else.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
make sure it's not just the vaccume line...

·
Super Moderator
8,733 Posts
Just take a vacuum pump and apply vacuum to the booster. If it holds vacuum for several minutes it is fine

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Light Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Steering wheel Gas

just the one.

Reactions: Zack_Schiffler

·
Registered
1985 Celica Supra
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don’t really know that much about the subject and that’s is what my more mechanically inclined friends said it probably was. I replaced the vacuum lines because they were starting to fall apart but still having the issue

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
brakes are super hard. Assuming brake booster went out.
Can you be more specific when you say brakes are super hard? When I brake hard I stop on a dime. Just hope the dime is not in your pocket.
my more mechanically inclined friends said it probably was.
Did they actually look at your car or you just asked them like you asked here? A visual inspection by a more mechanically inclined friend might've found perhaps a cracked vacuum line or maybe the reservoir is low or maybe brake fluid leaking around the master cylinder or leaking onto the floor near the pedal, etc. etc. A simple visual inspection is the first step in shooting trouble.
My guess is you got a wag (Wild Ass Guess) from a friend and now you're looking for a swag (scientific wild ass guess) here. Give us a little more info to go on, but doing long-distance troubleshooting can be hit or miss depending on what little info you give us.

·
Registered
1985 Celica Supra
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you be more specific when you say brakes are super hard? When I brake hard I stop on a dime. Just hope the dime is not in your pocket.

Did they actually look at your car or you just asked them like you asked here? A visual inspection by a more mechanically inclined friend might've found perhaps a cracked vacuum line or maybe the reservoir is low or maybe brake fluid leaking around the master cylinder or leaking onto the floor near the pedal, etc. etc. A simple visual inspection is the first step in shooting trouble.
My guess is you got a wag (Wild Ass Guess) from a friend and now you're looking for a swag (scientific wild ass guess) here. Give us a little more info to go on, but doing long-distance troubleshooting can be hit or miss depending on what little info you give us.
So brakes are still working fine and stopping the car there just isn’t any assist in pushing them down. Basically how they feel when you push the car in neutral and then you use the brakes. typically they have a bit more give to them. Should I try bleeding them first to see if that fixes the issue? I haven’t seen any brake fluid leaking

·
Super Moderator
8,733 Posts
Like I said take a $10 vacuum pump and apply vacuum to the booster. If it holds vacuum its good and if it doesn't it bad. No one over the internet can tell you if its bad or not. If the master cylinder leaks they typically dump down inside the booster. You have to pull the 4 nuts and move the master cylinder out and take a peak inside.

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Like Aaron said, check the vacuum first. Let us know what you find out. The point I was making is that you need to diagnose the problem (troubleshoot) before fixing it. You're ready to replace the booster w/o even seeing if that's your problem or bleeding w/o knowing what the problem is yet. Your method of just throwing parts at a car without diagnosing the problems first can get very expensive with these older cars.

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Do you have a TSRM? Or at least a Haynes or Chilton's?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts